Winch Rope Advice

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Winch Rope Advice

Postby Sheepy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Evening All

I recently purchased a second hand winch, and upon inspection the drum has a bit of surface rust, not a problem, I will just run the rope out and rust kill/POR15 it. Well, as I ran the rope out the last turn was stuck to the drum, the rust is pretty flaky and the rope was literally stuck in place. I have since unwound it, and there is a lot of rust coloring on the rope, and some flakes which will peel off, my question is should I replace the rope? And where is the best place to get around 30 meters of 8 mm in auckland if needed?

The other questions I have is the Rope appears to be quite hard, almost like it has wax in it, and its square in places where it was tightly wound on to the drum, is this an issue, how do I tell whats good and not with synthetic rope?

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Re: Winch Rope Advice

Postby Pico42 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Shake the rust off, give the rope a wash in some warm soapy water, rinse, dry and see how it looks then.

The shape should return, but you want to check for any cuts and other damage beyond a bit of fuzz.

If it is only the wraps in the drum that are a problem, cut that bit off.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Imho...
Wash rope treat rust pit it back on and run it.
Being struck to drum just means its not seen use.
The rope does not move on the drum so it will not of cut through being it was the bottom layer.
To expencive to just go cutting hunks off due to a bit of crap in it.
Fyi i wash my rope in a concrete mixer with hose running into drum to flush the mud out works well.
Or washing machine when the missus is out..

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 pm

Awesome advice. Thanks I will clean it tomorrow. I need to look into how the rope is attached to the drum.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Well put the rope through the wash, no real difference. I cleaned the drum with a wire wheel, and used Rust kill on it, and had to drill out the grub screw and retap it too m6x1. Ill get a new grub on monday, I guess the rope will be fine for now, but the rusty bits are still embedded into the rope, so I either put a big length of heatshrink over the rusty bit it, and forget it, cut it off, or just chuck it on. I only have about 27 meters, so I don't want to cut it off to be honest. What do you lot think?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:05 pm

as above that's all pretty normal stuff for a winch rope, you can leave the rust in the rope its not really going to hurt it and as far as aesthetics go its at the bottom layer on the drum so nobody will see it :D you could throw the rope in mums washing machine on a gentle cycle (take the hook off first :D ) but the rust may not be too good for the washing machine seals, they come out a bit fluffy after a run through the washing machine but it doesn't affect the rope in any way :D

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 pm

from what I can see yo are talking about a steel rope, so putting it in a washing machine would be not a grand idea if you want to stay onside with the missus.. :lol: If it is a steel wire rope then clean it off and then re oil it.. it will be ok.. BUT if you are talking about synthetic rope.. just rinse with clean water, do not put it into the washing machine as all you'll do is fk ya rope.. as it has a additive in the fibres that over time will get washed out leaving the fibre exposed to the elements then break a lot.... just my 2 cents.. :wink:

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:50 am

Big wrote:from what I can see yo are talking about a steel rope, so putting it in a washing machine would be not a grand idea if you want to stay onside with the missus.. :lol: If it is a steel wire rope then clean it off and then re oil it.. it will be ok.. BUT if you are talking about synthetic rope.. just rinse with clean water, do not put it into the washing machine as all you'll do is fk ya rope.. as it has a additive in the fibres that over time will get washed out leaving the fibre exposed to the elements then break a lot.... just my 2 cents.. :wink:

Listening with open ears here.
Ok if you are correct then that might explane why my ropes dont last.
BUT
How do you clean your rope then? And can i purchase any cemical to replace the product that i have washed out?

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:41 am

Its synthetic rope. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will get new rope in a few months, in the meantime I will use the current rope and learn how to use my winch at every opportunity, I don't put myself in situations where I am the only truck, so a winch isn't essential. My main concern is the rust in the rope causing the drum to rust further.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:05 am

Sheepy wrote:Hey all

I recently played in the salt water and thought I had best have a look under the old girl for rust, and unsurprisingly, there wqas some liught surfacerust on the diff, and suspension components and other things that had paint chips etc. So I water blasted everything, and sprayed CRC Proseal under the wheel arches, and rust killed the surface rust on the chassis, and hit it with Zinc Black paint and a coating of Lanocoat. Lastly I ran the hose in the chassis rails till the water ran clear (was pretty brown).

My question is what can I do to the chassis to protect it, specifically inside the rails, and what else could I do to help protect the body. Is the salt away type products worth purchasing?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43495

Staying out of salt water is your best defence against rust just being on a beach is evil enough let alone going into the salt water you only do that if its a life and death situation :D
Last edited by derk on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:05 am

mudlva wrote:
Big wrote:from what I can see yo are talking about a steel rope, so putting it in a washing machine would be not a grand idea if you want to stay onside with the missus.. :lol: If it is a steel wire rope then clean it off and then re oil it.. it will be ok.. BUT if you are talking about synthetic rope.. just rinse with clean water, do not put it into the washing machine as all you'll do is fk ya rope.. as it has a additive in the fibres that over time will get washed out leaving the fibre exposed to the elements then break a lot.... just my 2 cents.. :wink:

Ok if you are correct then that might explain why my ropes don't last.
BUT
How do you clean your rope then? And can i purchase any chemical to replace the product that i have washed out?

