New Software/Layout

MihiT
Hard Yaka

New Software/Layout

Postby MihiT » Mon May 23, 2016 10:43 am

Ew.
Not all of us have touchscreens, and not all of us have fast internet, wasting it loading banners and eye candy is REALLY not appreciated.
And I suppose there's no option for me to revert to the old?
- 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
- 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
1989 LWB 5-Seat parts hack. TD42

TJ
Hard Yaka

Re: New Software/Layout

Postby TJ » Mon May 23, 2016 11:20 am

Is there a mobile optimized view available? Not all of use desktops.
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon May 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Those banners should only be download once and then be cached on your browser, along with all the other images of the site/theme. Unless you are browsing via private browsing then you will be downloading them with every session. I can't go back to the old one because it won't run on this server, is for the older version of the software (which runs on the older server)

This theme is mobile friendly but not mobile optimised. (smaller banner image sizes) but again as long as you are visiting frequently and not clearing your cache then you should only be getting the new content and not the flash stuff every page load.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Mon May 23, 2016 1:21 pm

I have the opposite that it is only using half my 17" screen - looks like it is 90% aimed at phablets.

drinking hatorgade

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Mon May 23, 2016 3:14 pm

mike wrote:Those banners should only be download once and then be cached on your browser, along with all the other images of the site/theme. Unless you are browsing via private browsing then you will be downloading them with every session. I can't go back to the old one because it won't run on this server, is for the older version of the software (which runs on the older server)

This theme is mobile friendly but not mobile optimised. (smaller banner image sizes) but again as long as you are visiting frequently and not clearing your cache then you should only be getting the new content and not the flash stuff every page load.

With respect, once is too many times for data that I don't want. I've just added it to my content blocker, but cripes knows what else that's going to affect.
I also die a little on the inside every time I see windows 10/mobile style "tiles" and newfangled, unnecessary web elements. Such is life.

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 pm

I kinda like the Dark / Black-Red theme...

but the banner detracts from the information being presented.
it forces the user to scroll and draws the eye away from the content.
Also, landing on a bright busy image, and then following on to reading low contrast text feel a little awkward

Content is king, style come second.

Food for thought...

Disable the banner on mobile only...?
http://mobiledetect.net/

(And also disable "jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js" on mobile)

or

Disable the banner on all but the home page.
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon May 23, 2016 3:34 pm

MihiT wrote:
mike wrote:Those banners should only be download once and then be cached on your browser, along with all the other images of the site/theme. Unless you are browsing via private browsing then you will be downloading them with every session. I can't go back to the old one because it won't run on this server, is for the older version of the software (which runs on the older server)

With respect, once is too many times for data that I don't want. I've just added it to my content blocker, but cripes knows what else that's going to affect.
I also die a little on the inside every time I see windows 10/mobile style "tiles" and newfangled, unnecessary web elements. Such is life.

I also die a little when people don't understand the work that can go into keeping a site like this online, hack free, spam free, up to date and somewhat mobile friendly plus looking good. I didn't build this theme, nor design it, I just liked the colours, modified it a little and also the fact that it runs on the latest software means it will take it through the next 5 years before the site becomes at risk to hackers and spammers again. I just spent 2 days upgrading this site (server move, core software update and lots of testing) and you block the images that will load once because the first time it loads it might takes 1 min. You are going to hate it when I put the 50,000 images and gigs of videos back up this year, your content blocker is going to go nuts, infact I think I might have to use ORE's own blocker and block your account so you don't get any unwanted content.
1994 Toyota Surf

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon May 23, 2016 3:38 pm

00falcon wrote:I kinda like the Dark / Black-Red theme...

but the banner detracts from the information being presented.
it forces the user to scroll and draws the eye away from the content.
Also, landing on a bright busy image, and then following on to reading low contrast text feel a little awkward

Content is king, style come second.

Food for thought...

Disable the banner on mobile only...?
http://mobiledetect.net/

(And also disable "jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js" on mobile)

or

Disable the banner on all but the home page.

I've disabled the banner for all pages except home page. See how that goes.
1994 Toyota Surf

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Gee what a bunch of wingers. This site is run for free by Mike and it is done is his own time so just shut up and put up. Its his site, I couldn't give a shit how he runs it as its his site! I have been here since very early days and seen plenty of changes, tell him about actual glitches yes, but keep the gripes to yourself.

Keep it up Mike, Glen.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Mon May 23, 2016 4:21 pm

NJV6 wrote:Gee what a bunch of wingers. This site is run for free by Mike and it is done is his own time so just shut up and put up. Its his site, I couldn't give a shit how he runs it as its his site! I have been here since very early days and seen plenty of changes, tell him about actual glitches yes, but keep the gripes to yourself.

