Panhard rod, angle??

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Panhard rod, angle??

Postby lexulance » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Doing a coil conversion on my hilux, i have started at the rear axle first, the vehicle is probly about 2 inches higher than standard, anyone able to give advise or measurements on what angles can be acceptable over and above the horizontal axis of the panhard rod at normal ride height :?

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Re: Panhard rod, angle??

Postby Fakey » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Last edited by Fakey on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:45 pm

^^^^Exactly what he said, if you need to ask this question for the back, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it all :wink:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:48 pm

Back, who really cares so long as its some where close, flatter and longer the better. Front well, as close to angle and length of drag link as poss andn it does matter and make a huge difference.
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

Fakey
Hard Yaka

Postby Fakey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:55 am

Last edited by Fakey on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Didn't barbie drive a jeep??

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 pm

rokhound wrote:^^^^Exactly what he said, if you need to ask this question for the back, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it all :wink:

Theres always a fuckhead that only wants to be smart and not give any useful information isnt there, how the f do you think people learn? by asking questions.
But by the sound of it rockhound knows everything and has never asked for advice in his life :evil:

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 pm

The only STUPID QUESTION is a question not asked... :wink:
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:33 pm

ice4x4 wrote:The only STUPID QUESTION is a question not asked... :wink:

Thanks man :) its good to know theres people that arn't just out to take the piss

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 pm

one extra bit of advice you want to have it attached to the chassi on the drivers side.... requirement of a cert :wink: that pan hard bars be the same front and rear

Cheers Reece

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:01 pm

De-Ranged wrote:one extra bit of advice you want to have it attached to the chassi on the drivers side.... requirement of a cert :wink: that pan hard bars be the same front and rear

Cheers Reece

Thanks for that :) its very useful info, also a trap a person could fall into easily.
Hey man been following your build, hows it coming along now?

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

lexulance wrote:
rokhound wrote:^^^^Exactly what he said, if you need to ask this question for the back, then maybe you shouldn't be doing it all :wink:

Theres always a fuckhead that only wants to be smart and not give any useful information isnt there, how the f do you think people learn? by asking questions.
But by the sound of it rockhound knows everything and has never asked for advice in his life :evil:

You know what, Go fark yourself. If you can't take it, don't ask it. Most people who try to do this type of thing have done a fair amount of their own research before attempting to go down this road. If they are capable of rational thought and reading, they will have discovered that 3link 101 is about rear panhard placement. If you didn't want to get attacked or like like a total imbecile maybe the question you could have asked was "I have been looking around the net and it appears that the best way to doa rear panhard is to keep it as long and flat as possible. What are other peoples thoughts on this?"
Wankers like you are why sites that were once good are now fast becoming total shit!
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 pm

rokhound wrote:
lexulance wrote:

You know what, Go fark yourself. If you can't take it, don't ask it. Most people who try to do this type of thing have done a fair amount of their own research before attempting to go down this road. If they are capable of rational thought and reading, they will have discovered that 3link 101 is about rear panhard placement. If you didn't want to get attacked or like like a total imbecile maybe the question you could have asked was "I have been looking around the net and it appears that the best way to doa rear panhard is to keep it as long and flat as possible. What are other peoples thoughts on this?"
Wankers like you are why sites that were once good are now fast becoming total shit!

The only wanker here is you, because you think you know every thing and clearly you dont, by the petty nature of your response :lol: you need to grow up and fast :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bda4130
Hard Yaka

Postby bda4130 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:36 pm

Psyco!!!! Just cause someone doesn't word a question just how you'd like it in your spastic I'm the greastest engineer that ever lived world, doesn't meen they're a total dickhead that doesn't know anything! Maybe beating off will help you calm down a bit.

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

think all need to calm down abit.

As said the flatter the better so things don't move around when twisting things up.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 pm

lexulance wrote:The only wanker here is you, because you think you know every thing and clearly you dont, by the petty nature of your response :lol: you need to grow up and fast :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bda4130 wrote:Psyco!!!! Just cause someone doesn't word a question just how you'd like it in your spastic I'm the greastest engineer that ever lived world, doesn't meen they're a total dickhead that doesn't know anything! Maybe beating off will help you calm down a bit.

Oh you go girls :lol:
Alienating some of the most onto it people ain't gonna help you guys. People see your attitude and think "what a douchebag", followed closely by "I ain't gonna help him" Just use the search bar a bit combined with google maybe, (reading always helps) and then ask civilised questions without abusing others. Its not that hard to share the same sandpit children. One of the other kids might throw sand at you but there's no need to go off the deep end as a result. Suggesting it may be a bit over your head if you don't understand the basic concepts is a perfectly legitimate comment, or was it the :wink: that got you?

This sorta shit is why a lot of members don't post anything now and we have less and less quality builds posted as a result.

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
psycho, classic :mrgreen:
Simple question asked, answer achieved by mature and helpful people, eventually :lol:
Thanks to the adults that answered my legitimate question :wink:

bda4130
Hard Yaka

Postby bda4130 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 pm

lexulance wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
psycho, classic :mrgreen:
Simple question asked, answer achieved by mature and helpful people, eventually :lol:
Thanks to the adults that answered my legitimate question :wink:

When asking a question on this site be prepared to be bombarded with people telling you what you have/are doing wrong with no info about what you are actually doing.

