Safari tyre width queries

MihiT
Hard Yaka
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: RD8

Safari tyre width queries

Postby MihiT » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:30 am

Calling on the collective wisdom.
My '90 safari is sitting on 31x 10.5 r15 on alloy rims (alloys are not my preference).
Looking at my options, a set of same size bfg t/a km2 is going to set me back $1800. Not bad money really, but they dont do 32s, which I would like, could possibly even fit 33 with no chopping. And it means I have to tolerate the alloys.

I also have a set of approx 9" wide steel rims (with 235/75 r15 ish which work out to about 29"), and would like feedback on skinny tyres on a saf, or if i could fold wider tyres onto the rim without loosing shape.

All experience gratefully received.

I also put a new set of HD coils in, which gave me 2" lift from the sagged stockies! And one of the front drop cones is buggered (read: no longer attached), so advice on replacement them would be good.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -

MihiT
Hard Yaka
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: RD8

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby MihiT » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 am

I have also been quoted $1000 for four bridgestone mts (presumably the duellers but i didn't take note) fitted which is cool, but not sure they're as good or will go the distance of the bfgs.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -

User avatar
Suza
Hard Yaka
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:03 am
Location: Some where around the Lakes or on the Hill

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby Suza » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 pm

MihiT wrote: And one of the front drop cones is buggered (read: no longer attached), so advice on replacement them would be good.


One of my had come adrift so I cleaned up both surfaces applied a liberal amount of black RTV, jacked up the chaise and put a piece of plywood in the coil spring so that when I lowered it back down it applied some good direct preasure left it parked up for a few days and its still holding togeather

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2907
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby mudlva » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Suza wrote:
MihiT wrote: And one of the front drop cones is buggered (read: no longer attached), so advice on replacement them would be good.


One of my had come adrift so I cleaned up both surfaces applied a liberal amount of black RTV, jacked up the chaise and put a piece of plywood in the coil spring so that when I lowered it back down it applied some good direct preasure left it parked up for a few days and its still holding togeather


Another idea but along a similar line.
The plate is held in by 1 bolt.
Remove plate drill 2 to 3 pilot holes to suit 25mm wood screws.
Glue rubber back on and screw up nice and tight.
Held my mates stops in place for over 3 yrs before he sold it.

User avatar
lax2wlg
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: Various areas

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby lax2wlg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:17 pm

MihiT wrote:Calling on the collective wisdom.
My '90 safari is sitting on 31x 10.5 r15 on alloy rims (alloys are not my preference).
Looking at my options, a set of same size bfg t/a km2 is going to set me back $1800. Not bad money really, but they dont do 32s, which I would like, could possibly even fit 33 with no chopping. And it means I have to tolerate the alloys.


Have you consider 33x10.5 BFGoodrich KM2?
With the right backspacing they should fit with no cutting or lifting

However In terms of off road performance, I'm not sure what they are like on that particular vehicle. Its possible that they don't provide enough flotation given that it is a heavy vehicle
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

MihiT
Hard Yaka
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: RD8

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby MihiT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:22 pm

lax2wlg wrote:
MihiT wrote:Calling on the collective wisdom.
My '90 safari is sitting on 31x 10.5 r15 on alloy rims (alloys are not my preference).
Looking at my options, a set of same size bfg t/a km2 is going to set me back $1800. Not bad money really, but they dont do 32s, which I would like, could possibly even fit 33 with no chopping. And it means I have to tolerate the alloys.


Have you consider 33x10.5 BFGoodrich KM2?
With the right backspacing they should fit with no cutting or lifting

However In terms of off road performance, I'm not sure what they are like on that particular vehicle. Its possible that they don't provide enough flotation given that it is a heavy vehicle

Thanks for the input,
I'm not overly concerned about float as this isn't a serious mud bug, it seems to do fairly well as it is on 10.5s.
I also would need to talk to someone who has actually done what you say, with backspaced 33s, to see how it all went, replacing 24 wheel studs is not my idea of fun for a "maybe it will work" idea!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -

MihiT
Hard Yaka
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: RD8

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby MihiT » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm

mudlva wrote:Another idea but along a similar line.
The plate is held in by 1 bolt.
Remove plate drill 2 to 3 pilot holes to suit 25mm wood screws.
Glue rubber back on and screw up nice and tight.
Held my mates stops in place for over 3 yrs before he sold it.

That seems more likely an idea than glue and wood! I was thinking about drilling the middle hole bigger for just one bigger bolt, but I see the sense in several smaller ones.

Are these bits not available, or just not worth the effort to replace with new?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -

User avatar
mudlva
Hard Yaka
Posts: 2907
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: fixing another cv!! dam lockers (Papakura)

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby mudlva » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:39 pm

Its only the adhesive thats failed.
Have to go oe for replacement.
Bit of glue and handful of screws...sorted.

slidenyo
Hard Yaka
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Hamz remotely on topic

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby slidenyo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:16 pm

I've run 235 85 16, 275 75 16 and 315 70 17 currently. On the road and run 35's in 10.5 16 and 11.5 15 in winter (simexs), for an everyday tire the 235's were wicked I'm looking out for a similar width in 35. The 315's suit a lwb better as need a bit of weight to maintain grip
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

MihiT
Hard Yaka
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:33 pm
Location: RD8

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby MihiT » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:19 pm

slidenyo wrote:I've run 235 85 16, 275 75 16 and 315 70 17 currently. On the road and run 35's in 10.5 16 and 11.5 15 in winter (simexs), for an everyday tire the 235's were wicked I'm looking out for a similar width in 35. The 315's suit a lwb better as need a bit of weight to maintain grip

Awesome! Thanks.
This is all without modification? I'm leaning toward 33s and keeping with the rims i already own (15").
Did you have to have back spaced rims to run the 35s up front?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -

slidenyo
Hard Yaka
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:24 pm
Location: Hamz remotely on topic

Re: Safari tyre width queries

Postby slidenyo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:47 am

A few mods , 2" suspension lift, 35mm guard chop, 15 mm radius arm spacers , and 80 series bumps. The 315's I'm way outside the guards but side bars will cover them enough for wof. They still tuck without any rub at full flex
problems are only a problem if you not willing to learn how to find solutions

Return to “Tyres”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests