bulletproof Chasm track re opened

fisho
Hard Yaka

Re: bulletproof Chasm track re opened

Postby fisho » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi Tim, good to see you got out ok. cheers flag.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:20 am

I can be a little sensitive at times, perhaps i'm reading too much, or maybe I just don't know what i'm talking about, but I didn't see any underprepared trucks, and most had gear and food on board to stay for several days.
Yes it's a testing track, hard on gear, can be done in a couple of hours in a small group if there isn't a breakage.
A bit of bad luck from several vehicles.....everyone has it from time to time.

Couldn't agree more Tim. Out of everyone there on the day, only Richard, Tim, Ricky and myself had driven it before. We have a small group going in in 5 weeks, we will post up our time for all to see.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 am

hosehustler wrote:I can be a little sensitive at times, perhaps i'm reading too much, or maybe I just don't know what i'm talking about, but I didn't see any underprepared trucks, and most had gear and food on board to stay for several days.
Yes it's a testing track, hard on gear, can be done in a couple of hours in a small group if there isn't a breakage.
A bit of bad luck from several vehicles.....everyone has it from time to time.
Perhaps a cut a polish may be a better way to spend our weekends so we don't get our exploits digested Coronation street style :wink:

Hi Tim
You are taking me the wrong way. You guys were well prepared for the trip and it was bad luck 10 times over.

All I am saying is it you can not take this track for granted so therefore the need to have top gear and be well prepared to spend the night in there. The Suziki Club with modified trucks spent the night in there.

We do not want to put people off and as long as people are well set up and have no breakages can expect to do the track around 2 hrs

The "Events 4x4 club" timed all the trucks and they all did it around 2 hrs 20 min with 5 trucks.

Bloody good week end

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 am

It needs to kept in perspective though that heaps of trucks have been in before 4x4 events went in doing the timed stuff and the weather had been settled in the area for several months. They also went through in small groups. Next time we will only have 6 trucks so I will time it start to finish and post it up.
Al

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm

albundy wrote:It needs to kept in perspective though that heaps of trucks have been in before 4x4 events went in doing the timed stuff and the weather had been settled in the area for several months. They also went through in small groups. Next time we will only have 6 trucks so I will time it start to finish and post it up.
Al

That time for the Events 4x4 included Nathan bending a rim on his 37s and having to repair that and John Randle breaking a winch wire that had to be joined.

I have deleted all their times otherwise would have posted it.

Cheers Richard

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Al
Here are the times of the Event 4x4 club that John sent to me.

hi guys,
update on ANZAC weekend, first Qualifying trials for full membership to GROUP A, went off with a bang.
or six.
the trial ran from south bank Clark river to north bank Grey.
track conditions dry, rivers low.
DNF time 6.5 hours.
we thought that was reasonable, would allow for repairs, CV and the like if necessary.
Purely as a matter of interest, times were a lot quicker than that and while they are not that important they do set a bench mark for future qualifiers.
I would expect to take half an hour off my time (for return trip) at a second attempt with similar trac conditions. makes me wonder what the hell i was doing when it has taken me 6.5 hours in the past, incl lunch stop.(one way)

TIMES; START FINISH
Nath 9.23 11.40
Garry 9.28 11.43
Sam 9.31 11.47
JR 9.36 11.50
Tony 9.40 11.54

RETURN;
Northbank Grey to southbank Clark
JR 2.18 hrs
Garry 2.25 hrs

time between starts needed to be more, we ended up in a convoy in the morning.
but we were all keen to get going.
a bigger gap allows drivers to read the trac, take their own line and set there own pace.
the winch out of the chasm, going south, is a good test. the winch point is 100 ft above the creek bed, at the top of a clif, and i got to plan C before i got it right, every bit of recovery gear i had was out by then. that would be easy on a second attempt.
No major damage dramas.
Nath banged a tyre off and badly dented the rim but managed to belt it back into shape and reset the bead. well done,( a 37 spare would help).
Sam managed to bash all 6 of his 4 corners, + a broken window im told. more bars are on order.
I just got the front wheels to the top of the 2nd step out of the chasm and WANG!!! bust cable,
that was exciting, luckily had cable jointers in box. every panel is already bashed so hard to tell if i picked up any more.
the others had no problems that i know of.
Day 2; three trucs pushed up into the Alexander. this was pretty tricky in parts and definitely needs visiting again.

JR.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks for supplying that info Richard. I think JR's theory of a good gap between the trucks is not such a bad idea, it has considerable merit. In theory a well set up truck in good order with capable driver and winch bitch can get through by itself. If road building was required it wouldn't be too long before the rest would catch up.
Al

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Is this track a race or something? Can you not just go in there and enjoy the 4Wding etc? stop for lunch, a cuppa, take photos and stuff???
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:00 pm

No it's not a race track :lol:
your point clearly made and has merit, the event Richard is talking about was a "timed session" for those involved.

Total repair to my vehicle was one shock ($123.00) and 2 radius arms, had one at home and still to find another for Flag (many thanks)

Heading back there in July with some mad Aussies, and we will stop for lunch, take pics, have some fun and probably take all day :lol:
I hate signatures

PR
In the crap again

Postby PR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:15 pm

hosehustler wrote: Heading back there in July with some mad Aussies, :lol:

That would be fun :roll: ones bad enough :lol:
Its NOT a whale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more like a large seal

(021) 02388443

PR
In the crap again

Postby PR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Bulletproof wrote:The "Events 4x4 club" timed all the trucks and they all did it around 2 hrs 20 min with 5 trucks.

Why would they time it :? Or was it just to see who had the biggest balls :shock: I cant see the point in how long it takes as long as you have fun, try not to break anything (yea right) and push yourself :?: maybe someone can shed some light on it for me and the others that have know idea why either :wink: I would like to go in there at a later date cause it looks amazing but I wont go in with a group that wants to play "offroad boyracers"

(021) 02388443

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:47 pm

PR wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:The "Events 4x4 club" timed all the trucks and they all did it around 2 hrs 20 min with 5 trucks.

Why would they time it :? Or was it just to see who had the biggest balls :shock: I cant see the point in how long it takes as long as you have fun, try not to break anything (yea right) and push yourself :?: maybe someone can shed some light on it for me and the others that have know idea why either :wink: I would like to go in there at a later date cause it looks amazing but I wont go in with a group that wants to play "offroad boyracers"

The events 4x4 are trying to get the top 2 tough guys from all the Christchurch clubs and to prove that you are good enough to qualify for the club are timing prospective members to see if they are good enough.

I actually opened the Chasm track and with Flag was the first through Tailings but would still have to prove that I am good enough for the club.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers Richard

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Sounds like a lot of cock flopping really :?

It will only prove who is strongest of the ones who partake.
That isn't exactly going to get a true reflection of who is the best is it? :roll: :roll:

All it proves is who can win the set competition course, (which I may add, there is nothing wrong with), but call it a comp.

But then again I may be reading it wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rokhound on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

PR
In the crap again

Postby PR » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:42 pm

Bulletproof wrote:
PR wrote:

The events 4x4 are trying to get the top 2 tough guys from all the Christchurch clubs and to prove that you are good enough to qualify for the club are timing prospective members to see if they are good enough.

I actually opened the Chasm track and with Flag was the first through Tailings but would still have to prove that I am good enough for the club.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers Richard

Thanks Richard that clears things up abit :roll: I was invited to goin that club but I dont think it is for me :wink: I will look at the North Canterbury Club when I have some time :wink:

(021) 02388443

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:56 pm

Haha!, save yaself a lot of time, just drive both sides of the chasm! :lol: its been done already :mrgreen: I wasn't racing in a "timed" event tho :roll:
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:25 am

Jafa wrote:Haha!, save yaself a lot of time, just drive both sides of the chasm! :lol: its been done already :mrgreen: I wasn't racing in a "timed" event tho :roll:

Actually Jafa, we made the return trip right out to the Snowy rd and back to your trailer at the Clarke in under 6 hrs.

That time included Photos, Marc fixing his spring hanger, Lunch and you playing on rocks in the Chasm .

It also included you being towed in the bog :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A nice relaxed day with no pressure

Cheers Richard

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:34 am

Bulletproof wrote:
It also included you being towed in the bog :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Richard

your not going to let me forget about that are you Richard? :lol: :lol: :lol:
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:55 am

Just to put some perspective on the reasons behind the 'times' for this track. The plan was for the group to go through this track under a DNF time of 6.5 hours ( even Al could do it in that time :wink: :lol: ) and as Richard mentioned before they went through mucked around etc and still only took 6 hours. Having only yourself, your winchman and your own recovery gear to help (but knowing there are another few trucks there if things went really wrong) So calling it a race is wrong. The idea is to get a group of guys who are self sufficient as far as recovery and breakdowns are concerned so we don't have to spend all day towing and/or repairing other peoples trucks. Cause theres nothing more frustrating than planning a weekend of 4wding but then wasting a shitload of time helping someone who has not prepared themselves or their truck for it. Its a damn sight easier to do repairs in a workshop than in a muddy bog. I've been on enough trips now to have seen a lot of things breakdown that should have been sorted before they left town. I think its a consideration thing cause we've all spent time and money to get there to go wheeling not play bush mechanics. Somethings can't be planned for like Tims breakage but thats the "shit happens" thing not any other reason.
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:59 am

H2OLOVA wrote:Just to put some perspective on the reasons behind the 'times' for this track. The plan was for the group to go through this track under a DNF time of 6.5 hours ( even Al could do it in that time :wink: :lol: ) and as Richard mentioned before they went through mucked around etc and still only took 6 hours. Having only yourself, your winchman and your own recovery gear to help (but knowing there are another few trucks there if things went really wrong) So calling it a race is wrong. The idea is to get a group of guys who are self sufficient as far as recovery and breakdowns are concerned so we don't have to spend all day towing and/or repairing other peoples trucks. Cause theres nothing more frustrating than planning a weekend of 4wding but then wasting a shitload of time helping someone who has not prepared themselves or their truck for it. Its a damn sight easier to do repairs in a workshop than in a muddy bog. I've been on enough trips now to have seen a lot of things breakdown that should have been sorted before they left town. I think its a consideration thing cause we've all spent time and money to get there to go wheeling not play bush mechanics. Somethings can't be planned for like Tims breakage but thats the "shit happens" thing not any other reason.

I whole heartedly see the logic in the group of club members your are trying to build!!!!!

Been on far to many trip's where you have spent the whole weekend fixing other people's shite, when half an hour in the garage checking stuff over prior to coming would have shown the problem up :evil: :evil:
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Jafa wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:

Cheers Richard

Hi Jafa
I was with Rick last weekend. He had his 40inch rock crawling tyres on so I showed him the boulders that you were playing on and said 'this is his chance to prove that he is better than you" He said some other time.

He asked me if any one had tried driving up the Chasm to see how far a truck could get, so when you down next we should try and organize it.

Cheers Richard

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Bulletproof wrote:
Jafa wrote:
Bulletproof wrote:

Cheers Richard

Hi Jafa
I was with Rick last weekend. He had his 40inch rock crawling tyres on so I showed him the boulders that you were playing on and said 'this is his chance to prove that he is better than you" He said some other time.

He asked me if any one had tried driving up the Chasm to see how far a truck could get, so when you down next we should try and organize it.

Cheers Richard

Yeah now that sounds like a plan 8)

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Richard, what is the highest flow one can cross the Upper Grey?
AL

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm

albundy wrote:Richard, what is the highest flow one can cross the Upper Grey?
AL

Hi Al

I hope you guys have a good time this weekend. I'm sure you will.

The Grey River is fordable around 2100mm but you may get pushed sideways abit.

As I write this the Grey River is flowing at 1780mm at Waipuna so that will be easy for the weekend because there is not much rain forcast

Have a good trip and say hello to Rude from me.

Cheers Richard

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:16 am

Thanks for that Richard, will pass on your giddays to Rude, about to wake him up shortly, got a front wheelbearing to deal to before we head off tomorrow. we thought we might do the Chasm from the grey end, just for something different. We will post up how we go saturday night.
Al

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am

Al,

First one I've missed :-( since I met you back in Central... say hi to everyone for me...

Cheers,

Bill
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm

albundy wrote: we thought we might do the Chasm from the grey end, just for something different. We will post up how we go saturday night.
Al

Haven't seen a post yet.

How did you guys go in the chasm ? The river report for Saturday morning said the Grey River was 1850 mm at Waipuna.

Any Photos ?

Any Breakages ?

Is it washed out more ?

Cheers Richard

fisho
Hard Yaka

Postby fisho » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:23 pm

hi richard, just flag here saying hello to you and janet from skagway in alaska. will have a story or two to tell when we get back
cheers flag.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Hi Richard,
river flows were all fine, clarke had more water in it then normal. I finally beat that last climb out of the clarke only for a sun gear to let go in the winch winching out of the chasm. Reversed down and decided to head out to the grey and let the boys carry on. They managed to kill another winch on Keiths jeep. I had arranged to meet the guys heading in from the other end, but I spent so long clearing tracks of trees on the cocky's property that I only managed to meet them at the snowyriver road end. They all had fun, Sam broke several hubs, one nissan came oh so close to going over in the rock garden. Plenty of bent panels. Jas had a heating problem. They did in in 5-6 hours, newbies included. I craked my windscreen going up Mt Greenland, but the track is now reopened. We found the track to the power house, managed to get down to the river only to stop as it had gottne higher in the half hour lunch break that I called it quits. Still an effort to get out as Rick's truck snapped a dizzy shaft and we had to get the one from Keith's jeep to get him out. You won't find much on the site about the trip as it seems to have gone all custardy and we just can't be bothered wasting time trying to find shit. There will be a DVD soon, Rude's mate Nifty is putting it together and sending over, I will ensure you get a copy.
Al

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:46 pm

here's a couple of shots of Ricks jeep crossed up in the gully :mrgreen:

I hate signatures

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:27 pm

albundy wrote:Hi Richard,
river flows were all fine, clarke had more water in it then normal. I finally beat that last climb out of the clarke only for a sun gear to let go in the winch winching out of the chasm. Reversed down and decided to head out to the grey and let the boys carry on. They managed to kill another winch on Keiths jeep. I had arranged to meet the guys heading in from the other end, but I spent so long clearing tracks of trees on the cocky's property that I only managed to meet them at the snowyriver road end. They all had fun, Sam broke several hubs, one nissan came oh so close to going over in the rock garden. Plenty of bent panels. Jas had a heating problem. They did in in 5-6 hours, newbies included. I craked my windscreen going up Mt Greenland, but the track is now reopened. We found the track to the power house, managed to get down to the river only to stop as it had gottne higher in the half hour lunch break that I called it quits. Still an effort to get out as Rick's truck snapped a dizzy shaft and we had to get the one from Keith's jeep to get him out. You won't find much on the site about the trip as it seems to have gone all custardy and we just can't be bothered wasting time trying to find shit. There will be a DVD soon, Rude's mate Nifty is putting it together and sending over, I will ensure you get a copy.
Al

Hi Al.
Thanks for the report. This track must just about have the record for stuffed winches and Damage. I don't see it getting much easier either. At least you all got out and had fun.

Look forward to a video

Cheers Richard

T

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”