Simex/Silverstones in Snow?

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Simex/Silverstones in Snow?

Postby Mehrts » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:53 am

Righto,

There's a club snow trip coming up in a couple of weeks time and I'm keen to hear what people have to say about how Simex/Silverstone style tyres perform in snowy conditions. I've searched around extensively and can't find much info on this.

Obviously, there are many variables such as freshness/depth etc of the snow.

I've got a set of newish 35"x11.5 Silverstone MT117 Extremes with Staun internal beadlocks and half worn set of 33"x12.5 Kevlar Wrangler MT/R.
I don't have chains.

I was thinking about running the Silverstones as they give greater ground clearance, and I can safely run them at lower pressures to try and float on top of the snow, however their tread design obviously tends to dig into the soft stuff (as they are designed to do).

I've run the Wranglers in snow before with no issues, but I've never seen or tried how the Silverstones perform.

Thoughts?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Big
Hard Yaka

Re: Simex/Silverstones in Snow?

Postby Big » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:09 pm

go MT's if you can and use chains if you can borrow a set.. if it gets too icy or the snow packs down hard nothing will help you but chains. Driving on virgin snow is really great and there is reasonable traction but once a few have driven on it, it gets as slippery as a bald badger and chains is where they are needed.. good luck

snotgoblin
Hard Yaka

Postby snotgoblin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Thinking on this Mehrts.. Simexes and Silverstones both come from Malaysia. Now I don't think they get a great deal of snow in them there parts!

Are your 117s radial or cross ply? I have not seen many 117s really bag out the way radial MTs will.. Ergo floatation effect.

The snow last year was quite hard and icy as it was old. My swampers worked ok, apart from a couple of icy patches..

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm 98% sure they are cross ply, but on the subject of bagging out at lower pressures, the radial MT/Rs are quite stiff in the sidewall due to all the Kevlar reinforcing and whatnot, which means they don't bag out as much either...

One positive for a taller tyre, is that at lower pressures, the footprint will get longer. With as much tread depth that I've got now, I reckon I could use some screws in the tread blocks as ice sprigs :lol:

Might just flip a coin on the day and decide where to go from there.

I think you might be right with the Malaysians and snow!
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

pruggerdore
Hard Yaka

Postby pruggerdore » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:36 pm

the fact that there is probably a set on the truck already is what would decide it for me lol

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Haha good point.

Maybe I should run 2 of each on opposing corners of the Hilux to take advantage of each designs benefits.

Transmission windup is only theoretical isn't it? :mrgreen:
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Go the silverstones if you dont have chains not that bad done a snow trip or 2 on them and its good fun :mrgreen: dont know if you will have any snow up there by then anyway :lol: :lol:

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Run with whatever is on the truck. Both Silverstones & radial MT's work well in snow. Neither are any good on ice - chains needed. Or use the tyres which you have chains to fit.... Not sure how effective chains will be on Silverstones - they'll probably disappear into the voids - but I have a set for 35's you can borrow that weekend if you want to try...

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Cheers for the offer Trev, but I don't have much room in the front guards for running chains with the 35" silverstones, otherwise I could give them a crack.

I remember the snow trip we did back in 2011, and Craig was running his 35" equivalent AT tyres with chains, so they must have been on rims with an offset that gave better clearances when turning, or those tyres were smaller in diameter than my Silverstones. He was surprised when I had to do some room improvement modifications to get full flex without ridiculous scrubbing.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

chopdpatrol
Bush Crasher

Postby chopdpatrol » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm

work good, with wheel spin they stilled wanted to grip

imsohi
Hard Yaka

Postby imsohi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:36 pm

Will be good to have them on the Reefton trip next month aswel!!!!!

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:06 am

Always running the big boys rubber on those tracks Leigh!
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

Return to “Tyres”