Help Wanted - Dr250 wont start

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Help Wanted - Dr250 wont start

Postby BlakeJ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey guys, anyone in chch good on bikes and want to do a bit of a perky? my tight student wallet doesnt want to fork out for the likes of avon cirty suzuki or hampton honda

Ive got a 1998 dr250r, twin can model.

I brought it after it dropped a valve and was rooted, thanks to the mrs' dad we rebuilt it late last year, new wiseco piston, second hand barrel and head off an 07, new bearings, conrod, cam chain, shims.

was running real mint until one day i rode it too my bosses house and when i went to leave it wouldnt start. it has what looks like good spark. turns over alright. It was slowing dripping fuel from carb over night, i checked the float level and needle and seat and it appears all good. It winds over but just wont fire, seems like fueling issue but i cant figure it out. When i had a go at it the other day the coil wire was extremly hot like burn your hand hot. wondr if that has something to do with it but its still sparking alright.

help would be appreciated, i have a trailer so can take it to someone around chch, beer, shit yarns and a bit of cash should entice someone.
cheers
Blake

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Re: Help Wanted - Dr250 wont start

Postby BlakeJ » Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm

bump

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Wed May 09, 2012 4:35 pm

righto given up on the fix on the cheap idea. does anyone in chch know of a decent priced motorcycle mechanic? or can anyone reccomend someone. i wanna stay away from avon city suzuki and hampton honda

corosafari
Hard Yaka

Postby corosafari » Mon May 14, 2012 9:21 pm

May be bait late for you Jake .
Spark ok , carb suspect but let's assume it's ok.

Just check that compression is ok when you kick it over, with recent top end work valve gear may have settled a bit. Way too much tappet clearance or to little can affect compression so check this again maybe. This was problem I had with similar bike many moons ago.
Arr just read your post again, wind over so electric start mmm, does it have decompression set up, it's not stuck on holding valves open?

BlakeJ
Hard Yaka

Postby BlakeJ » Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 am

cheers for the reply coros safari, ive had the carb apart and checked by my girlfriends dad (mechanic) as its all good. ive pulled the valve cover off and the cam lobes are in time. it is electric start yes and seems to have good compression, its got the centrifugal decompression thing on the cam and nah it wasnt stuck on last time i checked but talking about it im going to pull the valve cover off and have another check tonight.

cheers
blake

Return to “The Bike Bar”