Re: Group buy, Runva Winches

Postby T-Boon » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:47 pm

yea, thats cool,

Was just hoping a better responce, as the prices are pretty good. :D

loryda
Driver/Navigator

Postby loryda » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Ill be looking in another month or so, unfortunately cant stump up with the cash to cover it just yet, need to get the priorities sorted including the elecs in the hilux before i can commit to a winch at this stage.

Cheers
Alex.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 pm

T-Boon wrote:#1 T-boon - EWX12000 Electric Winch
#2 rokhound - EWX12000 Electric Winch
#3 tpft - EWX12000 Electric Winch
#4 - PM?
#5 - PM?

# - Nick555 - Maybe
# - 2MEKE - Maybe
# - MUDY - Maybe

So far i`m pretty underwhelmed by the responce, :(

put me down for the 9000-q. I guess its due to the recession hitting, people are watching what they spend on. At the end of the day i'm sure he would rather move some some winches but at what price im not sure.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

madmike
Driver/Navigator

Postby madmike » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Only 5 confirmed so far... an chance of getting a few more people?? :)

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:56 am

Come on guys,

The majority of you lot go on about how a winch is the biggest and best improvement you could make to a 4wd,and what it is worth to your personal safety, and then when a supplier comes along and offers us a damn good deal (and it is, try and beat it for the same spec'ed model any where else!) and you all go quiet.

You want to play with 4wds, or any motor sport at all, and you have to spend money. It is a fact.

So come on, hands in pockets (only to get your cash out) and pick up on the generosity of a local supplier.

Rant over!

tpft
Hard Yaka

Postby tpft » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 am

pretty silly rant, thease winches been out for a while now, u can,t expect the same response as last time
a lot of people have got winches by now, plus u add a bit of bad feedback on a few niggling promblems (some installation some not) and people go shy

everyone here has a computer, and access to trade me what do u expect?

as for spending money, this week between 2 4x4,s and a jet boat i,ve blown over a grand without really trying.

williamhamilton
Hard Yaka

Postby williamhamilton » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 am

[quote="madmike"] Only 5 confirmed so far... an chance of getting a few more people?? :) [/quote]

Prices look good but my shed account needs a topup to pay for one still. Funds tied up in a 2nd FJ40 for the moment. Sorry guys.. If anyone has nice shed fund topup activities for me let me know :)

W

wisard2
Hard Yaka

Postby wisard2 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am

rokhound wrote:Come on guys,

The majority of you lot go on about how a winch is the biggest and best improvement you could make to a 4wd,and what it is worth to your personal safety, and then when a supplier comes along and offers us a damn good deal (and it is, try and beat it for the same spec'ed model any where else!) and you all go quiet.

You want to play with 4wds, or any motor sport at all, and you have to spend money. It is a fact.

So come on, hands in pockets (only to get your cash out) and pick up on the generosity of a local supplier.

Rant over!

Unfortunately, not everyone can shove their hand in their pocket at just anytime, and come up with that sort of spare cash. I do want to upgrade my winch, but it will have to be when I can afford it, not just when a couple of people shout "give us a good deal and we will buy".

At this particular time, I do not have available, that sort of "spare" cash.
92 swb Pajero ute. 3 litre V6 manual. 33" Mud wranglers, Diff breathers, Snorkle, 9500lbs electric winch, Rear diff lock, CB & PRS radio's.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:39 pm

williamhamilton wrote:
madmike wrote:Only 5 confirmed so far... an chance of getting a few more people?? :)

Prices look good but my shed account needs a topup to pay for one still. Funds tied up in a 2nd FJ40 for the moment. Sorry guys.. If anyone has nice shed fund topup activities for me let me know :)

W

Thats no excuse!!!!!!

I offered you good $$$ for that front diff outa your parts truck ;)

Sell me that, and you nearly there with a winch!!!!!!!

