bulletproof Chasm track re opened

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

bulletproof Chasm track re opened

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:15 am

over anzac we have re opened the bulletproof chasm track from the clark river through the Grey to the staircase.

Not for the faint hearted. Good winch required as one bank out of chasm is very steep and needs to be winched up or down.
Never say die, up man and try

albundy
Rolly Polly

Re: bulletproof Chasm track re opened

Postby albundy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 am

And it was fun too, third time I've been in and it gets better each time. Looking at doing midwinter when frozen as "Al's birthday trip" for this year. As Richard has said, it aint for the faint hearted, need a winch, attitude and lockers would be an advantage... :lol: :lol:
Good weekend too Richard and it was good to finally meet you. Any chance your lovely wife could send me some of the vid fottage as an email.

Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 pm

We are currently making some DVD's. I am going to send some to Paul delis but if you could give me your address I will send a copy to you along with a copy of the very first trip through.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Richard, the worst kept 4WD secret is finally out :wink: , the Clarke is open. The Clarke to Upper Grey track that I did many years ago with some of the CHCH boys that used to do the nite day enduro with your club----- remember?. We did it the last time just before the big slip blocked the track. Well I did the Upper Grey river end with Al and Tim plus other ORE members including some from the North Is and either my memory has deteriorated or the track has altered. I'm sure the last section before the upper grey came along a flat open section of about 1km and when you got to the river you drove down stream, crossed the Upper Grey and then drove up stream and drove up the side stream ( I know this side stream is now blocked off with fallen logs) till it meets the track where it now crosses the river and you do an acute left and go up the small gorge and up the hill. ( this is the new part of the track that takes you out to the Upper Grey). Is my memory failing ? or are we even on the same track, may have to have a chat to you about it.
Thanks to you and your helpers for all the hard work, I know it has taken more than one or two weekends to open the track.

BULLETPROOF :?: DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT,

FITZY.

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Thu May 01, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Fitzy, those were the good old day's. The name Bulletproof dates back to 1996 when I fitted ARB lockers to the Hilux. At that time no one could touch the Hilux, winning Enduro 97,97 and 98 until we had our accident, Sav started the name bulletproof which somehow seems to have stuck.
Enough of that dribble. We are talking about the same track, Because of the boulders in the grey at the original crossing Les Gill and the Greymouth club cut the track along the terrace to a better crossing.
For anyone interested in the history of the track.
Easter 98 Malcom higgins, Oldblue, Trevor Ward, Chris Hollis and myself went in from the Clarke and drove to the end of the road at the river in the bush. WE thought that was it.
At the Ikamatua hotel on the next trip, Ben Fergerson from Waipuna Station told me a D2 had been down to the grey and gave me a map of the route down.
I then told Les Gill about this, so the Greymouth Club drove in and found the track which had been washed away.They then worked there way down and across the Grey but couldn't find the Staircase so return after considerable damage.
Xmas 98 Higgie, Trevor and myself were sure there must be a way through ,so we went in from the Staircase which was a complete road then and drove to the Alexanda where the road ended. We then formed a new road to the Grey . The Grey was in flood so we dazzled some trees and went in from the Clarke end.When we reached the Grey "Lo and Behold" we could see our Dazzle ,We then tied the Hilux to the cruisers and I tried crossing, I went out into about 4 feet of water but it so obvious we couldnt get across. Two Day's later the river had dropped and we did the first through trip from the Clarke to Snowy River.
2003-2004 Massive flood that formed the Chasm and blocked the Grey River
Feb 2005 Chris Hollis Murray Davis and myself Form a new road from Grey end to the top of the hill
Xmas 2005 Paul Delis ,Nigel Harris and myself formed a track from the Clarke up the river, I got to the top of the first big washout.
Jan 2007 Kerry Smith and I made track a into the Chasm and drove down the chasm to the Grey
June 2007 Kerry and Warwick Smith, Chris Baird and myself stacked Logs and made a ramp out of Chasm
July 2007 We returned and finished the road along the top
Nov 2007 Flag,Mike Dredge ,Smiths ,Geff Gregory and myself made the first trip through from Waipuna to Snowy River
Quite rewarding as I had spent 8 days work and name it Bulletproof Chasm track.
Hope to see you on the track soon,
Richard

