Tomsoffroad & Customs

Moderator: Vendors

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Mattman
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Kapiti

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Mattman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Lovely work Tom. Jealous......

User avatar
De-Ranged
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1864
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Hawkes Bay

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby De-Ranged » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:03 pm

whats the score on the tabs ontop of the lower mounts ..... another set of shocks or sway bar ?

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 pm

De-Ranged wrote:whats the score on the tabs ontop of the lower mounts ..... another set of shocks or sway bar ?


Swaybar :wink:

User avatar
suzolla
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1577
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Hamilton
Contact:

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby suzolla » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Tom,
Looking good, couple of questions
What bushes are you using
Are the top and bottom links the same length and are they parallel to each other.
Any touching of the Tie rod on the bottom links at full flex
whoops that was 3 questions

Cheers
Tim

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm

suzolla wrote:Hi Tom,
Looking good, couple of questions
What bushes are you using
Are the top and bottom links the same length and are they parallel to each other.
Any touching of the Tie rod on the bottom links at full flex
whoops that was 3 questions

Cheers
Tim


Bushes are 130 surf
top arms are 610mm. Lower arms are 700mm and aren't parallel.
No touching but at full flex and full lock there would only be 1mm clearance max.

Its all pretty tight in there Tim. I wondered several times if using prado knuckles and ln106 steering arms would've been easier. Then by setting up the tie rod and drag link like on a 60 series cruiser the tie rod would then be in front of the diff. Food for thought.

User avatar
shortylux
Hard Yaka
Posts: 563
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby shortylux » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 pm

tomsoffroad wrote: I wondered several times if using prado knuckles and ln106 steering arms would've been easier. Then by setting up the tie rod and drag link like on a 60 series cruiser the tie rod would then be in front of the diff. Food for thought.


At least that is an easy(ish) thing to change in the future if it becomes an issue.

As always, nice work bro.

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:00 am

shortylux wrote:
tomsoffroad wrote: I wondered several times if using prado knuckles and ln106 steering arms would've been easier. Then by setting up the tie rod and drag link like on a 60 series cruiser the tie rod would then be in front of the diff. Food for thought.


At least that is an easy(ish) thing to change in the future if it becomes an issue.

As always, nice work bro.


Thank you :D
There's no issue with this one bro. Just thinking out loud for the next one :wink:

User avatar
suzolla
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1577
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Hamilton
Contact:

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby suzolla » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:20 am

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info, looking to do mine sometime but will see if cert man will accept single top link.
Sounds like it is well designed if no touches, good stuff.
Cheers
Tim

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:10 am

suzolla wrote:Hi Tom,
Thanks for the info, looking to do mine sometime but will see if cert man will accept single top link.
Sounds like it is well designed if no touches, good stuff.
Cheers
Tim


Was a mission Tim :lol: you shouldn't have any problems with a single top link, ive sent a few through cert now. Seems that as long as the top link is on the diff head theres no issues.

mike barnett
Hard Yaka
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 am

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby mike barnett » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:56 pm

if that builder boy now with a bowtie uses that magnificent piece of engernering to out drive my nissan ill shout him a 24 pack and cook him breaky.hahahaha nice work tom turbo soooooon ??? or should i ask him :wink:

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:53 pm

mike barnett wrote:if that builder boy now with a bowtie uses that magnificent piece of engernering to out drive my nissan ill shout him a 24 pack and cook him breaky.hahahaha nice work tom turbo soooooon ??? or should i ask him :wink:


Haa lets not go there Mike :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Turbo is always a good idea :twisted: :twisted:

Nigel Bannan
Bush Crasher
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Nigel Bannan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 pm

mike barnett wrote:if that builder boy now with a bowtie uses that magnificent piece of engernering to out drive my nissan ill shout him a 24 pack and cook him breaky.hahahaha nice work tom turbo soooooon ??? or should i ask him :wink:

Time will tell Mike! You going to Westport with this lot? Nig

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka
Posts: 556
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: ShakeShake

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Twodiffs » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:57 am

Off to Perth next month Nig...want me to bring you back a UFI jobbie? :wink:

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:04 am

Update time :mrgreen: Just finished Adams LN106 Tube(ish) deck.
It has a underdeck winch, Hi-lift and spade mounts and a under deck box for strops etc.

This is where we started

Image

Winch mount (haven't added the actual winch mounts in this pic :roll: )

Image
Image
Image

Whipped up some chunky guards

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:07 am

Then onto the cage :mrgreen:

Image
Image
Image

Then add the pretty black paint......... job done :D

Image

User avatar
catalystracing
Hard Yaka
Posts: 819
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:14 am
Location: within the matrix

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby catalystracing » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:20 am

When I grow up I wanna be like Tom 8) :mrgreen:
The rear lights really set it off nicely
Super nice work mate :D

User avatar
Mattman
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Kapiti

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Mattman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:59 am

That is awesome. Looks like a wicked truck.

User avatar
4X4LUX
Driver/Navigator
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: Rangiora

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby 4X4LUX » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:36 pm

:mrgreen:

User avatar
tallsam66
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Christchurch

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tallsam66 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks for ya help today :)

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Another update........ another LN106 Hilux rears up front conversion with a kzn165 rear leaf swap. Oh and sliders :wink: :wink: Ended up with some pretty sweet flex for leaves :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Then I got back onto the x brace on the Prado........ Before you ask :lol: ..... 1. Yes it unbolts. 2.The centre hole is above the radiator filler cap.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
nztimr33
Hard Yaka
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby nztimr33 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 pm

looks sweet man 8) was wondering what u were going to do with that rather large hole in the bonnet :wink:

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 pm

nztimr33 wrote:looks sweet man 8) was wondering what u were going to do with that rather large hole in the bonnet :wink:


Cheers :D I try to do things differently :mrgreen:

User avatar
Petemcc
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Petemcc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 pm

have you got the full leaf pack in the rear of that lux? Looks to be close to the bump stops. Mine is a bit short, was thinking of taking out one of the overloads but not sure which one.

Cheers,
Pete

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Petemcc wrote:have you got the full leaf pack in the rear of that lux? Looks to be close to the bump stops. Mine is a bit short, was thinking of taking out one of the overloads but not sure which one.

Cheers,
Pete


yeah it is a full pack Pete. All the weight on the back probably helped :D

User avatar
Petemcc
Hard Yaka
Posts: 1386
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Queenstown

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby Petemcc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:45 pm

yea might have to try it with the fire wood on tomorrow haha.

Also have you got any pics of your front shackles? Do you put a support brace in them to stop them twisting like with the back ones?

User avatar
tomsoffroad
Flopsie
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: North Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby tomsoffroad » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 am

Petemcc wrote:yea might have to try it with the fire wood on tomorrow haha.

Also have you got any pics of your front shackles? Do you put a support brace in them to stop them twisting like with the back ones?


No theres no barce in the front shackles. They're only 40mm longer than factory and there is no clearance for a brace.
Have yours twisted Pete? :? :D

User avatar
KROOZA
Hard Yaka
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 5:49 pm
Location: Canterbury

Re: Tomsoffroad & Customs

Postby KROOZA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:31 pm

That is pretty mean flex for leaves for sure !! Like it 8)

Return to “Suspension”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest