radio Channels

Suza
Hard Yaka

radio Channels

Postby Suza » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Have been doing a search around and can't find the answer so I thought that someone here my have it. My question is
Is there a protocol about who can use what PRS channel and where?
The reason I am asking is that a few of us were driving through Queens Town the other day and we using channel 11 and this really got up someone who demanded and not very nicely that we clear out of his channel cause in his town we weren't welcome to be using it he then started to jam the channel up.
End result was this pissed me off, we changed to another channel for a bit and left him to it although I may have flicked back over ever now and then just to see if I could get a reaction until my wife suggested I was being childish and I received a lecture about turning the other cheek
Anyway keen to hear some thoughts

trucked
Hard Yaka

Re: radio Channels

Postby trucked » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:24 pm

I think you just found some irritated person who thinks he owns that particular channel (he doesnt as cb and prs are public and the licence allows anyone to use them).

Prs and cb are public channels and not owned by individuals, govt owns them i assume.

The list below has the specs. Certain channels are for data but 11 is not one of them, 11 is the usual truckie one.

http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/licensees/types-of-licence/general-user-licences/citizen-band-radio
Last edited by trucked on Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeL200
Gadget Guy

Postby MikeL200 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:31 pm

PRS channels are basically a free for all, channels 1-8 and 31-38 are reserved for repeater use but nobody "owns" any specific channel.
Mike
1989 LandCruiser MWD BJ74 13BT
33 Deserthawk XMT.

[color=#FF4000]If guns kill people, then,
Spoons make people fat,
Pencils mis-spell words,
and Cars make people drive drunk.

021 666812

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Cheers guys that was my understanding, but I did want to make sure that I wasn't breaking some etiquette.
Next time I am through there I think I will try and engage with this individual a bit more

L-andy
Hard Yaka

Postby L-andy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Australia has officially allocated the channels mentioned above as data only and repeater channels respectively and also allocated an emergency channel (can't remember number). They also classify 11 as the "calling channel" and not to be used for conversation after contact has been made.

I have read somewhere that some expect the same rules to be adopted here but it hasn't been yet afaik.

Andy

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:30 pm

In town we have a lot of hotels and motels, might even be cleaning business's and the like using PRS to keep staff informed.. bugs us too but we just live with it.. Even get Kids using it too..lol Thing is is that they mostly use the 1/2 or 1 watt so our 5watt ones just take over the channel.. and then it gets interesting..lol we just say please use anther channel.. :lol: But it is mostly right in town.. so anywhere else is good.. As said before they are free to all who can use.. so we just be polite and if it gets heated.. just say this is our channel bugger off..lol na

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:02 pm

If u were using am cb 26mhz channel 11 is truckies, in town there is alot of chat but rule on highway seems to be alerts and say gday but then change for banter etc to another.

Like stated noone owns a channel, all owned channels are private and u wont get them on prs (uhf), no trucks are fitted with these so go nuts

Tonkatoy.
Hard Yaka

Postby Tonkatoy. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:55 am

Yeah I agree ^ the way I understand it is that channel 11 on both am and uhf is for making contact or calling in and dangers on the road (Cough cop on side of road cough) once contact made go to another channel to chat - But that is just my understanding.
If there's no Blood it ain't Hurt
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport
OIIIIO

hamboy
Hard Yaka

Postby hamboy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:51 pm

On AM ch11 in the trucks we chat away as much as we want and don't seem to upset anyone other than the oldschool HAM's. On PRS down here we have issues with the vineyards clogging up nearly all 40 channels, especially during harvest, and getting told in no uncertain terms to get off their channel.

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

hamboy wrote: On PRS down here we have issues with the vineyards clogging up nearly all 40 channels, especially during harvest, and getting told in no uncertain terms to get off their channel.

PRS (477mhz) is a public band . they should not be using it for commercial purposes . there are bands reserved for commercial use, which can be licensed accordingly .

27mhz Cb (11m Band) (26.9-27.3mhz) is also a public band but is designated for Telemetry and Telecontrol . ie public vehicle operations etc .
Why the old HAMS get upset about this band is because even a little 5w transmitter can send a signal a long way on HF . And people have no radio etiquette any more on the public bands . Its a very different story on the HAM bands .

standard radio operator ethics recommends band curtsey.
ie if another operator is trying to use the channel you are on . you change channel as they may not be aware of you or able to change channel themselves.

however as these are public bands and exclusivity is not granted . Any band hogging or threats should be reported .
http://www.rsm.govt.nz/cms/consumers/reception-problems/how-can-i-register-an-interference-complaint
Radio Spectrum Management take interference complaints seriously with large fines and confiscation ,if you or your equipment are deemed to be causing interference.
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

Postby coxsy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:07 pm

ran into commercial operater up here at mangere on channel 17, my son and I were on that channel, leaving home suddenly we heard talk of truck movement inside a warehouse
89 safari, pto winch, 33x15 simexs. sliders,75mm lift . turbo intercoolered

on2it
Hard Yaka

Postby on2it » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:07 pm

14, 30 and 16 are pretty busy with the warehouses and industrial area around highbrook (Auckland).
Can hear forklift drivers picking and packing pallets.
FJ62

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 pm

Any business is running a risk using PRS.... it is not criminal or even civil its the fact its an open channel and things can get malicious

I used PRS when logging but we used coded handsets... even with the coding option I had one time where we had some idiot call "road closed" whilst tree felling.... some random bastard who had been listening in.... thankfully his voice sounded wrong and questions were asked
They got parked up after that, just too risky

And this happened way before you could by handsets for under $30 lol any business on there is just asking for trouble

As for hot heads going off on air lol after 15yrs on logging channels.... that is an open invitation for anyone in the mood for windups, cat calls to playovers off the public radio stations.... since its anonymous alot of people can't resist
So I think your mate in Queenstown will give up soon lol

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 pm

on2it wrote:14, 30 and 16 are pretty busy with the warehouses and industrial area around highbrook (Auckland).
Can hear forklift drivers picking and packing pallets.

Some guys with a crane on Saturday were on channel 30 (iirc) on Saturday afternoon around Highbrook. I was sitting in my truck waiting for a mate to close his shop listening to them calling commands back and forth.

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info guys it has backed up what I thought.
For work we only use VHF cause of a, signal strength and b, security and privacy.

Return to “4wd Safety”