Impressions of Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Impressions of Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

Postby Marco Polo » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi all, I just got new shoes for the Rugger (ouch) 31x10.5R15.
I did a lot of research before committing such a large amount of cash for something I will have to live with for the next 50,000+km
I briefly considered trying Goodride SL366 from Tyreshoponline.co.nz who had a mean special going $173 a corner. The tread looked identical to my GT Savero MT except there is a lot of siping on the Goodrides. How could I go wrong at that price? BUT I can't find any objective reviews of them yet so I don't want to be a Guinea Pig..

I was almost 100% for KL71's at $247 a corner but I chickened out since they are directional and I want to be able to rotate them properly without having to take them off the rims.

My back up plan was the Hankooks and I could not find a bad review about them. They also saw off some stiff competition from some big names in a couple of tyre tests. They also received lots of praise for their tar seal behaviour.

First impressions? They look MASSIVE compared to worn out tyres! Clearance in the front is tight but OK. I can't test them at full suspension compression without taking the wagon off road and finding some suitable terrain.
Pulling out of the tyre place.. :o They're SO QUIET!

I'll come back to this from time to time to report how they go offroad and wear etc. There's a boggy drain in my paddock that I have never been able to get through and I drove through it today with no wheelspin.

Oh and $1000 fitted and balanced for 4. Most balanced up with 40-45g. One has a 90g weight on the inside. Not bad.
How hard can it be?

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Re: Impressions of Hankook Dynapro MT RT03

Postby catalystracing » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks for this, very timely. I have the Hankooks now but are getting worn. I have been looking at what next or go with the same. :?: This kinda research helps, :D

Cheers

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:56 am

catalystracing wrote:Thanks for this, very timely. I have the Hankooks now but are getting worn. I have been looking at what next or go with the same. :?: This kinda research helps, :D

Cheers

How many k's did you get out of them?
How hard can it be?

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
catalystracing wrote:Thanks for this, very timely. I have the Hankooks now but are getting worn. I have been looking at what next or go with the same. :?: This kinda research helps, :D

Cheers

How many k's did you get out of them?

did 60tho km on mine when I sold ute and still had 8mm of tread

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:22 pm

I've got about 35-40k on mine. swb pajero. alignment isn't ideal camberwise in front (is in perfect spec which is over half a degree of POSITIVE camber which isn't ideal for the outside shoulders the way I drive. I could shim it to sort that but never got round to it... I keep an eye on pressures and rotate them reasonably frequently. might flip them on the rims at some stage.
They're rowdy if you run them too soft, but I might be soft and comparing them too closely to road tyres.
Hang on mint in the wet, and dry, on the road. good as off road.
great tyres, will definitely trade again.

buried
Bush Crasher

Postby buried » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

Just fitted a brand new set of 31x10.5/15. Decision was price ($750 for 4).

Balanced ok have done probably 300-400km over the weekend and they're compairable noise wise to the Firestone Destination A/T that i usually use for road driving. So, so quiet. Also, i think i've just managed to scrub the dimples off them and i've pushed them on the tarmac a bit. Had a jam out at the beach (38psi in em) and they dug and pulled me up some soft dunes pretty damn well. Done a bit of driving around paddocks/grassy hills and they stick well (as in no need for 4wd where the all terrains would just sit and spin). Havn't found mud yet.

Truck's an 89 bighorn, roughly 1980kg.

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:10 pm

buried wrote:Just fitted a brand new set of 31x10.5/15. Decision was price ($750 for 4.

How on earth did you get them that cheap?

Good feedback so far. I have just trimmed the front bumper ends as the tyres were touching at half lock with some suspension compression. I am still wearing them in, with such deep tread blocks the rugger does squirm a little more in corners but grip is impressive.
How hard can it be?

buried
Bush Crasher

Postby buried » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:43 am

Marco Polo wrote:
buried wrote:Just fitted a brand new set of 31x10.5/15. Decision was price ($750 for 4.

How on earth did you get them that cheap?

Good feedback so far. I have just trimmed the front bumper ends as the tyres were touching at half lock with some suspension compression. I am still wearing them in, with such deep tread blocks the rugger does squirm a little more in corners but grip is impressive.

Lucky break, guy got them through his work and ended up selling his truck before even fitting em. Just happend to be trawling trademe at the right time, still had stickers on em :)

bobthepainter
Driver/Navigator

Postby bobthepainter » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:59 pm

This is encouraging, I need new tyres for my discovery, as its my daily driver I've been contemplating running muds all the time I'm doing 500k's a week, can't afford two sets of wheels and tyres and the hassle of changing wheels to go off road doesn't appeal. Are any of you running these tyres all the time?

buried
Bush Crasher

Postby buried » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 am

Due to lack of motivation and a bit of procrastination, i've been running them for almost two weeks? :) Reports say 40-50k out of a set if pressures are right and you rotate them.

I guess alot of that comes down to how hard you drive them?

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

bobthepainter wrote:This is encouraging, I need new tyres for my discovery, as its my daily driver I've been contemplating running muds all the time I'm doing 500k's a week, can't afford two sets of wheels and tyres and the hassle of changing wheels to go off road doesn't appeal. Are any of you running these tyres all the time?

I run up to 800kms a week on them (average 450-600kms). They drive well on the road.
They were bought on a price ($1350 from memory for 285/16/75), cheap as.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:00 pm

I run them daily on the road. I should have got a/t's but I sometimes cant make it to the back paddock on our block when it's wet. But these Hankooks are so good on tar it made sense to try them and they are much better than at's in mud.
How hard can it be?