Keep it up Mike, Glen.

I whole heatedly agree.
It takes Time / Effort / and a willingness to work on your days off to keep something like this going strong.

I was in two minds about giving my two cents...

but i did, in a vein attempt to help.

the better the site, the stronger the community.
Dont you agree...?

I mean, why even put effort in to a site, unless you want it to prosper... ;)

I like the site, and fully respect the effort involved.
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon May 23, 2016 5:43 pm

X3 Mike it peps want to continue running old stuff at snails plc then so be it. Change nothing as its awesome banners included.
Leep up the good work 8)

Oh when ate you going to sort out the paid memberships like you had a few years back? Will help in the running expenses surely?

TJ
Hard Yaka

Postby TJ » Mon May 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Looks like my days here are numbered. .. I ask a simple question about new site being mobile optimized and I am called a whinger and to expect whatever is given to me without a peep. Heck, even Moses had tablets! It's nothing new in this age.

I used to be a paid supporter, and signed up in 2006. But I guess it's Mike site and we should just be glad it exists.

Good luck to everyone. How do you delete an account and remove posts?
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L Auto D44/D44

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Mon May 23, 2016 8:02 pm

TJ wrote:Looks like my days here are numbered. .. I ask a simple question about new site being mobile optimized and I am called a whinger and to expect whatever is given to me without a peep. Heck, even Moses had tablets! It's nothing new in this age.

I used to be a paid supporter, and signed up in 2006. But I guess it's Mike site and we should just be glad it exists.

Good luck to everyone. How do you delete an account and remove posts?

This theme should be highly optimised for a tablet, but I wouldnt know as I dont have one, it works fine on phones so tablets should be awesome. Plus I don't think NJV6 was talking about your questions.

I upgraded the site so it will work on modern servers, with modern software that plugs holes so hackers won't get in and works across 99% of all devices and internet connections. It's very hard to meet the needs of the few, that is where most of the time would be spent. Time I don't have at the moment. The site has had registrations turned off for over 3-4 months due to spammers registering 200 spam accounts every few days. Hell I deleted 4000 accounts after the upgrade. I couldnt upgrade the spam software because the site was out of date, I couldnt update the site because the server would not run the new site. It's not mikes site per say, it's all of ours, just somebody has to maintain it and I guess pay for it. I'm paying $60US per month for the server and I run two sites off it. So nearly 100NZ a month or 25/week , just short of $1200/year, plus the time I spend on the sites. In the case of ORE that has been a bit lacking but I only have x amount of spare time to devote to life and I do want to get out wheeling once and a while. So when someone says ew and complains they can't access the old site and only has been a member of the community for the last year and not the 12-13 years before, sure I get my back up. But TJ you have no reason to quit the site, if you go, I go.
1994 Toyota Surf

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 pm

I like it, every new incarnation of ORE (and there's been a few over the years) is new and intriguing.

This one is cool, and only a true enthusiast (4x4 & IT) would donate this much of their free time to shagging around with a site like this :D :D

Where do I find the "view active topics" button??

Pete :D :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

00falcon
Hard Yaka

Postby 00falcon » Mon May 23, 2016 8:50 pm

DieselBoy wrote:
Where do I find the "view active topics" button??

Bookmark this...

http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/search.php?search_id=active_topics
O[][][][][][][]O
Eat, Sleep, Jeep...
-------------------
www.nzjeepclub.co.nz

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Mon May 23, 2016 9:22 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Where do I find the "view active topics" button??

Click on the forum button top right corner, Active topics is in drop down menu

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 pm

and just to add a little bit more to all this,

i thought it was good on the mobile phone but its even better on the pc :twisted:

very sharp and fast.

cheers Mike

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm

mike wrote:Plus I don't think NJV6 was talking about your questions.

Correct Mike and I PM'd him saying that.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

keithal
Hard Yaka

Postby keithal » Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 pm

loving the new layout so far
seems to be quicker and just as easy to use and if its slows the spammers down then even better

definitely keen for paid members to be back up and running to help fund the site

cheers for all the hard work mike

Alex

kiwipete
Hard Yaka

Postby kiwipete » Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 am

I'm liking this new layout too, will be trying it out on the tablet and phone later today.
Ok people, move along. Nothing to see here. Thank you, move along.
Ph 0212078472

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 pm

Well, that escalated quickly!
There are cheaper hosting options, and I am familiar with debian/nginx/apache, I am more than happy to contribute a bit to this site if you want to discuss that, as there's a lot of good (clever) buggers here and I think it's a great resource.

Still, I also support anybrowser, and backwards compatibility, and hate with a passion the dumbing-down of computing, and sloppy code (not an accusation here, just a statement)

Thematically, the site's better (dark colours not a glowing white background) but objects that dont render in old browsers, the scaling which someone else pointed out, and the tiles.. Ew.