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Try posting on other sites like pirate and you will find it a shitload worse than here. You gotta wear one of these when breathing a word on there

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:14 pm

:?: :?:
I know, got to take the good with the bad :roll:

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 am

:lol: I'm in a good mood today so I wont take the piss, instead I'll offer some advice about this site... and what you plan

This site is getting to the stage where the old guard are getting sick of answering the same questions, questions that we (the old guard) have spent time researching... that is why some of us are blunt with our answers, don't be afraid to use "search" functions on this site and other sites, you will get more respect and more indepth answers if you come to us with something other than a noobie question...
Just something to consider... I'm guessing you want good information from our answers, or are you more interested in polite replies from people who like the sound of there own voice... people who don't have our experience :wink:

As for Rok's comment about you not doing this sort of mod..... This isn't just a case of slap some links under there and you'll have a super flexy super truck :lol: there is so much more to it, do you know what anti squat/anti dive is and how it effects handling... what about roll center height or degrees of under/oversteer these are things you are about to start playing with
I've seen guys with yrs of race and mod experience build unsafe trucks... in fact there was one locally that had its cert pulled, the truck was sold for a few thousand a fraction of what he paid to get it done and that was partly due to issues with the 3 link and handling!!(in no way associated with me :wink: )

I'm not saying don't do it :lol: we all start somewhere.... but if you want to learn from us old guard, want us to give up our knowledge then learn to be humble :wink: we may take the piss a bit but generally there is a kernel of truth in there

As for how the Zuk is going :roll: I had a week down in southland port now I'm chasing my tail :lol: I've got a toolbox/deck for a tyre truck to finish, and then my mates truck (finally got all the bits) then I'll get back to it...

Cheers Reece

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 am

well said reece..
ImageImage

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:52 pm

as a relatively new person to this site i've found what de-ranged has posted to be exactly spot-on.
I just take the info i need out of the posts and ignore the rest.
no point getting fired up about it.

lexulance
Hard Yaka

Postby lexulance » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Hi there De-ranged, thanks for your explanation :D
I respect what you have had to say and i am glad you havnt said anything insulting to me, the whole point of my post was to get some real nuts and bolts answers from people like yourself that have the knowledge and are not out to insult peoples intelligence.
In my experiance as a qualified motor mechanic, for more than 15 years now, i have seen too many f@#kups by other mechanics that were too scared to ask questions for fear that somebody might think theyre stupid :roll:
I work on 4wds all day every day and i understand the terms you have used ie drive reaction and degrees of over/ under steer etc im not an idiot by any means, yes i work on them all day but i have not done seriouse suspension modifications to my vehicle or others, i have fitted calmini kits to vitaras etc but that is all pre fabricated bolt on stuff.
Hence why im asking first before i make a major fuckup :lol:
I have done numerous re powers and have done a lot of work with link computers and programming ecu's, for 4wds and race cars, have had a lot of experiance with automatic transmissions,ie rebuilding them, modifying them, fixing faults.
I just hope that my experiance can be helpful to somebody on this site some day and i can return the favour :wink:

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:04 am

some real rough guide lines are

1.) make links as long as possible (gives them more of a flat plane)
2.) make the uppers 3/4 of the length of the bottom links
3.) make the links parrell to each other
4.) triangular links combat rear steer better.

ultimately, have a read of this and pump some measurements into the calcs provided... 4 link the rear... no panhard to worry about then..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204893
ImageImage

De-Ranged
Hard Yaka

Postby De-Ranged » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:12 am

:wink: then you'll be used to seeing the shite the new apprentice gets, similar sort of shite... and I bet you've seen what happens when the apprentice gets lippy to the wrong people :lol: if you havn't got the hint I mean Rok, one very smart cooky
Yes there are some people on here who arn't worth listening too :lol: all I can say about them is spend the time on here and with your experience you'll work out those that know

Here's a couple of pointer's
Go and find the 3 link calculator should be a link on pirate4x4, a very good site for long travel suspension information but there are also alot of experts on there who have read something that was posted on there and now know everything... generally they are some of the loudest :roll: oh and don't post there unless you are willing for pages of flaming :wink:
Now for the shite your not going to find on that site... unless you talk to the right people
Your hilux has a long enough WB to be able to have Anti-Squat for a rock crawler 50-80 depending on driving style, for a club truck 40-60.... too much will make the truck bounce on the rear axle on steep climbs :wink: but you want AS because it gives you extra grip
You want your pan hard high this will give you a higher roll center this is a good thing in a beam axle suspension it will control some body roll
Under/Over steer is personal preference I like slow steering for road :wink:
longer links less rear steer at articulation but the stronger the links need to be

when you have your numbers sorted bring them back to us

Cheers Reece

Hey nibs you forgot about the fuel tank issue :wink: I'll bet its why he wanted to go 3 link in the first place

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 am

De-Ranged wrote:Hey nibs you forgot about the fuel tank issue :wink: I'll bet its why he wanted to go 3 link in the first place

too true, i had considered that but thought maybe relocate the tank? i had to remove my under floor tank for that reason..

all good either way.. :mrgreen:

as for rok, he is a big ball of knowledge and has always been one to impart help and experience where needed. dont 'poo poo' his words as he was just tryin to get ya re-evaluating what ya doin and why for the correct reasons as it can be a big task. dont let your vocation and experiences there rule your emotions when it comes to something new like this. he's a good cat, sorta funny lookin, but good. :mrgreen:

now go get researchin and enjoy! :wink:
ImageImage

Return to “Having problems?”