yea you can buy a product that you can essentially paint onto ya rope.. What is on there is a urethane coating (Amsteel uses a urethane product too but as you can imagine their recipe is secret. :lol: ) and I got the guys to send me a sample ages ago. BUT as I was naïve with fibre ropes I continued to wash mine in the washing machine which basically fked it.. Was very evident at the CHCH winch comp.. If your rope looks like it is discolouring( going white) then the coating is washed out and the grit will just cut the fibres very easy under heavy load.. I had a very in-depth conversation with Tony ( Ultra ropes also the Amsteel blue agent for NZ)about this the what he said was what I was doing..
I will be getting some for my new rope shortly but its not cheap for a little bottle.. Here is the link

http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/rope.htm

Have a read and research it for the right product.. but it does work as I had 2 ropes and one fk'd out a lot sooner then the one with the coating.. :wink:

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 am

derk wrote:
Sheepy wrote:Hey all

I recently played in the salt water and thought I had best have a look under the old girl for rust, and unsurprisingly, there wqas some liught surfacerust on the diff, and suspension components and other things that had paint chips etc. So I water blasted everything, and sprayed CRC Proseal under the wheel arches, and rust killed the surface rust on the chassis, and hit it with Zinc Black paint and a coating of Lanocoat. Lastly I ran the hose in the chassis rails till the water ran clear (was pretty brown).

My question is what can I do to the chassis to protect it, specifically inside the rails, and what else could I do to help protect the body. Is the salt away type products worth purchasing?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43495

Staying out of salt water is your best defense against rust just being on a beach is evil enough let alone going into the salt water you only do that if its a life and death situation :D

? That was a while ago, and I didn't have a winch then, this winch was purchased second hand. I avoid the salt water if possible, and since then I have washed, and under sealed the entire under body, and sprayed fish oil through out the rails.

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:38 am

Big wrote:
mudlva wrote:

Ok if you are correct then that might explain why my ropes don't last.
BUT
How do you clean your rope then? And can i purchase any chemical to replace the product that i have washed out?

yea you can buy a product that you can essentially paint onto ya rope.. What is on there is a urethane coating (Amsteel uses a urethane product too but as you can imagine their recipe is secret. :lol: ) and I got the guys to send me a sample ages ago. BUT as I was naïve with fibre ropes I continued to wash mine in the washing machine which basically fked it.. Was very evident at the CHCH winch comp.. If your rope looks like it is discolouring( going white) then the coating is washed out and the grit will just cut the fibres very easy under heavy load.. I had a very in-depth conversation with Tony ( Ultra ropes also the Amsteel blue agent for NZ)about this the what he said was what I was doing..
I will be getting some for my new rope shortly but its not cheap for a little bottle.. Here is the link

http://www.vanaheim.co.nz/rope.htm

Have a read and research it for the right product.. but it does work as I had 2 ropes and one fk'd out a lot sooner then the one with the coating.. :wink:

Awesome, my rope is mostly white now. I will look into this for the new rope, is Amsteel the rope of choice or Dynema? I don't know a lot about rope if it isn't obvious, I've been told to avoid the mudstuck stuff. The winch is a Superwinch 9000lbs and the recommendation from a couple of yank sites is 30 meters of 8mm.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 am

keep away from china made stuff ( basically everything on Tardeme).. its about 1/2 the strength but there is a cost as the good stuff is $$$ ie I got 11mm for Dunuz winch comp and was $750 for 50m so you pay for what ya get.. but look after it and it'll do the job for a while.. considering its the stuff that can either kill you or save you I wouldn't go with anything else but the good stuff now.. lesson learnt for me.. :wink:

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:15 am

Is the "rust in the rope" just rust coloured stains? If so, don't worry about it and chuck it on. Post a photo if you are still concerned.

It won't cause further rust either. Wet winch rope will. I wash my rope (& the extensions if I have used them) in a few buckets of warm soapy water after each outing and then let it dry before spooling it back on.

8mm? What vehicle are you fitting it to? We have 8mm for our Suzuki....

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:11 am

Nah actual rust flakes stuck to the rope, on the first 2 meters or so that directly touches the drum.
\

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:12 am

Looks like the rope co us local to me.
I will contact them this week and see if i can suss out some type of deal.
Plenty of use here run sinc rope

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:15 am

Sheepy wrote:Nah actual rust flakes stuck to the rope, on the first 2 meters or so that directly touches the drum.
\

Chip off what you can and put it back on.
The section of rope never sees any real work.
You need a minimum of 5 or 7 wraps to stop rope form turning on drum so it should never be under any real load

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:31 pm

mudlva wrote:Looks like the rope co us local to me.
I will contact them this week and see if i can suss out some type of deal.
Plenty of use here run sinc rope

bewty.. im going to contact them also.. :)

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Pico42 wrote:
8mm? What vehicle are you fitting it to? We have 8mm for our Suzuki....

Toyota Surf. What would you recommend?

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:40 am

One you've painted the drum you might want to rough it up, after painting mine on a long winch run, the rope came off because there wasn't enough friction between it and the drum, this was in the chasm on the west coast so only solution was to chip the paint with my axe :- (
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Sheepy
Hard Yaka

Postby Sheepy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Cheers for the tip, I have left it as rust converter, so its pretty rough, I was tempted to POR15, it, but I'll leave it, and see how it looks in a couple of months.

Return to “4wd Safety”