Opinions on Lanvigator Catchfors or Goodride tyres

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Opinions on Lanvigator Catchfors or Goodride tyres

Postby T1M0 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:55 am

Wanting to get some new shoes on the challenger as im still a newbie to 4wdn im not to clued up on tyre brands and im also on a tight budget so i was looking at some cheapy tyres to tied me over till i can afford something better.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Lanvigator Catchfors or even Goodride tyres Im aware it will be a case of you get what you pay for.

Ive read a few of the threads on here about the Goodrides but would be interested to know how well they are holding up and how well they wear also road manner.

I'm looking at getting some ATs for now as do alot of tarmac driving as its my daily driver but id like to do Thompsons Track the Tearoha side later on when its opened up again so would ATs handle that or would it be better to just go with MTs.

Some friendly advice for a noob would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

mudbugga
Hard Yaka

Re: Opinions on Lanvigator Catchfors or Goodride tyres

Postby mudbugga » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 pm

I've got some Goodrides on my Terrano.
So far they've been really good. Not doing anything to extreme with them. Mostly farm tracks and other tracks to get me into hunting spots.
Road handling is good. Done 5000km maybe slightly more. Happy with them so far anyway.

Here's a bit more on those tyres....
http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... de&start=0

BlakeNZ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeNZ » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:48 pm

are you seriously thinking of trying to do Thompson's track on A/T tires, or are you just messing with us?

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm

haven't seen any on any comp or tuff trucks lately if that answers your question :D

I'm looking at getting some ATs for now as do alot of tarmac driving as its my daily driver

if your 90 or 95% on road you want something with reasonable road manners and wear there's no point chewing up a good set of simexes commuting back and forth to work but it would look cool :D

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:58 pm

BlakeNZ wrote:are you seriously thinking of trying to do Thompson's track on A/T tires, or are you just messing with us?

You've just answered the question. Im new to 4wdn and never been up Thompsons before so didn't know clearly i do now.

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:13 pm

derk wrote:haven't seen any on any comp or tuff trucks lately if that answers your question :D

I'm looking at getting some ATs for now as do alot of tarmac driving as its my daily driver

if your 90 or 95% on road you want something with reasonable road manners and wear there's no point chewing up a good set of simexes commuting back and forth to work but it would look cool :D

Yea i do about 75 - 80% tarmac havent done any major stuff yet as tyres are a let down truck currently has worn out dynapro ATs that were on truck when i got it (only owned truck for 4months) the only sort of offroad ive done is odd farm track and gravel driving or muddy paddock i would like to do more once summer comes and finances allow but can't afford a set of KL71s or simlar good branded tyres due to having other commitments so at the moment i just want some tyres that will enable me to get in some more seat time and have a play until i can free up more time and funds.

I do appreciate the feedback

Cheers

Tim

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:37 am

No experience with either, but a careful driver on a good set of A/Ts with the right knowledge can go lots of places, and they make lots less mess than the idiot who thinks they are invincible with their M/Ts.

I ran a set of BFG A/T's for years (yes not cheap) and would chuck a set of chains on the front when it got a bit messy.
I hardly ever go offroad now, but have a winter set and summer set of tyres. I'll still get further with A/Ts and chains on than M/Ts.
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

onebadman
Bush Crasher

Postby onebadman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:56 am

I run 31 good rides on my navara seem to go real well expecially for the price pitty they don't come out in bigger sizing

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 am

onebadman wrote:I run 31 good rides on my navara seem to go real well expecially for the price pitty they don't come out in bigger sizing

What do you run AT or MT.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka

Postby slidenyo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:45 pm

at's got a friend of ours up thompsons before the slips in a stock terrano,
they work fine with the air dropped out of them,
a good quality second hand tire might be a better option
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162143140614117/
quite often they pop up here
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

onebadman
Bush Crasher

Postby onebadman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:18 am

MTS ive dun 8-10000 k on them still over 10mm tread all four pretty good considering im jeavy footed

Mr Revhead
Hard Yaka

Postby Mr Revhead » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:07 am

I bought a couple of HiFly A/Ts for the front of my MU when I first got it.
They were the cheapest 31s I could find at the time and I wondered if I was taking a bit of a punt....

So far I've done 20k on them, long road trips and commuting to work they are fine, far more grip than I expected not really showing much wear (never measured the tread)

I've also been off road with them, gravel roads, rivers, some mud and a couple of the old gold mining roads in Otago.

I have to say I am very impressed with them, have gone places I'd never have thought I could with them. I would take a look at those and see how they measure up price wise.

Having said that, this is my first 4wd and the first tyres I have bought for it.

T1M0
Driver/Navigator

Postby T1M0 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:40 am

Mr Revhead wrote: this is my first 4wd and the first tyres I have bought for it.

Same here. Im looking at getting 245/75/16 lanvigator MTs as cheaper to get that size rather than 265s

charo249
Hard Yaka

Postby charo249 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:43 am

Put some Goodrides on my wifes Santa Fe and they were better than expected (were a road pattern as it spends most of it time on the road). If you want to drive in mud get mud tyres - All terrains may be fine on grass/gravel/rocks and have more puncture resistance than road tyres but will clog up in mud. Alternative is all terrains and a full set of chains for when you go in the mud, but even though this will give awesome traction you will still be spending a bit of money to get a good set of chains and you have the hassle of taking them on and off.

Return to “Tyres”