tyre shop rant

kiwinoz
Hard Yaka

tyre shop rant

Postby kiwinoz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Well, it's time to get a new set of tyres. This post is not for advice or to discuss the pros and cons of Cooper vs Wrangler etc.
I'm often looking thru various websites and take note of peoples comments and experiences with various tyres.
So when it's time to buy some, I usually have a fairly good idea what i want. But I like to call in at the various shops for a look at the real thing.

Im getting sick of being told what tyres I should have, usually based on what the seller has in stock, or thinks I should have even after I explain i have 2 cars, a town car, and i want off road tyres for my 4x4, i dont need a compromise.

Not to mention an unwanted lecture about tyre size and incorrect offset (30x9.5s and -9 offset, not that extreme I think)

Just wondering if other people get this?

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: tyre shop rant

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 am

kiwinoz wrote:Well, it's time to get a new set of tyres. This post is not for advice or to discuss the pros and cons of Cooper vs Wrangler etc.
I'm often looking thru various websites and take note of peoples comments and experiences with various tyres.
So when it's time to buy some, I usually have a fairly good idea what i want. But I like to call in at the various shops for a look at the real thing.

Im getting sick of being told what tyres I should have, usually based on what the seller has in stock, or thinks I should have even after I explain i have 2 cars, a town car, and i want off road tyres for my 4x4, i dont need a compromise.

Not to mention an unwanted lecture about tyre size and incorrect offset (30x9.5s and -9 offset, not that extreme I think)

Just wondering if other people get this?

nope. but in saying that, that's why they are there isn't it...to sell tires.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 am

simple sales rules really

they are making sure you are informed and know what may or may not suit you or your vehicle and then leave it up to you to make an informed decision based on what you know

you would be the first to complain if a tyre shop sold you big tyres on new rims with massive offset and they rubbed like a bastard and they never told you this could happen

no different to buying from other shops
how would you feel if you bought a camera from a shop and they told you nothing about it and you got home to find it didnt do half the stuff you thought it would :roll:
you would be fairly pissed they didn't inform you, wouldn't you :wink:

just take the advice they give you, store it in your head, get more advice and mix it all up till you come up with something you want :idea:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 am

skid wrote:simple sales rules really

they are making sure you are informed and know what may or may not suit you or your vehicle and then leave it up to you to make an informed decision based on what you know

you would be the first to complain if a tyre shop sold you big tyres on new rims with massive offset and they rubbed like a bastard and they never told you this could happen

no different to buying from other shops
how would you feel if you bought a camera from a shop and they told you nothing about it and you got home to find it didnt do half the stuff you thought it would :roll:
you would be fairly pissed they didn't inform you, wouldn't you :wink:

just take the advice they give you, store it in your head, get more advice and mix it all up till you come up with something you want :idea:

Well said Skid, and there are now a whole lot of things that tyre companies can no longer do according to law. So yeah they cant afford top break the law and yes they should inform you

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:01 am

Id avoid the new cooper tyres ..they have changed the tread pattern slightly & now they arent anywhere as good as the older style.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Postby DEATH_INC » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm in a tyre shop.
I'll always listen to what people tell me, give them a price on what they ask for, and offer advice on the legality of it, and suggest anything I feel is a worthwhile alternative. It's what we do. :wink:
I have worked for another big tyre company in the past, and their policy is basically it has to be stock, or an approved alternative. They won't stray near the line, so to speak, officially at least. :lol:
Also...some people here in jafaland think offroad means a trip across the lawn... you gotta go to someone who knows what is involved with what you want to do.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 pm

the local tyre shop was all for putting 33's on my terrano lol, even sold me the -19 rims for 50 bucks each, and put them all on the rims for another $50.

it all depends on what sorta people you come across.

kiwinoz
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwinoz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Hmmm... ok.
Well, I'd come buy tyres from you Mr Death.

'cause if I explain my wagon goes %90 off road and i want duratrac/BFG KM2/D673 and I get told they sell a lot of SilentArmour/D694/AT3 i shake my head, think "did he even listen" then walk off saying never mind.

Anyway, I've added some pics, hope they work, got to love the NT, and want to see as much of it as I can while Im here.

P6090366.JPG
Even during the 'dry' there's some water
Attachments
P6090356.JPG
4Lo for several hrs
P6090354.JPG
Track in Gregory Nat Park, NT.
P6090352.JPG
a good track

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 pm

kiwinoz wrote:Hmmm... ok.

'cause if I explain my wagon goes %90 off road and i want duratrac/BFG KM2/D673

sounds like you know what you want dude

so just find someone that sells them and then buy them off them , easy as :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Return to “Tyres”