How do you add a signature!?!

bronx89
Hard Yaka

How do you add a signature!?!

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Says you can do so in the UCP, and how would you access this? Can't for the life of me find it...

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Re: How do you add a signature!?!

Postby jonossiksilvia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Need to be a supporter of site im sure
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm

as above you need to be a paid site supporter to get a signature and avatar, its a cheep price to pay for the information and benefits you get out of the site :mrgreen:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketp ... hip-1-year

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Wow sh*t never heard of paying for a sig and avatar on a forum before! But that would explain why I can't find the UCP sig area.. Was wondering why it was so naked!

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Gotta pay to host a forum somehow...

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Sure do but not really needed when hosting is stuff all per year, $50 if that. Never ever seen fees for such basic features on forums before and I've seen a LOT of them. Just my 2c.

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:51 pm

been a paid option on this site for a long time mate, not everyone chooses to its your choice whether you want to support it or not, it all started back here in 2006

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... =20&t=2560

slide
Hard Yaka

Postby slide » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm

bronx89 wrote:Wow sh*t never heard of paying for a sig and avatar on a forum before! ....
Was wondering why it was so naked!

I think its a good thing, something many other forums could learn from. I hate trying to look for the info in amongst everyones junk signatures. And all the photos in the signatures, takes forever to load a page up....

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Sadam_Husain wrote:as above you need to be a paid site supporter to get a signature and avatar, its a cheep price to pay for the information and benefits you get out of the site :mrgreen:

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/marketp ... hip-1-year

That's slightly arguable since the search function got all farked up :?

bronx89 wrote:Sure do but not really needed when hosting is stuff all per year, $50 if that. Never ever seen fees for such basic features on forums before and I've seen a LOT of them. Just my 2c.

I hear ya. You would be much better off paying the hosting yourself, putting in countless hours and setting up your own website.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm

slide wrote:I think its a good thing, something many other forums could learn from. I hate trying to look for the info in amongst everyones junk signatures. And all the photos in the signatures, takes forever to load a page up....

Yea, but having character limits and image size limits on signatures is a simple and effective way to stop all of that happening :) what 99% of other forums do. I agree it's cool not having any signatures whatsoever because half the time it's junk and annoying but charging for the features is, to me, way OTT for some extra dosh.

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 pm

bronx89 wrote:Sure do but not really needed when hosting is stuff all per year, $50 if that. Never ever seen fees for such basic features on forums before and I've seen a LOT of them. Just my 2c.

I'd like to see where you pay $50 for a years hosting with the bandwidth and database sizes of ORE, along with what is obviously a decent connection+low ping. You'll need to quote me locally... ORE appears to be hosted from hosting direct (now "openhost") - their cheapest hosting plan is 1k MB disk space. Costs you $96 annually.

Also note the distinct lack of any advertising on the site bar the vendors section. Not a banner ad in sight.

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 pm

Database size is nothing special on ORE.. bandwidth disk space and connection quality (uptime) are all cheap as chips these days too. The $50 was in NZD. Look I'm not going to get into this. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, charging for things like the use of a signature and avatar is pretty outrageous. That's it. End of. Not saying the forum is sh*t or a waste of space or anything even close. It's helpful and a great place to chat and source information. I'm simply commenting on one facet of the forum. Just as long as membership doesn't soon come with a fee! :twisted:

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

i like this forum. don't see any other 4wd forums in nz....

good job fellas that run it! ;)

(only thing i miss is the email notifications, but its not a biggie)
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

Mod or someone please delete this topic, cheers.

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:48 pm

In my opinion i'd happily pay a fee to access the forum. And id happily pay extra to get the signature and aviator. the info on this site is huge.

as everyone is saying dont pay if you dont want to you'll just wont get the benefit of extras you get by paying. Its not a given right to have a signature or aviator pic. Its not a given right to have access to this forum. Its not a given right to have a license to drive.

could be worse as whole forum could be pay only access, but its not :D shit you dont even have to be a member to read alot of stuff.

Lots of people dont realise the work that "seniors" do to keep the forum working properly and i see it as saying thanks by paying the small fee and whats even better is that there is no advertising on this site which pisses me off in other forums which is also i assume is a result off a supporters fee.

Thanks to all that work hard running site and others who use the site

All the above is my opinion end rant
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 pm

bronx89 wrote: charging for things like the use of a signature and avatar is pretty outrageous.

supporters are paying to help contribute to the site hosting and development and get an avatar and signature in recognition of the contribution its not a fee for the features themselves

Jerry
Yes Dear

Postby Jerry » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 pm

if you don't like try a different nz forum :lol:

the supporters fee supports the site and helps pay for traffic and stuff, other overseas forums have membership fees so its not an uncommon thing
70 series prado (KZJ78) and 90 Series Prado (KZJ95)

bronx89
Hard Yaka

Postby bronx89 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Jerry wrote:if you don't like try a different nz forum :lol:

the supporters fee supports the site and helps pay for traffic and stuff, other overseas forums have membership fees so its not an uncommon thing

Lol right-o

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 pm

when the supporters membership came in ore bought a server for 2k. this ran ore for 5 odd years and took over from the $140/month telstra connection it was on which I was paying for out of my own pocket (2003-2006). Now it runs on a virtual server with 1 cpu and 2 gigs of ram and handles 500-750 thousand page views a month and pushes out 30gigs of data (used to be nearly 70 I think). When it was on its own server it was handling nearly a million views a month, the site has since reduced in traffic and server specs are less than half of the old server but it now runs 4 forms of caching to handle the load.

The site is lucky to get 2-5 supporters a month and has about 4 vendors a year which gives it some reserves. ore used to be hosted on one of those budget $50 jobbies, but the latency was really shit and they tried kicking it off because the traffic was to heavy and it was using to much cpu time. That was $400US for a 2 year plan, complete waste of money. Only good thing about it was for an emergancy backup. Shared hosting sucks in my opinion as you have very limited control over what you can do server wise.

The nz sailing forums I belong to has less members than ore and makes about 50k a year in advertising :shock: you don't need to pay for an avatar there but then their business model is much more advanced than ore with lots of advertisers, hell you should see the wicked 60ft yacht the owner just bought and then when you compare that to my surf sitting in the shed with no wof, no reg, no cert on bald SAT tyres you can work out pretty quickly who's in it for the money and who's not :wink:
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Return to “Having problems?”