:) :) :) Pete 8) 8) 8)
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm

Rant over!

lol. do you reckon these people already have winches? I'm betting they do. lol. how many do you have? more than one?
phone Ross Bolus (secretary of the BOP club) He'll save you.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:39 pm

flyingbrick wrote:

Rant over!

lol. do you reckon these people already have winches? I'm betting they do. lol. how many do you have? more than one?

I have 2 winches and currently have 7 four wheel drives. But that is not the deal here is it? I personally have not had a winch on my "proper 4wd" for 5 yrs. In a recent thread it was asked what people should purchase first, a winch or traction aids? My answer then, and still is, that bragging rights go to the guy who can drive obsticles, not piss around and winch through all day.
But if you are a solo traveler, a winch is a life line to self recovery.
And after 20 years involved with 4wding ( and starting at the beginning I might add), I find that the ones who waffle on about "A winch is the most important thing I can fit", are invariably the one's who don't have them!
If you have the same amount of time and/or passion invested in 4wding as I do (and there are plenty of people out there who have an enormous amount more time at our sport than I do), feel free to comment.

But I would like to say A massive up's to Mike, who has now given ORE members the chance to purchase a reasonably priced electric winch, with good specs and very good back up service, at a good discount.

As I said, if you want to play in any form of motor sport, you need to pony up, if you don't have the coin to play, then don't.
But don't be offended by my comments.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 pm

Just because some people have the opinion they think a winch is preferable to traction aids, doesn't mean they have the money to buy one, and these people will no doubt purchase a winch when money allows BEFORE a diff lock.

If someone offered a group buy on difflocks, would that mean everyone who thought these were better option over a winch, should automatically buy one?

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Actually. I am offended by your comments.

How much coin do you think is needed to "play"?

Its your opinion that because i don't have money to waste on a second winch I'm not allowed to be in the sport? Piss off.

I'm a novice here. I have SFA off roading experience- I've been out on a total of four "real" trips since bying my truck in november (i think!) of last year. So no.. I don't have the same amount of time invested in the sport as you do (i'd have to have started at the age of 4 for that to happen). But what the f**k does that matter. We are all allowed to have a passion for this sport REGARDLESS of how much money any of us have.

You have 2 winches, 7 four wheel drives and have been in the sport for 20 years. I could not care less.

I still think you are a dick.

-Nathan

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:07 pm

flyingbrick wrote:Actually. I am offended by your comments.

Its your opinion that because i don't have money to waste on a second winch I'm not allowed to be in the sport? Piss off.

I'm a novice here. I have SFA off roading experience- I've been out on a total of four "real" trips since bying my truck in november (i think!) of last year. So no.. I don't have the same amount of time invested in the sport as you do (i'd have to have started at the age of 4 for that to happen). But what the f**k does that matter. We are all allowed to have a passion for this sport REGARDLESS of how much money any of us have.

You have 2 winches, 7 four wheel drives and have been in the sport for 20 years. I could not care less.

-Nathan

Relax mate

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:35 pm

Thought Sadam was claiming to be a novice, and getting wound up, but its because the quotes aren't working and I scrolled too far. It looked like the post started with "I'm a novice here" LOL

wopass
Hard Yaka

Postby wopass » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 pm

rokhound wrote:I have 2 winches and currently have 7 four wheel drives. But that is not the deal here is it? I personally have not had a winch on my "proper 4wd" for 5 yrs. In a recent thread it was asked what people should purchase first, a winch or traction aids? My answer then, and still is, that bragging rights go to the guy who can drive obsticles, not piss around and winch through all day.
And after 20 years involved with 4wding ( and starting at the beginning I might add), I find that the ones who waffle on about "A winch is the most important thing I can fit", are invariably the one's who don't have them!
If you have the same amount of time and/or passion invested in 4wding as I do (and there are plenty of people out there who have an enormous amount more time at our sport than I do), feel free to comment.

But I would like to say A massive up's to Mike, who has now given ORE members the chance to purchase a reasonably priced electric winch, with good specs and very good back up service, at a good discount.

