J Dodds Ltd - Transport Certification

Moderator: Vendors

doddzee
Is Doddgee

J Dodds Ltd - Transport Certification

Postby doddzee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:18 am

So Mike saw me trying to get my new website out there via facebook and suggested I put a post up due to ORE's google pull.

Recently I have stated my own business J Dodds Ltd - Transport Design & Certification based just north of Auckland in Warkworth however can work mobile all over New Zealand.

www.jdoddsltd.co.nz

I offer Heavy Vehicle Certification, Welding Supervision, Welding Qualifications and General Transport consultancy and design work.

For those that have come across Heavy Vehicle certifiers we are similar to the LVVTA certifiers for any vehicles over 3500kg. We however we don't have a design book telling us how things must be built. We have rules and standards we have to work within but the actual design of components or details is up to us to ensure they are fit for purpose and with the law. We spend more time in designing and liaising through the manufacturing process. Whether it be from repair work or full design of heavy vehicle's e.g. transport trailers we can look after the design process from concept to completion and issue final certification.

Some of the standards we use cross over light vehicles including some LVVTA regulations so I have a fair bit of experience with Transport laws, regulations and requirements. If any one has any questions regarding vehicle rules or regulations at any time id be more than happy to help out where possible.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: J Dodds Ltd - Transport Certification

Postby mudlva » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Humm good timing. Was going to talk to Brian regarding a wee job on my transporter domestic tow hitch. Can throw the inspection your way if you are able to make it to papakura

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Shouldn't be a problem, Brian may have been passed it my way anyway. I am working in with Brian, he is quite busy and has been trying to slow down a little so is passing off a lot of repair and re-cert work my way. He's getting too old to climb under vehicles he reckons :D

PM me your contact details or give me a call on 020 4447711 and we can tee up a time.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Will zap a text tomorrow :D

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Good luck Doddzee.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 pm

What are the rules/regs concerning the fitment of a live axle in place of independent front suspension in a vehicle that has a monocoque chassis?, Cheers.

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:17 am

nivaman wrote:What are the rules/regs concerning the fitment of a live axle in place of independent front suspension in a vehicle that has a monocoque chassis?, Cheers.

Sorry for the slow reply Nivaman. Unfortunately I do not have access to the Hobby Car Manual at the moment which you would need to refer to, however from memory this would be outside the scope of the manual (please someone correct me if they have a copy and I am incorrect) and would need to be referred to the LVVTA Technical committee for review and approval. Most of scratch build type suspension modifications in the manual are based on ladder type chassis, they guidelines on monocoque chassis are fairly limited.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks doddzee
How would one get in touch with the technical committee?, via a certifier?.

derk
Hard Yaka

Postby derk » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:30 pm

their contact details are all on their website mate :D

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 pm

In the words of Homer Simpson Doh!.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Would goosenecking a formerly ford transit-camper and putting a class 5/ turntable on my truck be up your alley?

Follow-up question, could you make a quick-detach turntable hitch? I'm guessing not, but have to ask!
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 pm

MihiT wrote:Would goosenecking a formerly ford transit-camper and putting a class 5/ turntable on my truck be up your alley?

Follow-up question, could you make a quick-detach turntable hitch? I'm guessing not, but have to ask!

If it has a GVM of over 3500kg the those modificaitons will require certification from someone like myself. If its under 3500kg, a trailer or doesnt fall under LVVTA certification I can also help out.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm

doddzee wrote:
MihiT wrote:Would goosenecking a formerly ford transit-camper and putting a class 5/ turntable on my truck be up your alley?

If it has a GVM of over 3500kg the those modificaitons will require certification from someone like myself. If its under 3500kg, a trailer or doesnt fall under LVVTA certification I can also help out.

Is that CGVM or each seperately? It's a pretty stock Nissan Safari, so not quite 3500, but with the trailer on it may tip the scales.

It's all a long long way down my list of priorities, but I'm always looking out for contacts.
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 pm

MihiT wrote:
doddzee wrote:

Is that CGVM or each seperately? It's a pretty stock Nissan Safari, so not quite 3500, but with the trailer on it may tip the scales.

It's all a long long way down my list of priorities, but I'm always looking out for contacts.

Separatly, heavy vehicles are defined as a motor vehicle with a GVM > 3500kg. In regards to towing connections on light vehicles they do not require certification however should be built to the appropriate standard and rated, i.e. NZS5467 for towbars.

You will need to watch the weight of your safari though, they only have a GVM of around 2700kg and it sounds like you are proposing to exceed that.
MWB V8 Safari Ute

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:24 am

nivaman wrote:Thanks doddzee

So I called em up and they said it could be done. Result!.

doddzee
Is Doddgee

Postby doddzee » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:42 pm

nivaman wrote:

Do you need to submit it to the Technical Committee? Have they given you a process to work through?
MWB V8 Safari Ute

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 am

doddzee wrote:
nivaman wrote:

Do you need to submit it to the Technical Committee? Have they given you a process to work through?

No mention of any of that, said because of the age of the vehicle (1989) there is no frontal impact zones, a change to live axle could be done.
Did give me a couple certifier names.

Return to “Body/Armor”