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:46 pm

rokhound wrote:
bobthepainter wrote:This is encouraging, I need new tyres for my discovery, as its my daily driver I've been contemplating running muds all the time I'm doing 500k's a week, can't afford two sets of wheels and tyres and the hassle of changing wheels to go off road doesn't appeal. Are any of you running these tyres all the time?

I run up to 800kms a week on them (average 450-600kms). They drive well on the road.

Hi, what sort wagon are you running them on and what sort of length of life do you reckon you are getting

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Suza wrote:
rokhound wrote:

Hi, what sort wagon are you running them on and what sort of length of life do you reckon you are getting

90 series playdoh. Looking like they will break 60k easily at the moment. Will have to wait and see if I keep the truck that long.........
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:56 pm

[
Hi, what sort wagon are you running them on and what sort of length of life do you reckon you are getting[/quote]

90 series playdoh. Looking like they will break 60k easily at the moment. Will have to wait and see if I keep the truck that long.........[/quote]

Thanks for that they are my list as a possible for the LWB Y60 Safari and am just curious about how they will go an a heavy 4x4

buried
Bush Crasher

Postby buried » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:19 am

Gave them a good thrashing around woodhill on the weekend, bag out quite nicly (24psi front, 20 rear) only places I got stuck was due to bellyin

haz77
Driver/Navigator

Postby haz77 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Im weighing up Hankook, Goodyear Wranglers or GT radial AT's for my 06 Paj,

all about the same price, any thoughts?, was told ringing round that GY's dont wear well?

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:28 am

haz77 wrote:Im weighing up Hankook, Goodyear Wranglers or GT radial AT's for my 06 Paj,

all about the same price, any thoughts?, was told ringing round that GY's dont wear well?

Im looking at tyres as well, had Wranglers on a Surf, didn't last as long as I would have thought, about 45k & they were stuffed.

Brenick
Winch master

Postby Brenick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 am

I have a set of 30x9.5 Dynapro MTs on my swb Mistral. Done about 3k on them so far and they seem good. Haven't tackled any real mud yet though.
A friend has got over 60k from his set on a Navara double cab and the place that fitted mine said I would get at least that.
Price is bloody good too. $200 each fitted and balanced.

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Has anyone run these on a LWB Safari?

Matt2012
Bush Crasher

Postby Matt2012 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

The new Maxxis 764's are awesome, more $$$$$$ but as everything in life you get what you pay for.

mudtroll
Hard Yaka

Postby mudtroll » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm

Matt2012 wrote:The new Maxxis 764's are awesome, more $$$$$$ but as everything in life you get what you pay for.

Top of the list for me so far. What did you pay for them?

3VILC
Hard Yaka

Postby 3VILC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:25 am

I had the rt03s in a 31x10.5 on my hilux, came on it when I brought it not sure how old they were then, I did about 15thou on them and they are still mint. Great on road, better than my nangkang 889s (generic tread pattern same as old khumo venture, buckshots, etc) in the mud. Liked them so much I kept them I kept them for my Suzuki, so will see how they go on a much lighter truck
-------------------------------------------------
Newly brought currently bog standard Discovery V8i with a drinking problem :lol:

Marco Polo
Hard Yaka

Postby Marco Polo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 am

3 months down the track and still very happy. Still look like I put them on yesterday
How hard can it be?

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 am

I was talking to one of the tractor mechanics from Cochranes about these as they use them on all the utes. The best run so far is a salesman in a 4x4 bt50 he got 100,000 out of a set. They are averaging around 60-70 on the service utes.

mark.james0502
Driver/Navigator

Postby mark.james0502 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:42 pm

Did you manage to fit 285 75 16 on a 90 series without lift?

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 am

ChurchurDan wrote:I was talking to one of the tractor mechanics from Cochranes about these as they use them on all the utes. The best run so far is a salesman in a 4x4 bt50 he got 100,000 out of a set. They are averaging around 60-70 on the service utes.

Ive talked to those boys to, impressive considering the services utes have a good 1-2t on the back

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:01 pm

So this afternoon I put a set of the RT03's on to the Safari, first impression is that I cant believe how quite they are, I cant here any tyre noise

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:14 am

Have been running the RT03's for just about 3 months now (7,500km). On the road they are doing really well and would easily be the best mud tyre I have driven on the road, they are quite, grip really well and have a good road contact feel to them. Off road I am not so impressed by them they bag well and offer good traction on rock and in river beds but as a mud tyre in mud and in wet paddocks they aren't performing any where near as well as I had hoped for, once the mud is packed into them they are slow to clear and loss their bite in a very short distance. The other worrying behaviour I have noticed with them is that on a slippery side slope they don't have as much side holding as I would like or am used to having.
Wear wise I can't complain they have rounded the edges of a little bit as you would expect but are not showing any significant wear at this stage although in saying that when I did the tyre rotation at 5,000km I did notice that the rear tyres had an interesting wear pattern, it looks like the actual tread block has been flexing when the torque comes on and has worn the fronts of the blocks more than the back.
It will be interesting to see how they continue on and how they do if the snow comes down
Overall I am starting to align my them in my mind to being more of an AT tyre

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:28 am

^^ Yeah they are not really a full MT, more in the middle of AT/MT. They worked ok on my Samurai but they really needed a bit of wheelspeed to clear the tread which involved lots of clutch dumping in 2nd, had to replace clutch before too long... :lol: Having said that if I could could get it to redline in 2nd and hold it there, they worked pretty well and had no problems climbing hills, though had a few moments where it ran out of puff halfway up, go for 1st but just couldn't clear the treads so sliiiiiidddddeee back down again bit scary when there's trees behind ya! :shock: :mrgreen:

Return to “Tyres”