What shotgun to buy?

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

What shotgun to buy?

Postby Petemcc » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:18 pm

Well last year my gun broke and I have decided it might be time for a new one. Will be use mainly for duck shooting and a few clays. I am after a nice gun that is reliable. My current gun as an ATA CY and jams up a bit which I hate. I would like this gun to last me a good 20 years or longer.

I don't know bugger all about guns, pros and cons etc. What do you suggest? New or 2nd hand. I wouldn't really want to go over $1500 less it better but don't want to buy another gun of lower quality like my current ATA.

Was in a shop today and was recommended a beretta A300 for 1499 in synthetic of 1599 in wood. I think I would prefer wood...

Cheers,
Pete

Gyxx
Hard Yaka

Re: What shotgun to buy?

Postby Gyxx » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Once you've decided what you like keep an eye on the sales and what's available online.

I was looking for a new rifle a couple of years back and found the model I wanted a whopping $500 cheaper through Gun City online than the shelf price at my local hunting shop. I went into my local and told the guy there "Look I'd rather buy local but $500 difference is a bit much" after a bit of back and forth I got him to within $100 of the online price with a couple of extras thrown in as a sweetener.

Never pay retail...

trucked
Hard Yaka

Postby trucked » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Play with them in the gun store, if they do demo days then i would recommend it or ask if you can borrow the demo and test it out. It would be best to find one that fits well

I am biased to a beretta though having a xtrema2 that i have had for the last five years and had no problems with it.

Something like that seems pretty good value
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hunting-shooting/shotguns/semiautomatic/auction-870810674.htm

tuff lux
Hard Yaka

Postby tuff lux » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:44 pm

judging what u want to spend the a400 are a arsome gun.... the old man has one has not mist a beat can highly recommend

Im a Tumor
Bush Crasher

Postby Im a Tumor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Theres a few guns that i really like in the 12ga range. I shoot an ATA Arms 12ga which seems to be a direct copy of a Weatherby.
This will be my 3rd duck season with it and i havent had a problem with it.
As Trucked said go into a gunshop and have a play with their shotguns.
Iv shot Trucked's extrema and it is very nice - a little bit nicer than my mates Remington VersaMax

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:55 pm

A400 is more than you wanna spend new and I'd be wary of a demo having seen how many shells go through one before they sell it off...also warranty??
If buying new I'd go Benelli M2, again a couple hundy above your budget though.
Browning Maxus is also a good gun and i think around your budget. Available in wood.
I've always found berettas were like swinging anti aircraft guns due to their size.

As with tools buy once and cry once. A cheap auto will at some stage piss you off.
I favour inertia guns so have owned an M2, a SBE2 and a stoeger. Only shot friends berettas so can't really comment.
Its the three B's (Beretta, Browning, Benelli) that are popular and regarded as long-lived and reliable esp in the states. The Versamax is gaining a good reputation over there now too.

As has been said try and get along to one of the beretta shoots that are running round the country at the mo and try some out...

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi Pete, flick me a PM with contact numbers, am more than willing to share my 50+ yrs of shotgun shooting with anyone. Gun City are good to deal with, ask for Sam Gawn and tell him FITZY says to give a good deal. Not long now to the Quackers.

GET READY,

FITZY.

bob_or_jim
Hard Yaka

Postby bob_or_jim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Pete, as above the 3 B's are hard to look past. I picked up my berretta Xtreema 2 a couple of years ago and love it. Not as user friendly as my browning gold but nicer shooting and similar fit. The #1 most important thing is the fit. If you dont fit it there is no point in having the best gun because you wont hit anything.

If you can try before you buy then thats the way to go. If your in Invers I can let you have a play with the Browning and Berretta if you like. Dont know anyone with a Benelli so cant comment there.

Cheers

Jeremy

Pj_Marsh
Hard Yaka

Postby Pj_Marsh » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:49 am

Remmy 870, cheap but quality, will always cycle and handle any ammo. Also heaps of bits. Bit of practice and you can keep up with semi's no problem.

elvis
Bush Crasher

Postby elvis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:35 pm

If your wanting one youll keep for 20 years then deffiantly try before you buy i used to borrow a mates cheap chinese under and over and it fitted me like a glove i could hardly miss with that old girl then i bought my own gun (stoeger 2000-only issue ive had is some brand of 3 inch ammo get jammed) i still do alright but i have to concentrate alot more to hit the target and just feels wrong.I do love the semi auto though just have to find one that fits.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:30 pm

I just Bought a Stoeger M3000 for $750 at gun city. They are getting really good reviews online and I couldn't find any negative press. Once I get out with it I will report back about reliability.

tonyl
Stropper

Postby tonyl » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:25 am

my versamax has been really good

chrome
Hard Yaka

Postby chrome » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:16 pm

How about a pump 12g?
Attachments
image.jpeg