New forum tech category

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

New forum tech category

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:22 pm

we need a new catagory setup that dosent show up in the "view new posts" for all the noob's or uneducated people or people that dont know about google to post all their queries about what sort of indercator bulb does my truck take or how much oil does my engine hold or where to I stick the oil in or what sort of oil do you stick in or whats a 1kz error code 42 mean or basic everyday shit thats had 10 million threads done about it all documented step by step on here or elsewhere on the net

I've got no problem with genuine queries and passing on my 2c of advice and knowledge and reading everyone elses experiences but theres a big trend lately for people to post up dumb common knowledge shit like the above that takes 2 seconds to find the answers for and clutters all the threads for the people that have genuine problems there trying to find answers for or have usefull tech information to discuss and share :?

Filthy4x4
Hard Yaka

Re: New forum tech category

Postby Filthy4x4 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah I agree
027 MUD GEAR - (027 683 4327)

Check our facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Filthy4x4

http://www.facebook.com/Filthymotorsportnz

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:29 pm

i agree also

Seems to be the same 6 or so people all the time - or does it just seem that way to me?
Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:52 pm

But Marty, its soo much easier to ask you three times about how much fluid my heap of shit will hold than google it.

Who will we pick on if their posts dont show up? Poor Jerry??
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

Sadam_Husain
Angry bird

Postby Sadam_Husain » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:01 pm

callum007 wrote:
Who will we pick on if their posts dont show up? Poor Jerry??

oh no poor old jerry :shock: :shock: :lol:

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I thought we had a section for vehicle specific info giving oil types/quantities and all the common info that most people are after? Been a while since seeing it, but I'm sure DB had something started when he had the Safari, and info was just added?

jonossiksilvia
Hard Yaka

Postby jonossiksilvia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Current 4wd: Surf Kzn185 ssrg factory Intercooled (yet to start build)
Past 4wd: toyota surf ln130, coil sas, 1uz v8 build

Hamz
Hard Yaka

Postby Hamz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 pm

haha This should be on its own thread with the title, "New Members"

jonossiksilvia wrote:just only use this

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/ ... m.php?f=88

:twisted: :twisted:

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm

sounds like a great idea ,ooh what does error code 42 mean :lol:
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

Nigel Bannan
Bush Crasher

Postby Nigel Bannan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm

They got to start somewhere, but saying that I like the "where we going this week" post.Mostly getting somewhere and thinking how we getting out of here? Nig

Tarmac
Hard Yaka

Postby Tarmac » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm

possibly include how much oil otto needs in his box??

I love sierra and vit bibles found on other forums that list common specs and fiddle bits.... also muppets cannot add to (not quite a mop - not quite a puppet - but damm their funny) ie only mods etc can edit
'Drift Spec'... The new "Half Assed"

the quadfather
Bush Crasher

Postby the quadfather » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Although I would obviously be unable to said category, I completely agree with you as it would appear that there are a select few who feel obliged/obligated to answer all these stupid, repetetive questions from people who don't know how to use google or a search button. Sorry, just my 2 cents

Rotazuk
Hard Yaka

Postby Rotazuk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

In all seriousness

Some other forum I watch , can't remember but may be an ausie zuk forum , has a section for Noob posts . Ie newbie's can ask questions in there and there is no flaming allowed . This works two fold , new guys can ask questions and not get the shit flicked at them and season members can ignore the thread if need be .
If there was a section like this and a post was made somewhere else a mod could just move it there is need be .

Maybe new or difficult people can only post new threads in this forum until they have a track history .

Cheers
Chris

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:56 am

so im looking at buying a 4wd around $5017, an want opinions
drinking hatorgade

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 am

Rotazuk wrote:In all seriousness

Some other forum I watch , can't remember but may be an ausie zuk forum , has a section for Noob posts . Ie newbie's can ask questions in there and there is no flaming allowed . This works two fold , new guys can ask questions and not get the shit flicked at them and season members can ignore the thread if need be .
If there was a section like this and a post was made somewhere else a mod could just move it there is need be .

Maybe new or difficult people can only post new threads in this forum until they have a track history .

Cheers
Chris

I like this idea....
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 am

A Noob section with no flaming allowed is a great idea and works well .

