28th July

SV1K
Site Admin

28th July

Postby SV1K » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm

So, after completing my exhaust yesterday (8 hours) woke up today and said to Lyn that I wanted to go find this place that I have seen on google maps many times but never been able to find it... but today it was different I wasn't going home till I had found it and I can now tick it off my bucket list... some photos of the place.
phone 045.jpg

phone 044.jpg

phone 043.jpg

Then we went looking else where and found this old building that is no longer used... big waste of money really and I bet they could bring it back into use ...
phone 037.jpg

phone 035.jpg

phone 032.jpg

phone 034.jpg

skid
Tyre Man

Re: 28th July

Postby skid » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:30 pm

You can spend days exploring that peninsula.

Down in the trees are hidden bunkers plus theres some on the hill and further round by scorching bay is the 4-5 story bunker underground
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

phraza
Hard Yaka

Postby phraza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Canopy sold and the guy picked it up Saturday morning, so now started the project of new wellside. Striped out the old tray of all the extra wiring and lights etc.

About to start:

Ready to lift the wellside off:

Wellside off:

Decided to take out the air shocks while it was easier. Put some new Monroe Gas Shocks in.

Newer wellside (2011, only 30,000kms):

All put on and bolted up! Stoked!

Need a white bumper now:

That was Saturday afternoon. Spent Sunday fishing and got a feed for a few nights. Mint weekend!
2WD 06 Hilux... for now

tow99
Hard Yaka

Postby tow99 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 pm

cruised up to rotorua to get yet another diff for my commodore.spent all day today moving crap around the shed to accomodate more crap.not a bad weekend really

amboguy
Bush Crasher

Postby amboguy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

skid wrote:You can spend days exploring that peninsula.

Where is that peninsula?

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 am

Point Halswell on the Miramar Peninsula, Wellington, New Zealand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massey_Memorial
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

suzuki1k

Postby suzuki1k » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:05 am

amboguy wrote:

Where is that peninsula?

Wellington :wink:

skid
Tyre Man

Postby skid » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:05 am

suzuki1k wrote:
amboguy wrote:

Where is that peninsula?

Wellington :wink:

Someones being being greedy and posting under two users :-)
80 Series on 35" creepies, manual with twin factory lockers.

*CHILLAX BRO.*

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:42 am

SV1K wrote:So, after completing my exhaust yesterday (8 hours) woke up today and said to Lyn that I wanted to go find this place that I have seen on google maps many times but never been able to find it... but today it was different I wasn't going home till I had found it and I can now tick it off my bucket list... some photos of the place.

Then we went looking else where and found this old building that is no longer used... big waste of money really and I bet they could bring it back into use ...

If you are looking for interesting history, Miramar Peninsula has it in truck loads.

Before you get to Massey, stop off at Shelly Bay, they is a film prop place that you can go into, $10, way better than any museum because you can play with the props!

Massey Memorial is where they buried all the tractors after the War… Nah, it’s a mausoleum for PM William Massey. Awesome spot, all very Roman and Marble. Interesting fact, it used to be a gun pit, walk up the hill and you have all the WW2 AA gun sites, great view. A bit further up and you have the old woman’s prison grounds, no buildings left but worth a look. This is also where they do a lot of sets for LOTR, Hobbit and where they had the set for “By Kingdom Come” which was a God botherer movie they built a Roman city set for but never used. It was lots of fun to run around inside pretending you were Jesus, until the teenagers moved in then it was a ancient roman city filled with tagging, condoms and empty cruiser bottles. BTW, security won’t let you get close to it now.

Further up the hill is the old prison, not a great deal to see except an old prison…but if you have a poke around you can see the out buildings including the vegetable patches, lots of walking trails, hand built. You can also find the old hut for a “dero” that lived in the bush up there, the story goes that he was released from prison but couldn’t move away so just lived in the bush.

Further round towards Seatoun is Fort Howard, up on the hill, very very interesting Fort, built to repel the Russians in the late 1800’s. Most of it is still intact and looks like it will be restored. They recently pulled one of the original cannons up and that is now being restored by a certain movie maker.

Keep going further round is Fort Dorset, they have recently opened up a walking track that goes up over the hills past all the gun pits, a good walk

Me and the dog walk them all, there’s lots more but thats enough
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

suzuki1k

Postby suzuki1k » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Cheers Bubba, a wealth of knowledge there and I will be back there soon for another walk around... going to see if I can get access to a certain part that has "defense force" written all over it... (hint hint MikeL200)

Is a cool place to have a fun family day-out-and-about as well.

Dr_PC
Hard Yaka

Postby Dr_PC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Down in the trees are hidden bunkers plus theres some on the hill and further round by scorching bay is the 4-5 story bunker underground

there use to be Bunkers up above between Shelly bay and the prison, mind you that was the late 70's

Bubba
Hard Yaka

Postby Bubba » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:25 am

Correction, it's Fort Ballance not Howard, my bad. If you are interested just Google it, it has a very interesting history from about 1888 to the 1970's and even later. The locals ignore the Military "keep out" signs and you just need to be mindful that there are cattle and horses up there that the lease holder get shirtee about if they are disturbed by dogs. As I said, there is filming up there so there are security guards around the old womans prison site but the worst that they do is tell you to go away.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “This Weekends achievements - Non 4wd Related”