SMOKEY wrote:Hi Richard, the worst kept 4WD secret is finally out :wink: , the Clarke is open. The Clarke to Upper Grey track that I did many years ago with some of the CHCH boys that used to do the nite day enduro with your club----- remember?. We did it the last time just before the big slip blocked the track. Well I did the Upper Grey river end with Al and Tim plus other ORE members including some from the North Is and either my memory has deteriorated or the track has altered. I'm sure the last section before the upper grey came along a flat open section of about 1km and when you got to the river you drove down stream, crossed the Upper Grey and then drove up stream and drove up the side stream ( I know this side stream is now blocked off with fallen logs) till it meets the track where it now crosses the river and you do an acute left and go up the small gorge and up the hill. ( this is the new part of the track that takes you out to the Upper Grey). Is my memory failing ? or are we even on the same track, may have to have a chat to you about it.
Thanks to you and your helpers for all the hard work, I know it has taken more than one or two weekends to open the track.

BULLETPROOF :?: DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT,

FITZY.
Last edited by Bulletproof on Fri May 02, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMOKEY
Hard Yaka

Postby SMOKEY » Thu May 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Richard I enjoyed your History lesson of the track, It must have been about 2002-03 that we did the track, we went from Clarke to the Grey, on our next trip we where going to do it from the Grey to the Clarke but the track was no more. And Yes the old crossing of the Grey was a mission, I had water running through the heater vents, was a good test for my water proofing on the 3F petrol Cruiser, wasn't nice to watch Alasdair McDonald floating down the Grey in his soft top Mitzi,how ever he stayed with the flow and eventually made the far side.
Looking forward to catching up on the trail.

FITZY.

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu May 01, 2008 9:04 pm

SMOKEY wrote:Hi Richard, the worst kept 4WD secret is finally out :wink: , the Clarke is open.
FITZY.

OK so now the "secret" is out,
Can we please have some directions?
This sounds like it needs a look

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Fri May 02, 2008 7:54 am

Smurf wrote:
SMOKEY wrote:Hi Richard, the worst kept 4WD secret is finally out :wink: , the Clarke is open.
FITZY.

OK so now the "secret" is out,
Can we please have some directions?
This sounds like it needs a look

The eaisest way to do this track is from the Clarke end ,not that this is easy. On a club grading would be 6+.
To go in from this end, go up Waipuna Rd to the Clarke. You need to cross Ken Fergersons Paddock, so you need to give Ken a ring on 037323841 or else call in to his house on Waipuna Station.
To go in from the Staircase end drive up Hukarere Rd , You will see an old sawmill site with the remains of a petrol pump on the right. The Staircase is the next turn to right, if you get to the alexanda you have gone too far.

Richard

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Fri May 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Richard.

swampa
Hard Yaka

Postby swampa » Fri May 02, 2008 8:55 pm

we might do this track the day after the top of the south event, if my wagon is still going, coming back down through the coast, could possibly be a monday if any one is keen

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm

I have put these photos in to give you an idea of what you are up against.
This is a Grade 6+ track
On this is track you WILL receive damage . You need a good winch of 8 or 9000 min. Extra wire rope if coming from Grey end to exit the chasm. Snatch block and a good Chainsaw.
The Grey River is fordable when river flow is under 2100mm at Waipuna. Look up Grey council river flows on internet.
Dont cross if you cant see bottom unless you know the route through the boulders

Bulletproof chasm
Nigel Harris and paul at Clarke end
Andi on side
1st big washout and route up
Top bank on 1st washout
Warwick smith at top of 1st bank into bulletproof chasm
steep bank into chasm
Mike lifting rear wheels as he a drops over into chasm
kerry winching out
Geoff winching up
Flag winching up 2nd bank out of chasm
2nd bank out of bulletproof chasm
WARNING about 65 degrees.The hilux stood on end and crashed. You will run out of oil pressure when winching down.
3rd wasout
paul in 4th washout
You will get damage
you do need a good chainsaw
more damage
Al crossing the grey
Bent driveshaft from being spun around on to a boulder when crossing grey at about 1200 deep

Hope you have fun.

bulletproof
Last edited by Bulletproof on Wed May 14, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Tue May 13, 2008 10:21 pm

Now that looks like fun! :lol: :lol:
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed May 14, 2008 6:37 am