A "good tech" section would be great as well . Generally you are not allowed to post new topics in "good tech" . Mods relocate good threads there so people looking for tech have a place to look first and can find the info easy .
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

Tarmac
Hard Yaka

Postby Tarmac » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

^^ this is good, the only downfall with the "good tec" I am thinking of is its a little mumbled, I like the "bibles" on another forum that break it down into specs, eng, diff, trans, suspension etc... swaps/ tweaks etc and "extra tec at the bottom. I am sure most will have seen them before :P
'Drift Spec'... The new "Half Assed"

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:27 am

Something like the Outerlimits version perhaps? Just add to it when RELEVANT info comes to hand?
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic ... 5&t=101692

meatc
Hard Yaka

Postby meatc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:32 pm

How bout for a tech section only the author of the thread can post. that way you can have a build thread that doesn't end up full off unrequired / unwanted comments junking it up.

If you ask a question do it in an open thread, and dont cry when the odd "know it all" (but actually knows nothing) post some random crap.

OR

Allow the thread owner to edit out posts. Not edit the post but the abilty to delete the post that is junking up the thread, helps the Mods out and would keep the tech threads on topic.
Toy - Zuk chassis tub, hilux 4.88 axles and transfer, Nissan CA18DE motor and auto trans, sc12 supercharger, 32 10'5 simex, twin motor 8274 custom freespool. Well the parts are all there in various corners of the shed

Heath
Hard Yaka

Postby Heath » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm

meatc wrote:Allow the thread owner to edit out posts. Not edit the post but the abilty to delete the post that is junking up the thread, helps the Mods out and would keep the tech threads on topic.

Might work, but not sure of the setup required. May require a pile of work from the Supermod (Mike) to set up each thread so could be a bit much to ask for.

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Heath wrote:
meatc wrote:Allow the thread owner to edit out posts. Not edit the post but the abilty to delete the post that is junking up the thread, helps the Mods out and would keep the tech threads on topic.

Might work, but not sure of the setup required. May require a pile of work from the Supermod (Mike) to set up each thread so could be a bit much to ask for.

Nah should just be a permissions thing, but I've been known to be wrong =D
You'd just create a new user group with certain abilities then add users to it. Would probably just want to make it a supporter thing.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Taz wrote:
Heath wrote:

Nah should just be a permissions thing, but I've been known to be wrong =D
You'd just create a new user group with certain abilities then add users to it. Would probably just want to make it a supporter thing.

If its a bit of work, limit to supporters only. It might work as an incentive for people to pay for the privilege.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 pm

phraza wrote:
Rotazuk wrote:In all seriousness

Cheers
Chris

I like this idea....

+1 from me too.

also something to add to the ideas, how about a section that contains vehicle specific info that list oil volume, dimensions, power etc, people with more info just PM's the OP to edit in?

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm

A lot of good ideas coming through guys. If you like it +1 (another good idea the +1'ing) and I'll get it sorted.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Dirtydog wrote:+1 from me too.

also something to add to the ideas, how about a section that contains vehicle specific info that list oil volume, dimensions, power etc, people with more info just PM's the OP to edit in?

A couple of other forums I follow have sticky threads that stay at the top of the list always. These are full of model specific items such as above plus a list of common repairs or linnks to externally hosted FAQs. Have a look at www.jeepforum.com for the implementation of this.

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Another one is to require a member to fully fill in their profiles with vehicle information. I can give you more details later. What it means is that when someone asks a question, psrson replying instantly knows which make, model, engine, gearbox, etc it relates to. Saves thd frustration around what vehicle the question is about.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:59 pm

TJ wrote:Another one is to require a member to fully fill in their profiles with vehicle information. I can give you more details later. What it means is that when someone asks a question, psrson replying instantly knows which make, model, engine, gearbox, etc it relates to. Saves thd frustration around what vehicle the question is about.

that would definitly save alot of time etc and people posting info that is void for that type of vehicle.

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:46 pm

TJ wrote:Another one is to require a member to fully fill in their profiles with vehicle information. I can give you more details later. What it means is that when someone asks a question, psrson replying instantly knows which make, model, engine, gearbox, etc it relates to. Saves thd frustration around what vehicle the question is about.

+1

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm

+1 for supporters only
If you break it... build it stronger.

The WEHI
Hard Yaka

Postby The WEHI » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:24 am

kbjj wrote:

+1 for supporters only

+1
The_wehi@hotmail.com
(027 788 1046)
pzj70,35's,Lockers,Winch and some stickers for added flex.
^^Soon to be on safari axles and 5.13's, 37's linked front and rear^^
Ln60 project (money pit) <-- Sold
Pzj77 Turbo/auto,33's .

Return to “Feedback”