Papua New Guinea - extreme dialup warning

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Papua New Guinea - extreme dialup warning

Postby fweddy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:48 pm

Just returned from 2 weeks in "The Land of the Unexpected" I've renamed it the home of the 70 series!

There is no argument in the Toyota vs Nissan debate there - Toyota have won hands down and the Toyota 4x4 of choice is unquestionably the 70 series cruiser!

At one place i was standing by the road and taking photos of EVERY vehicle that went past for about 30-45 mins here is the list.

Toyota (double cab hilux)
Toyota (police 70 series)
Toyota (hiace van)
Toyota (hiace van)
Mitsubishi (L200)
Mitsubishi (L200)
Toyota (hiace van)
Toyota (Hiace van)
Mazda (Van clapped out)
Toyota (Hiace van)
Toyota (hiace van)
Mazda (single cab 2wd)
Toyota (police 70 series)

I would say the second most common after Toyota is Mazda

Let me start with a couple of Nissan photos to show that there were some there.
(Its in the back ground, sorry just happened to be a cruiser in the way, you gotta take what you get when photographing rare things)

We managed to get stuck in this one on a road! All had to climb out and do a push recovery (I'm still convinced that the driver could have reversed out of it and tried again with a few more herbs)

Talking about being stuck, we came across this while walking along the 'road' (had deserted our Hiace PMV due to a big mud patch).
The big truck was stuck and the small truck and the boys at the front were fruitlessly pulling it

Misti

This one was used as a hearse for a 2 month old baby that died. I was asked to be photographer. The driver had the knack of leaving down gear changes to the point just before the engine dies trying to pull the vehicle up hill, so it normally required changing down a couple of gears. Was dark by the time we did the actual burial, the trucks lights gave up so my small AA battery torch was the lighting for the event!

This wee Mazda was one mode of transport we piled on the back of, it had no brakes amongst other problems, here is it having it's tyre pumped up while we waited to return. It had bald tyres and no spare. By the time the week was out it was no longer in use!

I spotted a few Suzukis, not sure if this one is alive or dead.

Saw just the cab of a series landie sitting on the ground in a yard

But now onto what really rules over there.

Toyota Hilux
very few surfs but spotted this one
Some one had some cash!

Saw some 60, 80, 90 and 100 series cruisers but not lots

70s litter the place! But I'll spare posting too many photos of them.
This one made me drawl

Over there it is basically the oldest vehicle still in running condition wins
this truck is a bit far gone
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.
Now just a 1994, 1kz Surf, pretty standard.

missnz
Driver/Navigator

Postby missnz » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:32 pm

super photos fweddy! Glad you had a good time and saw lots of your favorite trucks! :)

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 pm

i thought i was the only one to go on holiday and take pics of trucks. :shock: awsome pics freddy. i know where to go to get parts then :lol:

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:15 pm

basics wrote:i thought i was the only one to go on holiday and take pics of trucks. :shock: awsome pics freddy. i know where to go to get parts then :lol:

lol I went on work actually but part of the job was videoing and photography so I had one or two camera's on me at any given time.
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.
Now just a 1994, 1kz Surf, pretty standard.

Return to “Where in the world is ORE”