Poor mans way of getting long line out

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Poor mans way of getting long line out

Postby Colinl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:39 am

Hi all,

Been looking at building a little sail rig/ unmanned boat to take my long line out.
Or use a big ass rubbish bag whatever works best.

Has anyone got other ideas? apart from spending money on a kontiki which you might as well buy a dingy then at least you can sit in the bloody thing.

Planning on heading out to Ocean beach in the waiarapa with he gale North westerlies coming through :twisted:

nzlux
Hard Yaka

Re: Poor mans way of getting long line out

Postby nzlux » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:43 am

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 am

Along time ago we used to make a raft with a car inner tube with a small platform lashed to it and a sail. We used to release the anchor with a second line. Only worked with an off shore wind

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:06 am

We did the same as Suza, but had a line going to the back from the sail through metal eye hook with a barley sugar lolly tied to the under side of the eye. It was at water level so as the waves washed over it it would diminish and eventually let the line go and sail would fall flat and let you wind in with out the resistance of the sail up. :)

Got alot of Kahawai and Red Cod last time out there, tho I hear some Moki do run along the beach at times, good luck.

Suza
Hard Yaka

Postby Suza » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:18 am

I like the barley sugar idea that would have made our lives heaps easier

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:40 am

Balloons
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 pm

Cheers I've found a big "kontiki" bag for $25 online. seems like a go.

I hear the beach has changed alot since the storm blew through.
Similar results as red rocks I'd imagine.
I better bet building.

Got any old inner tubes skid?

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm

Propane powered cannon made out of Heavy wall plastic drain pipe or similar. Use a pipe big enough to handle a beer can full of dry sand as a projectile.

You get everything, you are fishing and making big bangs having driven there in your POS!! What more could a man want?

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Even a potato would be a good projectile for said cannon, but biodegradable so enviro friendly too lol

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Having been down the potato gun road it cost me $230 with a electric(not piezo) igniter with sched 80 pipe.
Since moving along in life and getting a better paid job I feel I am still poorer that what I was 5 years ago??

The best way to get a cheap tate gun is to befriend a pipe fitter and if he's working on a job that involves stainless (dairy plants/oil & gas etc) he can pull together sched 40 pipe and fit + weld them for you for a couple of boxes of beers. heavy but bloody durable.

Gotta make a mould then freeze your bait/sinker into the mould then take them out and shoot them.

FYI for people who are wanting to use a potato gun for fishing.

(These are facts based on my knowledge & research, I am not a lawyer just a keen fisherman, shooter & 4wd enthusiast, you should do your own research and make assumptions based on info you gather, I am not responsible for any mistakes you make, always abide by the law and happy fishing)

Depending on the propellant (Flammable or Comp Air) it comes under two categories
1. Lynx/Start ya Bastard/ propane etc powered guns are classed as a Firearm and you will come under the Arms Act.

2. Compressed Air guns are not and will fall under the Air rifle category.

I rung my local arms officer about using a potato gun on the beach and he cleared it up.

You are using a firearm for a lawful purpose if you are launching a fishing line with it.
But that doesn't make it okay to go shooting your line out with people on the water as this can be deemed negligent/dangerous use of a firearm and you'll risk your license.

Personally I'd still be hesitant to take it to the beach with joe bloggs city slicks around.
All it takes is some tosser to call the AOS on your ass then nek minit jail cell with a broken body parts from being detained as a threat, explaining yourself to them.

What a rant. Feel free to correct any part that is wrong!

25knt winds on sunday cant wait :twisted:

Tarmac
Hard Yaka

Postby Tarmac » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:53 pm

have heard of the barley sugar trick and I like the sound of it. Mates old man made a wee cat or tri (maybe 800 square? was a long time ago) from pvc tube 75mm? with wooden bullet shaped sealed bungs - was a cool project but he kept catching skates or rays
'Drift Spec'... The new "Half Assed"

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Wow didnt relise that spud guns are considered firearms (but makes complete sence)

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:57 pm

Colinl wrote:.........clip.........
1. Lynx/Start ya Bastard/ propane etc powered guns are classed as a Firearm and you will come under the Arms Act.

