Recovery point safe or deadly

Unstuck1
Driver/Navigator

Recovery point safe or deadly

Postby Unstuck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:59 pm

I have my front recovery point all bolted on to the front chassis rail but the rear one isn't so simple I have a tow bar and I am waiting to know if using a large d shackle throw the tow ball hole is a safe enough recovery point. The d shackle is 27mm or so

tycho
Hard Yaka

Re: Recovery point safe or deadly

Postby tycho » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Yup assuming the tow bar is appropriately attached what you have described is pretty standard

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:14 pm

That should be sweet mate, rule of thumb is you don't want to use less than a 4.75T bow shackle so if your meaning the shackle pin is 27mm that would be more than 4.75T, the whole setup is only as strong as your drawbar and tounge so have a good look at the engineering of the towbar before you go pulling tractors out with it, plenty of towbars seem to fail towing trailers so its worth having a good look at the condition and engineering of how its been built/mounted :D

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Here's the Russian version if you've been following the recent posts on this forum :D

Это должно быть сладким мате, эмпирическое правило вы не хотите , чтобы использовать меньше 4.75T носовой дужкой , так что если ваш смысл дужку штырь 27mm это будет больше, чем 4.75T , вся установка только так сильны, как ваш дышло и Tounge поэтому имеют хороший взгляд на инженерное буксирного устройства , прежде чем идти потянув тракторы с ней , много фаркопов , похоже, не буксировки прицепов поэтому его стоит иметь хороший взгляд на состояние и техники , как ее было построено / монтажа

Eto dolzhno byt' sladkim mate, empiricheskoye pravilo vy ne khotite , chtoby ispol'zovat' men'she 4.75T nosovoy duzhkoy , tak chto yesli vash smysl duzhku shtyr' 27mm eto budet bol'she, chem 4.75T , vsya ustanovka tol'ko tak sil'ny, kak vash dyshlo i Tounge poetomu imeyut khoroshiy vzglyad na inzhenernoye buksirnogo ustroystva , prezhde chem idti potyanuv traktory s ney , mnogo farkopov , pokhozhe, ne buksirovki pritsepov poetomu yego stoit imet' khoroshiy vzglyad na sostoyaniye i tekhniki , kak yeye

Unstuck1
Driver/Navigator

Postby Unstuck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Seems solid and is bolted with two bolts each side attached to the chassis rails. Is there any point in have 2 recovery hooks on the front?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:39 pm

If using an equaliser strap, then it spreads the full load across both sides of the chassis, so lessens the risk of potentially twisting things
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Unstuck1
Driver/Navigator

Postby Unstuck1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Well I've got two hooks so may as well slap another one on the front I guess

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:00 am

as above with 2 hooks on either end you can use a bridle strap across both hooks to equalise and halve the load for those big pulls when your sucked down in deep shit up to the top of the roof and additional to that when you've got the truck stuck on a pissy angle the side you pull off can be the difference of pulling the front of the truck down to stop it tipping over or if your pulling off the wrong side you can pull the truck over onto its side and make the subsequent recovery a bit more interesting :D

google here for bridal strap
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=4x4+b ... 66&bih=586

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

tycho wrote:Yup assuming the tow bar is appropriately attached what you have described is pretty standard

I'm using my towbar as well, but it was pointed out that as my mounting bolts are about 200 mm higher mounted on the chassis, therefore any pull isin't directly line, its going to be more of an arc - does this matter?

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm

diver9888 wrote:I'm using my towbar as well, but it was pointed out that as my mounting bolts are about 200 mm higher mounted on the chassis, therefore any pull isin't directly line, its going to be more of an arc - does this matter?

depends what your pulling and how.

if its just an easy slippery track and an easy pull then that's no different to most tows on safari type events.

if your over the diffs in deep soft mud and you think someone can snatch you out with a decent pull think again. the other vehicle will probably end up with a tow bar implanted in the rear.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

diver9888
Driver/Navigator

Postby diver9888 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:32 pm

mudsurfv6 wrote:
diver9888 wrote:I'm using my towbar as well, but it was pointed out that as my mounting bolts are about 200 mm higher mounted on the chassis, therefore any pull isin't directly line, its going to be more of an arc - does this matter?

depends what your pulling and how.

if its just an easy slippery track and an easy pull then that's no different to most tows on safari type events.

if your over the diffs in deep soft mud and you think someone can snatch you out with a decent pull think again. the other vehicle will probably end up with a tow bar implanted in the rear.

Thanks for that MudSurf. I mainly dive/fish/camp in coastal areas so its mainly simple sand pulls - not hard yakka mud holes

Return to “4wd Safety”