Factory toyota tow hook?

marc
Winch master

Factory toyota tow hook?

Postby marc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:25 am

Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone happens to know if the factory tow hooks on a KZN130 surf are strong enough for 4wd use??

They look just like the one on the LEFT. NOT the one on the right :).

Has one bolted to each chassis rail on the front..

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODUzWDE2MDA=/ ... ~60_35.JPG

Thanks all :)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Factory toyota tow hook?

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 am

marc wrote:Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone happens to know if the factory tow hooks on a KZN130 surf are strong enough for 4wd use??

That one on the left ain't factory, it is a proper rated recovery hook....how much, you'll have to look at it and see for yourself.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Your hook needs to be rated, if it has 10 000LB stamped on it then yes if it is mounted correctly with rated bolts it is ok for 4wd use.

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Crash bandicoot wrote:
marc wrote:Hi guys, Just wondering if anyone happens to know if the factory tow hooks on a KZN130 surf are strong enough for 4wd use??

That one on the left ain't factory, it is a proper rated recovery hook....how much, you'll have to look at it and see for yourself.

Its got Toyota looking bolts through it and the little spring strop retaining bit and all but just removed it and no load rating written on it? Looks factory as...

I looked at the ones on the likes of 4wd bits site but they look like they have abit of a say 5mm wider base footprint which will hit my winch mount bracket I think :/..

I thought just replace the bolts with known 8.8 or 10.9 grade stuff if I can find it in M12 x1.25 but yeah now im a little worried about the hooks with no stamping but definitely look like factory Toyota stuff as my mates untouched Surf has them too?! identical as. (they are threaded into factory bolt holes in the rails about 34mm apart.

Thanks for the reply's guys

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Im sure the factory hooks have "dimples" between the bolts & are cast...So being cast aren't suitable as will snap rather than bend to release rope like forged hooks do.

stu_71
Hard Yaka

Postby stu_71 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I took some of those off a Prado 90 series. Look identical to yours. The proper rated hooks are cheap as really. I dont know whether Mr Toyota designed them for "NZ abuse" so I just swopped them for piece of mind.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:48 pm

cant say I've ever heard of or seen a Mr Toyo hook fail there must have been millions of them out there on luxes and old cruisers over the years :D

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:23 am

tallsam66 wrote:Im sure the factory hooks have "dimples" between the bolts & are cast...So being cast aren't suitable as will snap rather than bend to release rope like forged hooks do.

That's the buggers,
Not really a money issue as yes they are not badly priced just a fitment issue as the edge of my angle iron is quite close to the bolt holes :/.

Hmm, thanks for the input guys :)

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:25 am

stu_71 wrote:I took some of those off a Prado 90 series. Look identical to yours. The proper rated hooks are cheap as really. I dont know whether Mr Toyota designed them for "NZ abuse" so I just swopped them for piece of mind.

Yeah im in the same boat now just down to weather I can make new ones fit, Just had a spare set freshly powder coated too :/ lol knew I shouldn't have but was getting other stuff done at the same time so thought id save on a trip :(

Some pics side by side a 4500kg ridge ryder one at local super cheap

Even they don't want their hooks used for "snatch" recoveries in the small blurb on the packet lol?!
Last edited by marc on Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:29 am

derk wrote:cant say I've ever heard of or seen a Mr Toyo hook fail there must have been millions of them out there on luxes and old cruisers over the years :D

Lol thanks :D, BTW anyone whos tried and tested them out of curiosity? haha haven't been at this game too long but asked a couple mates and always been out with them in their trucks and they said the haven't seen one break but they were unsure if they were my exact "dimpled" ones on their mates toyo trucks.

polaarbear
Winch master

Postby polaarbear » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't know how good the Toyota ones are but as for the Supercheap ones, they will bend when used in anger.. A few years ago when we didn't know much better we were using a rigid strap to snatch with and managed to bend a Supercheap hook. Quite lucky it bent rather than breaking the bolts holding the hook on. So if a hook is too rigid it may not bend and could break the bolts or mounting instead resulting in a missile.

Bent Hook.jpg

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:39 pm

polaarbear wrote:I don't know how good the Toyota ones are but as for the Supercheap ones, they will bend when used in anger.. A few years ago when we didn't know much better we were using a rigid strap to snatch with and managed to bend a Supercheap hook. Quite lucky it bent rather than breaking the bolts holding the hook on. So if a hook is too rigid it may not bend and could break the bolts or mounting instead resulting in a missile.

Bent Hook.jpg

or if too rigid might bend the chassis ... way cheaper to replace a hook that to straighten a chassis.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:04 pm

As said previously, those rated ones will bend and release the strap before anything should break off the truck. I've got a Toyota one with the dimples, but never used it.

A couple of years ago I attempted a heavy snatch with one of those rated hooks from Repco/Supercheap etc, and the hook simply opened up and dropped the strap. I'd much have that than flying bits of steel. Obviously you would want to periodically check the condition of the mounting area and bolts for cracks/wear/corrosion too in order to prevent something bad happening.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:59 pm

polaarbear wrote:I don't know how good the Toyota ones are but as for the Supercheap ones, they will bend when used in anger.. A few years ago when we didn't know much better we were using a rigid strap to snatch with and managed to bend a Supercheap hook. Quite lucky it bent rather than breaking the bolts holding the hook on. So if a hook is too rigid it may not bend and could break the bolts or mounting instead resulting in a missile.

Bent Hook.jpg

Thanks mate! so you reckon the super cheep ones are ok??
Ridge Ryder 4500kg max load so aka 10,000lbs or close enough.
After measuring it today I think ill be able to make it work with my setup.

Chassis good where the bolts go atleast..

Cheers for the other comments guys and totally agree would rather that then flying bits of metal or bent truck..

Someone must have used the Toyota ones tho haha but think I will just keep them for ornaments if I can make those super cheep ones fit over the next couple of days :)

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Just found this, and this guy aka Bulletproof seems to like the Toyota hooks and some other guy in the page before this (pge 3) did some tests apparently

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10288&start=45

marc
Winch master

Postby marc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:24 pm

marc wrote:Just found this, and this guy aka Bulletproof seems to like the Toyota hooks and some other guy in the page before this (pge 3) did some tests apparently with varying results..

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10288&start=45

Return to “4wd Safety”