As a final, Mr Stent, I do appreciate the time, money and effort you put into it. So thank you.

MihiT
Hard Yaka

Postby MihiT » Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 pm

mudlva wrote:X3 Mike it peps want to continue running old stuff at snails plc then so be it. Change nothing as its awesome banners included.
Leep up the good work 8)

it's not a matter of wanting to, if i could have (/afford!) fibre to the door then i would.

But it wouldnt make me any happier about tiles/banners that take up 1/3 of my screen real estate...

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 pm

MihiT wrote:
mudlva wrote:X3 Mike it peps want to continue running old stuff at snails plc then so be it. Change nothing as its awesome banners included.
Leep up the good work 8)

it's not a matter of wanting to, if i could have (/afford!) fibre to the door then i would.

But it wouldnt make me any happier about tiles/banners that take up 1/3 of my screen real estate...

I happen to like the tiles but hate it for an os ie win8 and ten. I didnt design the theme and have to admit designers seem to waste a lot of space in headers etc. I usually wipe out a lot of that space once it gets into my hands. I havnt done this yet as the forums will be wrapped in the main site later in the year and all will be modified to suit then.

As for the hosting. It will reduce to $40/month once I retire the old server, which should be soon. I use linode VM's which are one of the cheapest for what you get (100gigs of SSD space, 4 gigs of ram, 4cpu's) , ore needs quite a lot of that hd space with its vids and photos). I built a yachting community site which also runs the same server and at the moment that pays for everything as that has donations set up, although that community is donation crazy with some donating yachts contributing $300/year, of which I only get 40% but that is more than covering the cost of whole server. So ORE is getting a free ride at the moment, but uses 70% of the server resources (prob 95% more traffic not that that matters much but hd space does). So yeah with the other community, I built chrome, android and IOS apps to support it, email integration for boats that communicate via sat or ssb slow connections, weather scrapping features and satellite image retrieval - all for a community site like ORE but for yachts. They have a lot of value in that site hence why they donate. ORE is back to just forums for now, so while that is valuable to some, it's not to me. I like looking at pictures and videos of 4wding, not reading about it. When ORE starts impacting on the other site then I'll upgrade the server and then some form of help from members would be appreciated. Until then as you all were.
1994 Toyota Surf

mumbls
Hard Yaka

Postby mumbls » Tue May 24, 2016 2:37 pm

mike wrote:
I also die a little when people don't understand the work that can go into keeping a site like this online, ... infact I think I might have to use ORE's own blocker and block your account so you don't get any unwanted content.

Hi Mike - with appreciation of your ongoing efforts - and without going down the second route suggested-
Is there anyway to modify how much of a page gets taken up on a PC? Ie get the page to take up the whole page rather than the middle section - From a semi illiterate computer user - not asking you to redesign the matrix. I have no idea what is involved, Thanks
drinking hatorgade

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm

mumbls wrote:
mike wrote:
I also die a little when people don't understand the work that can go into keeping a site like this online, ... infact I think I might have to use ORE's own blocker and block your account so you don't get any unwanted content.

Hi Mike - with appreciation of your ongoing efforts - and without going down the second route suggested-
Is there anyway to modify how much of a page gets taken up on a PC? Ie get the page to take up the whole page rather than the middle section - From a semi illiterate computer user - not asking you to redesign the matrix. I have no idea what is involved, Thanks

what resolution are you running on your monitor? It's most likely 1920x1080 . The theme is probably limited to 1200 or so which is good for most laptops. I'll have play and see what I can get it out to easily. Hopefully should be as simple as changing a value or three.
1994 Toyota Surf

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:50 pm

i like it.

drop down from 'forum' box on any page is handy, especially having moved house and on dial up :x :( until broadband gets sorted :) .

ORE is way quicker on dial up than any other website we use, TM weather banking etc.

keep up the good work Mike, its appreciated.
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

sketch
Bush Crasher

Postby sketch » Wed May 25, 2016 8:11 am

mudsurfv6 wrote:i like it.

drop down from 'forum' box on any page is handy, especially having moved house and on dial up :x :( until broadband gets sorted :) .

ORE is way quicker on dial up than any other website we use, TM weather banking etc.

keep up the good work Mike, its appreciated.

I agree with that, I'm liking the new layout/design. Something fresh and seems to work fine, and navigation is clean. :D

Disco Gofer
Hard Yaka

Postby Disco Gofer » Thu May 26, 2016 4:04 pm

Well done guys, love the new look. Very refreshing and easy to navigate.

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Sun May 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Like the "return to top of page arrow" rather handie

Return to “Feedback”