Finaly got out for a dive

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Finaly got out for a dive

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:03 am

Finaly got out for a dive up at Kaikoura(been ages), got my quota nothing big but most were decent. All the females were in egg which is good to see. Had a unreal encounter with a seal too :D
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38 ... 4wd270.jpg
GU patrol 35s ect.
Money and time pit Suzuki Build.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Re: Finaly got out for a dive

Postby DaveM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:33 pm

The last snorkel down the Clarence I had, a Seal decided to play hide and seek. Every time I pulled kelp away in front of me, the dirty little buggers face was right there :shock: much to the amusement of the missus and father in law

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm

DaveM wrote:The last snorkel down the Clarence I had, a Seal decided to play hide and seek. Every time I pulled kelp away in front of me, the dirty little buggers face was right there :shock: much to the amusement of the missus and father in law

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah I have had them come check me out before usually a couple of meters away but this one came up put his eye 30cm from mine and cruzed along with me. He kept spinning and darting in front of me for the whole dive about an hour. Was like he was from a circus. Such different animals in the water than on land.
Last edited by Mud Hog on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GU patrol 35s ect.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Yeah, they are amazing to watch in the water. Biggest fright I have got down that way is people yelling and pointing at a fin in the water a few meters away from me. Luckily it turned out to be a dolphin, not that you could tell from the brown stain in my wetsuit as I saw this thing head towards me :lol:

Another few weeks and the crays will be in 8ft deep water at low tide 8)

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Yeah takes a while to get used to big dark objects flying up too ya. First time I almost shit my self, Have to admit I was nervous having him so close in his envirounment.

Another few weeks and the crays will be in 8ft deep water at low tide

Is this the females dropping their eggs? Cause the females are in close now?
GU patrol 35s ect.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Next couple of months the crays come in very close, and if you know the spots, you are better off snorkelling so you can take paua home too.

This year the Bucks didn't move out far at all, and it's been a good season right through.
We normally throw pots out, last year we were throwing 30 odd crays back each morning that were size, so picking out the biggest, although they were all for family, as I hate the stuff

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:09 pm

DaveM wrote:Next couple of months the crays come in very close, and if you know the spots, you are better off snorkelling so you can take paua home too.
I've been in chest deep before, getting ready to go out and picked up good crays, which is just as well, since I can't hold my breath

This year the Bucks didn't move out far at all, and it's been a good season right through.
We normally throw pots out, last year we were throwing 30 odd crays back each morning that were size, so picking out the biggest, although they were all for family, as I hate the stuff

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:18 pm

DaveM wrote:Next couple of months the crays come in very close, and if you know the spots, you are better off snorkelling so you can take paua home too.

Yeah I hate that rule can't carry paua with bottles even if you get them on snorkle. Shit sounds like you guys had a good year. Is that out of Blenheim? Usually pretty good all year down here peards to the top of north island. They do a march too but I have forgoten when that is?
GU patrol 35s ect.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:25 pm

Clarence is about 25mins north of Kaikoura. Another good spot is Goose Bay (I think) , just as you hit the Coastline off the Hundalees, Wharanui, on the way to Blenheim where the old stone church is, Cape Campbell, turn off before the Saltworks past Ward (only on a very still day due to Lime bottom being stirred up).

I've only snorkelled 2doz times or so, but usually get a few crays each time, so if I can, anyone can

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:52 pm

DaveM wrote:Clarence is about 25mins north of Kaikoura. Another good spot is Goose Bay (I think) , just as you hit the Coastline off the Hundalees, Wharanui, on the way to Blenheim where the old stone church is, Cape Campbell, turn off before the Saltworks past Ward (only on a very still day due to Lime bottom being stirred up).

I've only snorkelled 2doz times or so, but usually get a few crays each time, so if I can, anyone can

Eye yep I reconise the name now you described it, and goose bay. Cool thanks will try Cape Campbell.
GU patrol 35s ect.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Nice Crays there mud dog!

You should come out with us sometime bud.
We normally catch our limit in paua n crays at Motunau.

I don't dive but any excuse to take the boat out n I'm keen.
The bar is always fun to cross. :wink:

Mud Hog
Hard Yaka

Postby Mud Hog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:52 am

That would be cool to come out with you some time. I don't have a boat yet thats why I go to Kaikoura. Your crays are a nice size. I have heard that Motunau is a good area but you need a boat. Yeah bar crossings can get quite exciting!!! Is Malbrough sounds the closest for scallops?
GU patrol 35s ect.

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Mud Hog wrote:That would be cool to come out with you some time. I don't have a boat yet thats why I go to Kaikoura. Your crays are a nice size. I have heard that Motunau is a good area but you need a boat. Yeah bar crossings can get quite exciting!!! Is Malbrough sounds the closest for scallops?

You're right. Marlborough Sounds is the closest.
My mates say the best spot is opposite Waikawa Bay. :wink:

I'll drop you a line the next time we're heading out.

Return to “This Weekends achievements - Non 4wd Related”