Auckland Fishing

oneinkedgeek
Hard Yaka

Auckland Fishing

Postby oneinkedgeek » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Im complete novice at fishing, I just a got a nice surf casting rod/reel and am looking at where to head for some fishing. At the moment im leaning towards Muriwai because Its best of both worlds, a blast in the truck up the beach.. and fishing.

Its a massive beach, but what im wondering is..... is there any particular place or entry point that is good for fishing and you dont have to worry about the tide so much ? Ive been out on the beach and around the point and onwards from the golf course entrance...but find that you really goto watch that tide.

Any advice or other recommendations would be good.

DEATH_INC
Hard Yaka

Re: Auckland Fishing

Postby DEATH_INC » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Been wondering the same thing...the Mrs is into rock fishin, but we have no idea where the f@*k to go...

oneinkedgeek
Hard Yaka

Postby oneinkedgeek » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Ive done a little rock fishing when i was younger, but you hear of so many people getting washed off the rocks and drowning these days so ive decided to keep my feet in the ground/sand ;) I think bethals, muriwai, piha, all have rocks to fish off.

Ive always found rock fishing frustrating because of all the gear ya loose... or maybe i wasnt doing it right.

You got a surf caster or smaller rod ? Im going to head out for a fish when i decide where to go sometime in the next few weeks if anyones keen... the wife and kids are off overseas for 5 week so ive got rule of the roost.

DEATH_INC wrote:Been wondering the same thing...the Mrs is into rock fishin, but we have no idea where the f@*k to go...

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:02 pm

bit of a drive but all i will say is 10 mins south of port waikato

oneinkedgeek
Hard Yaka

Postby oneinkedgeek » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:48 pm

J_Dub wrote:bit of a drive but all i will say is 10 mins south of port waikato

How do ya go south of port waikato ? do you mean head into port waikato and then head up that big gravel road and across the farm land ?

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:13 am

instead of turning right over the bridge into the port just keep going strait into limestone downs, dont wana say too much more but do a bit a research

oneinkedgeek
Hard Yaka

Postby oneinkedgeek » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm

J_Dub wrote:instead of turning right over the bridge into the port just keep going strait into limestone downs, dont wana say too much more but do a bit a research

Thanks, that is the place i was thinking of... not been, but heard its good.

Will have to consider going for a look.

mike21
Hard Yaka

Postby mike21 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 pm

j dub i live in bombay tell me more about this spot:) pm me

oneinkedgeek
Hard Yaka

Postby oneinkedgeek » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm

So, i went up Muriwai last weekend, as suggested I went up Rimmers road and out over the dunes... wasnt a bad walk out to the beach and because the tide was so high (it was high, like RIGHT up to the dunes) i left truck in car park, turned right walked up a bit and setup.

Didnt catch anything or even get any bites, the surf was HUGE and it was lucky i had the sand sinkers to keep the line out because without them it just got pushed back to shore.

Next time ill get out there a bit earlier and fish 2-3 hours before high tide rather than turning up on high tide to see if i have any luck.

Was still a good day out and managed to chill out.

Return to “Fish'n”