Side Airbags

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Side Airbags

Postby NJV6 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Can anyone comment on cargo barriers and how they may affect side airbags - specifically curtain airbags in the 2nd row "C' pillar. The factory spec barrier sits well back from the 2nd row seats meaning you loose quite a bit of space, i believe its because of the airbags. Can I put one up close? I don't want to cut a hole in the side of one up close as that defeats the purpose.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Re: Side Airbags

Postby mudsurfv6 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 pm

our captiva has curtain airbags back to the D pillar. the barrier is a steel mesh one. has big gaps, 250-300mm on side of barrier where the air bags would come out into. barrier does fit up against 2nd row seats though.

maybe a barrier with area for airbags from another breed of vehicle might fit closer to the seat.

don't know if a barrier close to the airbag area like your asking would fail a wof? might pay to ask your wof guy.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

churchill
Hard Yaka

Postby churchill » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:44 pm

I'd be careful as there's a lot of energy tied up in an air bag. You wouldn't want it to veer off in a strange direction due seat cover/cargo barrier or pickup something on the way through and deliver it to someones face. Generally the owners manual say do not cover the air bag or put things near it for this reason.

I calculated the energy stored in one air bag after watching a youtube video of a guy on a chair getting fired up in the air and it came to about 2000J. (the height was a guess but it'll be in the ball park). This is about equivalent to a .308 round, or enough to kill you if directed correctly...

There might be a diagram showing how close something can be placed in the owners manual or if not try calling Mitsubishi.

I used to have a Gen3 Pajero which is the same floorplan as yours, must admit that the suspension on those handles corners better than a lot of cars I've driven...

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:35 pm

I have had a look at the Mitsi ones and they are the ones that are a full barrier but dont straighten up near the roof so take up a heap of cargo space. INstead of the cutout for the curtain airbag they place them behind them.

Pighorn
Driver/Navigator

Postby Pighorn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:48 am

Ditch the airbag. There over rated

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:22 am

Could you use a net instead of a solid barrier? If done well it would prevent groceries in the back off the head and still be able to deform to allow side airbag deployment.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Pighorn wrote:Ditch the airbag. There over rated

eh? You know better huh?

ChurchurDan wrote:Could you use a net instead of a solid barrier? If done well it would prevent groceries in the back off the head and still be able to deform to allow side airbag deployment.

I did think of that too, but I want something to withstand a chainsaw, shackels etc if I need it too. I might just bite the bullet and get the one with the big cutout and make some nets for the sides.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 am

When the curtain bags deploy they come down between the passengers head and the side window, so if you have cutouts that start at the top edge of the seat back and the outside edge of the headrest there should be no impairment to the bag deploying or anything to alter its course. If you put a net in this area have it on rails top and bottom so that it can be pushed towards the center of the vehicle by the bag if deployed. The top rail would need to be above the airbag so you probably need to have a look to see how high it is mounted, they are normally below the grab handles but not always.

Return to “4wd Safety”