As I said, if you want to play in any form of motor sport, you need to pony up, if you don't have the coin to play, then don't.

i gotta say rok , that was a bit off. if someone was wanting to come on a trip with me who thought they were the ducks nuts at driving and had all the lockers and no winch i would tell them to fark off and when they need recovering it will cost them lotsa beers!! but if they were a newb and it was a play day then no worries, ill tow them round all day

so in sumary, if you can afford it, do it. if you cant then save your pennys then do it. if you have your dik in your hand then your just a nob, Lol

no im not calling anyone a nob !!!... well maybe me, cos i am LMAO!

times are tough at the moment roc, not many people are gonna be splashing money round like they did a while ago, especialy people who are only starting out ie:needing a winch.
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

J_Dub
Hard Yaka

Postby J_Dub » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 pm

thats exactly where i stand, im never afraid to spend a bita coin, especially on my toys, buy now, pay off later is how i usually work, thats what credit cards are for, but as my working future is uncertain i cant splash out at the mo, to me $800 on a winch is s.f.a for the benefits you get, and i would have normally put my name down right away.
pharkin sucks right now

downunderxj
Hard Yaka

Postby downunderxj » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:37 pm

The big issue here is trying to get the 15 people necessary to get the 20% discount. Most other deals I have heard of in various 4wd clubs is that a firm offers a discount to club members independent of how many buy at any one time.

With the continuing increase in new people joining ORE why not stick to a set discount, you will make the money still on selling one winch, better than not selling any winches because the require number of people don't front up. The more winches sold, the more people will talk and so on.

I am sure that over the next six months or so you will sell 15 winches, but with the current times, job uncertainties etc it looks like it is going to be hard to get a group buy pulled together.

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:02 am

flyingbrick wrote:Actually. I am offended by your comments.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,

He's not a dick, I can vouch for him. One think you'll learn is that the forums make people out to be dicks but they really arnt. Its only differing view points and when in reality and in person is just a normal conversation, the forums allow us to take it differently. Rok is actually one of those good #####, so while his comments may seem harsh thats just how is but in person it comes across SOOoooo different. As I've talked to him a little bit I read his post how I know him but I can see how it could come across the way you interpreted it. So please just take posts with a grain of salt in future :mrgreen:

cheers

mike
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:24 am

mike wrote: One think you'll learn is that the forums make people out to be dicks but they really arnt. Its only differing view points and when in reality and in person is just a normal conversation, the forums allow us to take it differently.

So please just take posts with a grain of salt in future :mrgreen:

cheers

mike

Skids agrees, and he is a man vastly experienced in letting his fingers type away and write things that have been taken the wrong way and also writing things in the heat of the moment and getting them turned into momentus cock ups and causing the site to be shut down and having folks around the country hate him with a vengeance.

It may not always happen , but I am trying my best to rectify it, but I have lately, seen a post and rapidly wrote a reply in the heat of the moment and then as a rule of thumb, I always hit the preview button and read it back to myself. A lot of the time I delete it and don't even bother with a reply, its just not worth the grief it will cause.

The main thing with forums as I have found out, is that you will jump up and down and call someone a dick and next thing you know he has 20 mates backing him up and writing nasty posts in reply and all of a sudden you become the second most hated person in the country behind aunty helen. Its hard to pull yourself back from something like that, especially when all the posts you write afterward are attacked by the dicks mates.

Spend some time searching around the forum and you will find a few things to read where folks have turned nasty. ( I can PM some to you if you like)

Its been said before , that the forum is an awesome tool for your benefit, and there are also those of us who have no life and spend a lot of time in the off topic section posting away, but I see a happy medium and it should be around for a long time.

Enjoy the site Nathan and remember to think and preview before submitting dude.

I have enjoyed reading some of your posts and it would be a shame to lose your wit (get better work stories).

As Mike said, just remember that everyone is different and comes across different, so its a matter of remaining calm trying to see thier point of view and politely telling them how you feel. When talking to someone in person you can see thier reactions and expressions and adjust your style, but on forums a computer screen doesn't show emotions etc.

