brakes failed couple times

crazykiwi
Winch master

brakes failed couple times

Postby crazykiwi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi guys new to 4wds took it for a quick drive to the river today crossing shelow water and playing in some mud afterwards droves for a bit in the dry then headed home hit the highway went to slow down to turn off and my brakes failed they came back to life after I stopped and pumped them a bit so took it easy and they was working fine again got into town stopped at diary then went home came round the corner to my street and my breaks went soft again for a short period this time
I know after being in a river it's good to pump the brakes a bit but I had used my brakes a bit before they failed what should I do? Or have done

Cheers only my 2nd day owning a 4wd it's a 96 isuzu wizard

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: brakes failed couple times

Postby mudlva » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 pm

You need to detail how they failed.
Pedal to the floor. Hard pedal but no action. Etc

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Pedal went straight to the floor and there was no friction at all had to pull handbrake to slow us down

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm

sounds like master cylinder,
im sure others should start giving their views

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Second time it wasnt as bad pedal went to floor but only had to pump once to get brakes back but that was a good 30 min after the first time it happened
Last edited by crazykiwi on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Ok thanks mudlva at least I know where to start now

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:51 am

Have you checked the fluid levels since this has happened? any leaks from the system?
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:53 am

yes was the first thing I done was check fluids all at good levels and doesn't appear to be any leaks it happened once today again started truck reversed out of drive and pedal went to floor only for one pump

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:49 am

personnally i would stop driving it till its sorted keeps coming back to master cylinder best i can think of

question when driving with foot on the pedal do you get a vibration coming back to you just wondering if you have warped the discs and on first pump you are pushing the caliper piston out to just about grabbing and section push the piston is now starting to work, this is even worse with worn pads and discs combonation.

would explain them bring good before the river playday and why its started after that. if the discs were hotas and driving straight into the water they could of easily buckled, especially if worn.

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:10 pm

yea good thinking mudlva no I don't get any vibration I have only just bought the truck and the brakes had been done for its last wof 2 weeks ago I had stoped to let the dog out and was driving on the river bed before I went into the water but that is something ill remember is not go straight into water for that reason my mechanic friend also said the master cylinder so I think it will pay to get it in for a look over and a full service as I found today I had a broken cv joint :(

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 am

Let us know how you get on, bit of a strange one that its fine sometimes then to the floor on others.
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Team Tonka
Hard Yaka

Postby Team Tonka » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Check the wheel bearings. Loose bearings let the disc wobble and push the caliper back.
May the force be with you.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm

:?: :oops:
Last edited by mudlva on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:02 pm

I've found it more runs the disc on the edges of the pads as the disc is at an angle. Brakes are average and it chews the discs up but never really noticed a huge change in pedal travel? Just tweaked the terrano bearings up today as they were getting a bit loose. And discovered huge play in the drivers side of the bush truck when changing wheels on the weekend, at least I'm hoping its the wheel bearings, don't fancy doing a kingpin
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

crazykiwi
Winch master

Postby crazykiwi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but it hasn't done it since I pulled out the broke cv wondering if that was hitting a brake Line while it was flopping around when I was driving it or something either way gonna give the truck a good looking over this weekend and see if I can find any leaks or anything

Return to “4wd Safety”