It is Jafa, it is. Why not head down for 18-20 July. You could easily hitch a ride with someone.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed May 14, 2008 7:40 am

albundy wrote:It is Jafa, it is. Why not head down for 18-20 July. You could easily hitch a ride with someone.
Al

I've got a spare seat for a willing winch bitch :twisted:
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

safari_mulisha
Hard Yaka

Postby safari_mulisha » Fri May 16, 2008 1:41 am

hell thats my kinda track.... where do i find this in the north island?
loving the 60degree slope... the winch in the rear can cope with that

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Fri May 16, 2008 8:06 am

safari_mulisha wrote:hell thats my kinda track.... where do i find this in the north island?
loving the 60degree slope... the winch in the rear can cope with that

Visit the Mainland down South ;-)
-----------------------

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 pm

bulletproof was that mike dredges swb landcruiser ? as i recognise flags rig there 8)
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon May 19, 2008 7:13 pm

nuts wrote:bulletproof was that mike dredges swb landcruiser ? as i recognise flags rig there 8)

You are right about that, it is Mike and Sandy Dredge going down into the chasm. Flag and Di and Geoff Gregory and his son from Westport were also there, for the 1st complete trip through bulletproof chasm from Waipuna through the Grey river to the staircase.
You probably dont know me, but I was in the hilux coming out of the little Totara with Flag and Johnny Reay on the very first run from Tailings to Costello hill when you were heading in from the totara end.

Bulletproof

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm

yeah i know you richard i was the whale you and flag passed wen you 1st completed tailings track :wink:
ive also been on a couple of trips as flags passenger when you were over here 4x4ing :mrgreen:
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Paul Delis doing damage at anzac weekend 08 on one of the washouts.

Richard

Pradozer
Bush Crasher

Postby Pradozer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:32 pm

Got it, no wonder my door is dented, never mind
Trust me, I know what I am doing

Cheers Pradozer

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 pm

Pradozer wrote:Got it, no wonder my door is dented, never mind

If the body damage is as likely as Al says it is, we might need to go halves in a Prado body ;-)
-----------------------

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 am

wjw wrote:
Pradozer wrote:Got it, no wonder my door is dented, never mind

If the body damage is as likely as Al says it is, we might need to go halves in a Prado body ;-)

Not much point in that Bill, you know that you'll be needing a body each by the time this trips over
:lol: :lol:
***Got the balls, just ain't got the bucks***

Monstaman
Winch master

Postby Monstaman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:37 am

H2OLOVA wrote:
Not much point in that Bill, you know that you'll be needing a body each by the time this trips over
:lol: :lol:

I think you just give up afta a while and just accept it and enjoy your truck for what you bought it for.

Every time I go away with bulletproof my truck gets narrower, shorter, and slightly (note very) older looking, mum warned me about boys like him but I never listened :lol:

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 am

Monstaman wrote:I think you just give up afta a while and just accept it and enjoy your truck for what you bought it for.

I thought you just put more bars on :wink:

Monstaman wrote:
Every time I go away with bulletproof my truck gets narrower, shorter, and slightly (note very) older looking, mum warned me about boys like him but I never listened :lol:

Is it the truck getting older or the eyes you're using to look at it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys on Als trip

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 pm

H2OLOVA wrote:
Monstaman wrote:I think you just give up afta a while and just accept it and enjoy your truck for what you bought it for.

I thought you just put more bars on :wink:

Monstaman wrote:

Is it the truck getting older or the eyes you're using to look at it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys on Als trip

If he's anything like his brother, we'll be in for an interesting trip. I just hope the truck makes it to drive me to work on the Monday ;-)
-----------------------

H2OLOVA
Hard Yaka

Postby H2OLOVA » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:23 am

wjw wrote: I just hope the truck makes it to drive me to work on the Monday ;-)

Don't worry Bill, Christchurch has a world class Bus service :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:31 am

H2OLOVA wrote:
wjw wrote: I just hope the truck makes it to drive me to work on the Monday ;-)

Don't worry Bill, Christchurch has a world class Bus service :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless they are waiting for windows to be fixed :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 am

Video clip Jan 2007 building track and entering Bulletproof chasm for first time.

Nearly stopped by bees

Cheers Bulletproof

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:01 am

Video clip July 2007
Building ramp out of the chasm from dead trees littering the chasm
Warwick smith driving down for the first time after winching up and me trying to drive it with a broken shock and losing control

Cheers Bulletproof

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”