I rung my local arms officer about using a potato gun on the beach and he cleared it up.

You are using a firearm for a lawful purpose if you are launching a fishing line with it.
But that doesn't make it okay to go shooting your line out with people on the water as this can be deemed negligent/dangerous use of a firearm and you'll risk your license.
..............clip........

25knt winds on Sunday cant wait :twisted:

Well, I will be totally hornswoggled!! Back in the day, I launched dead cats over the hill into the :new" block from Holster Eng in Tokoroa! It took a good forklift to lift the 120mm dia 6M length of Sked 40 into firing position.

Later, I used a 5M length of 40MM stainless milk line from a dismantled dairy farm to throw torch batteries far, far away!!
Today, I would get locked up it seems.

Thanks for the heads up, you have saved me from an ignominious fate....

How bloody pathetic our legislators have become. I wonder if there is any reason for such big brotherness? Has anyone been hit by a dead cat, torch battery, beer can? Blown their hand off with a too weak barrel? I cant recall any, but then... the freakin' lesbian tree lovin' whale huggin' dogooders will always have their way.

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Theyve been classed as fire arms for years, I wasnt aware of the difference for compressed air powered spud guns tho.
Its not hard to see why tho, the spud gun in the video below is built to look like a big stainless revolver. I fired a potato in two pieces through the windscreen of a ford telstar from about 5 metres away, scary to think what could go wrong but dam fun to play with :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/Jr2lEIHHs8M
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

Colinl
Hard Yaka

Postby Colinl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:20 am

went to ocean beach sunday. really scattered wind onshore, offshore, across shore, up shore, left shore every ####### direction possible. so the Kontiki bag i bought was no good. mate went for a dive and vis was well below average has a couple of shots at butterfish.

Roads are cleaner than before due to a dozer doing some work since the storm.

Go back in summer when I can fish as late as I want.

Big Kev
Driver/Navigator

Postby Big Kev » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 pm

I remember my Uncle had a Galloping Gertie, a contraption consisting of a hinged "door" flat on its side where the hinge edge was on the seaward side and it would lift to catch the backwash on a shallow beach, then lie flat as waves came in over it - gradually towing your amateur longline 400 yards out to sea.he used to use it on Muriwai in the good old days you could collect Toheroas I will see if I can find a drawing or picture of it, very simple looking. Ok apparently in " How to Catch Fish and Where " by Bill Hohepa.there are diagrams and instructions on how to make a galloping gertie

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 pm

you remember the movie dam busters..with the skipping bombs....

Now imagine a large argon or oxygen/ acetylene tank filled to the max with compressed air facing out to sea with a inch ball valve replacing the air reg and a long line attached to the neck of the bottle....should be good for awe...2 kilometers. :lol:
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Colinl wrote:.........clip.........

..............clip........

25knt winds on Sunday cant wait :twisted:

When I looked at getting my firearms license to cover my arse when using a "fishing canon", the rules went into the manufacturing of firearms and the testing of and qualification requirements etc etc. It was in the too hard basket for me, and decided to plead ignorant if caught.
If you break it... build it stronger.

Big Kev
Driver/Navigator

Postby Big Kev » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am

As I was searching for plans or drawings for a kontiki I came across this little beauty
http://phartattack.tripod.com/sailline.htm

I am going to have a crack at making one & I thought I would use an old Hi Viz jacket for sail material , am off to price materials today so I'll keep you posted

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:49 am

We just paddle ours out with a $300 sit on Kayak...

Big Kev
Driver/Navigator

Postby Big Kev » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:59 pm

I don't think a $300 Kayak would support my considerable bulk

Return to “Fish'n”