BACK ON TOPIC

Yes Rok may have been a bit harsh in his words, but as he said, hes been around for a while and hes seen this stuff on here before, when a vendor is trying to help out at the users requests and then they get no support.
Its like organising a trip into the bush that everyone has been asking about for ages and then having 1 truck turn up on the day.
It would piss you off immensely.

So what hes trying to say is that the vendor has gone out of his way to offer a deal that a few people wanted and nobody else is supporting it.
It could cause the vendor to walk away and never offer thier products again.
Everyone has come back and offered thier reasons and that should be the end of that.

Read the reasons however they may be written and take that grain or two of salt, down a whisky to clam yourself and move on to the next thread.

Shite, I can't believe I just wrote all of that. I nearly deleted it all when I previewed it, but amazingly I left it.
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 am

Thanks Mike, big hugs :)

Skiddy you are 100% on the money with your comments re the vendors.

I have been sent a PM from Mike (supplier) and he is honoring his discount offer even though the numbers were not up to the amount stipulated. This a good thing and I appreciate his support (as I am sure do others).

Hard case the way this outfit works isn't it? I never thought I would get into a slanging match where I would be supporting a winch debate LOL.

Ben, I also agree with what you said, and you guys up north where there is a very strong competition base are basically the ones who will nurture newbies into the 4wd scene, and teach them how to do it all responsibly.In the south island we have pretty much only the club scene which is good, but they don't have the public awareness that the comps do.
As I have always stated, your truck needs to grow with your experience, and trust me when I say you will learn to take different lines and drive obsticles with more care if you know there is hard graft (in the form of shovels and hi-lifts) involved to get you out of you cock it up.

vvega
Hard Yaka

Postby vvega » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 am

rokhound wrote:Thanks Mike, big hugs :)

Skiddy you are 100% on the money with your comments re the vendors.

I have been sent a PM from Mike (supplier) and he is honoring his discount offer even though the numbers were not up to the amount stipulated. This a good thing and I appreciate his support (as I am sure do others).

Hard case the way this outfit works isn't it? I never thought I would get into a slanging match where I would be supporting a winch debate LOL.

Ben, I also agree with what you said, and you guys up north where there is a very strong competition base are basically the ones who will nurture newbies into the 4wd scene, and teach them how to do it all responsibly.In the south island we have pretty much only the club scene which is good, but they don't have the public awareness that the comps do.
As I have always stated, your truck needs to grow with your experience, and trust me when I say you will learn to take different lines and drive obsticles with more care if you know there is hard graft (in the form of shovels and hi-lifts) involved to get you out of you cock it up.

agreed ben,pete and sarah are teaching me 4wding .. but for them i wouldnt have a truck like i do ATM .. (lots has been done on there advice) .. just wish i was as capable as my truck is/can be :D
Kiwi4x4

Windsock
Hard Yaka

Postby Windsock » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:16 am

rokhound wrote: As I have always stated, your truck needs to grow with your experience, and trust me when I say you will learn to take different lines and drive obsticles with more care if you know there is hard graft (in the form of shovels and hi-lifts) involved to get you out of you cock it up.

Agreed fully with this. In the old days (pre affordable winch) it was an apprenticeship of sorts to get stuck and have to dig/lift yourself out. You certainly thought twice about just going hammer and tongs into a swamp or hole. Nowadays, winches are cheaper and considered normal almost in this environment it is easy to understand that driving attitudes can change accordingly.
~ Good roads lead to bad fishing. ~ Eric Wight, Maine Game Warden ~

flyingbrick
Hard Yaka

Postby flyingbrick » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:04 am

I sorry :-(

*Hugs rok*

-Nathan

williamhamilton
Hard Yaka

Postby williamhamilton » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:45 am

skid wrote:
mike wrote: One think you'll learn is that the forums make people out to be dicks but they really arnt. Its only differing view points and when in reality and in person is just a normal conversation, the forums allow us to take it differently.

