outboard hard to start

elvis
Bush Crasher

outboard hard to start

Postby elvis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Hey guys does anyone no a good outboard mechanic in christchurch. I have an 1997 evinrude 70 hp 2 stroke that is driving me nuts!!! Engine starts great in the morning and will run fine, but if i anchor up for over 20 minutes and try to start her she will fire up no problem but as soon as i give it gas she dies then takes along time to start(2-5 minutes) primer bulb is hard and i have tried taken lid of fuel tank incase of airlock have also tried 4 different tanks. I took it to one mechanic who said its the fuel pump and replaced it (not cheap)boat is still having same problem and have taken it back to him 2 times since he never tells me what he's done to fix it even though i ask, and the problem still exists he's had boat for 3 weeks now(this time) has had compression checked and all were 3 were 120 psi. So if anyone has anyone has any recommendations of where to take it ill be happy to listen otherwise ill try powerboat centre.
cheers troy

philux
Hard Yaka

Re: outboard hard to start

Postby philux » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:08 am

Dont know any boat mechanics but could the choke be playing up?

catalystracing
Hard Yaka

Postby catalystracing » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:32 pm

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 pm

25% ETHER :evil: :evil: :evil: , no no no no & no, don't even think about it :twisted: , it is a drug and one sniff and it will be hooked for life ----- well it's your motor you please your self --- . Is the fuel draining out of the carbs ?. When it won't start and after you have wound it over a couple of dozen times take the plugs out and have a look --- are they dry ? if so you have no fuel getting to the cylinders, if wet and won't fire I'd say you have an ignition problem and the Evinrude/Johnsons do have ignition/coil problems try google. If the plugs are dry after the cranking session dip the firing ends into petrol refit them and give it a spin --- if it fires and runs for a second or to you know that it is a fuel thing, but i'm thinking it's spark. If you go to the agents they will probably try another ignition pack on it to see if that fixes it. The other thing is how good is your battery and starter ? sometimes if either of these are drawing or losing to much amps/voltage there's not enough left for the ignition. Good luck ---------

THERE BLOODY HARD TO PUSH START ,

FITZY.

prado_boon
Hard Yaka

Postby prado_boon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 am

my old outboard did the same. Turns out it was the way I was starting it.

When it's warm, how do you start it?

If it starts fine when warm but dies under a load will it also die you don't turn off and go slow or idle then give it the boot again?

If so sounds fuel related, could even just need an idle adjustment.

prado_boon
Hard Yaka

Postby prado_boon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:51 am

Proper procedure; squeeze the primer bulb first untill firm. Then push the key switch in for choke and rotate to the start position simultaneously. It will crank right up. Of course this is the cold crank procedure only.

Once it's warm you don't touch choke, just turn the key, let it idle for min then smash it in gear/revs.

elvis
Bush Crasher

Postby elvis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 am

Cheers for the info guys outboard starts 1st time in the morning-pump bulb push and turn key.the problem i have is when its warm and sits it wont start sometimes it will start and then when i put power on she conks out and is hard to start(this is when i pump bulb-which is hard,take cap of tank-no air lock,try turning over sometimes with and sometimes without choke and she will usually start after about 2 minutes of this procedure.in answer to your question prado_boon if i let engine idle after running then feed it to her she goes fine if i sit for 5 minutes then restart her theres no problems it just seems the longer i sit there the worse it is.I have replaced fuel primer and pipes plus fuel connectors,spark plugs,replaced fuel filter mechanic has replaced fuel pump and i have replaced battery and terminals its a hard fault to track down as it only seems to do it on the water.
cheers troy

lokrite
Bush Crasher

Postby lokrite » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:24 am

Just picked up on your thread I had had same problem with my 96 evinrude and my mech said it is normal because cowling is to small and fuel evaporates with latent engine heat . So I just reprimed when ready to restart and no more problems .I also changed from caltex to shell and engine would start and go straight to smooth low idle with out throttle when cold .

elvis
Bush Crasher

Postby elvis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 am

I forgot about this thread motor is now running like a new one mechanic tried running it a bit richer which seems to have fixed the problem went out last weekend all day and had no problems and we stopped and started a lot.boat takes a little longer to start in the mornings now and i have to give it a bit more choke but I'm happy.

Return to “Fish'n”