So please just take posts with a grain of salt in future :mrgreen:

cheers

mike

Skids agrees, if people took most of my posts seriously there would be a massive shit fight every day and I would already be kicked off this wonderful (and ever improving) site. It is bad enough that the decisions I need to make are based on sitting on my hand for half an hour or .... wait, that would be, which hand to sit on for half an hour.. ok you get the idea.

bla bla blah blah blah

Fixed it for you Skidy :)

W

tomypoulsentsol
Stropper

Postby tomypoulsentsol » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 am

keen price will make up my mind?

haynzy
Hard Yaka

Postby haynzy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:52 am

rokhound wrote:I have 2 winches and currently have 7 four wheel drives. But that is not the deal here is it? I personally have not had a winch on my "proper 4wd" for 5 yrs. In a recent thread it was asked what people should purchase first, a winch or traction aids? My answer then, and still is, that bragging rights go to the guy who can drive obsticles, not piss around and winch through all day.

Not taking offence as I totally agree with the pony up comments but if tracion aids tyres and suspension were the be all and end all why would a highly modified truck on here with twin difflocks massive suspension travel and 40's need to add a winch to the mix for a recent trip that was done just to get through, I have had so many people state to me "this truck has never been stuck" and my responce is always the same " you havent taken it to its limits yet then" Personally my rear lokka was the best mod I have done but I also recognise the fact that with the traction aids and big tyres Im still goin nowhere when all 4 wheels are off the ground.
My 2 c
swb lux with 7mge, trailgear crossover, trailgear rear lift kit, custom front bar, runva 1200lb winch, custom snorkel, 37" Mtrs, custom deck, lockright in the rear.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:13 pm

haynzy wrote:Not taking offence as I totally agree with the pony up comments but if tracion aids tyres and suspension were the be all and end all why would a highly modified truck on here with twin difflocks massive suspension travel and 40's need to add a winch to the mix for a recent trip that was done just to get through, I have had so many people state to me "this truck has never been stuck" and my responce is always the same " you havent taken it to its limits yet then" Personally my rear lokka was the best mod I have done but I also recognise the fact that with the traction aids and big tyres Im still goin nowhere when all 4 wheels are off the ground.
My 2 c

I wouldn't say that traction and suspension is the be all and end all. What i said is that is what I would do that first. You would have to be very brave or bloody stupid to say you will never get stuck. But as I said earlier, if you know there is some hard work involved in getting yourself out, it makes you appreciate taking the right lines even more.
And this is true of any 4wd, weather a fire breathing bitch, or a shiny. I can even attest to it in real world practice. 4 weeks or so ago I took my 95 series Prado up Worsleys Road. It's on 33's, IFS, not a lot of articulation and no traction aids. I had to drive 3 or so different lines at a couple of spots and still caught some good air with the front wheels. The Mutt just idles up that track in 2wd, mainly because it does not break traction. But when I first put the 39.5" swampers on the Mutt, we headed out for a mud play. I climbed into one hole and ended up totally stuck to 1/2 way up the doors in the first 10 feet. It took some serious winching to get it out as well (eh H20).
So yes, you are exactly right, If the wheels aren't touching the ground, it doesn't matter a shit what sort of set up you have, you are not moving under your own steam.

Oh and ask Jafa (I assume this the rig you are talking about) how well the Jalopy goes when the wheels are facing up in the air, it has done that a few times :):):):)
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:00 pm

Typical, good thread turns into a shit fight. Well went into lake daniels, conquered thompsons flat, never used the winch. Must have been the diff locks silverstones and suspension. The two times I had a rope on me I bit off very deep mudholes I had no chance of getting through, but I had to have a go.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

suzolla
Hard Yaka

Postby suzolla » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi Mike,
Is the offer still open as I could be keen on the EWX 9500-Q.
Thanks
Tim

Return to “Winches, Accessories, Tools and Supplies”