bulletproof Chasm track re opened

mike
Last minute Mike

Re: bulletproof Chasm track re opened

Postby mike » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm

albundy wrote:You won't find much on the site about the trip as it seems to have gone all custardy and we just can't be bothered wasting time trying to find shit.

Maybe I shouldnt waste my time trying to make it easier to keep track of the different parts of the forums (offtopic dont show up in the new post blocks) nor waste my time building the photo albums (2am last night and all day today) nor creating a track database, nor creating photo build areas nor trying to keep this site going. Next time try offering constructive criticism instead of just rubbishing the site. The goal of the latest posts page is just that. to show the latest posts in the most popular parts of the site. As I said in the posts that have been discussing this area, I intend on adding a navigation block so those that like to just see the one big list of all active topics inlcuding offtopic can still see that. That will most likely be tomorrow or the next day as I'm trying to import the 20,000 + photos from 2-3 years ago into the gallery i spent all last night and today building. If you think I don't see these little snide comments that keep popping up every now and again Al about how this site has gone to shit, or no one comes here anymore, your wrong and as one of the oldest members of the site your comments have some weight in them are quite off putting when it comes to putting effort in upgrading or creating new stuff and keeping the site going.
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:00 pm

hosehustler wrote:here's a couple of shots of Ricks jeep crossed up in the gully :mrgreen:

Hi Tim
looking at that picture. I think those 3 water holes in the picture were left by your wheels from where you bent your Radius arm,

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:14 pm

fisho wrote:hi richard, just flag here saying hello to you and janet from skagway in alaska. will have a story or two to tell when we get back
cheers flag.

Hi Flag,

Good to here from you in Alaska, sounds like you and Di are having a good time. I also hope your back is improving.

Debbie wants to bring our granddaughter to Westport in September so we might bring her down in the Euro and Janet and myself will see you and look at your pics etc.

Glad you and Di are enjoying yourself

Cheers Richard

Moriarty
Hard Yaka

Postby Moriarty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm

mike wrote:...........clip............

Maybe I shouldnt waste my time trying to make it easier to keep track of the different parts of the forums (offtopic dont show up in the new post blocks) nor waste my time building the photo albums (2am last night and all day today) nor creating a track database, nor creating photo build areas nor trying to keep this site going. Next time try offering constructive criticism instead of just rubbishing the site. .........clip...........

Maybe, Mike, you should just keep adoing what you are adoing of, building what has become the definitive 4w4 site for NZ, one that has a huge (and unfortunately, silent) group of appreciative users.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:24 am

Build a f'ing bridge Mike, I was not having a go at you or site, I was just making a comment. I was not the first to make comment about the front page, in fact I think it will drive people away as it takes time to find stuff now,. And if I wanted to make a comment behind your back, it aint my style, I would say it to your face.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:44 am

Bulletproof wrote:
hosehustler wrote:here's a couple of shots of Ricks jeep crossed up in the gully :mrgreen:

Hi Tim
looking at that picture. I think those 3 water holes in the picture were left by your wheels from where you bent your Radius arm,

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard,
yes thats the spot that got me on that last trip, this trip several went up the gully, and some over the hill, the hill track is definately tamer on gear and it's good to be able to have both tracks winching in tandem for the larger groups, although I have heard some opposition to it's use, but it's there now :roll:

Oh and gidday Flag, hope you're having a good holiday, I've picked up a radius arm off Nathan to replace your spare one, will get it to Westport with Nuts or Jim.
I hate signatures

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi, I joined this site to say thanks for your efforts in opening "bulletproff chasm" track. I learnt of its history and well deserved name after we drove/winched it on Easter Sunday, then was trying to find info on the cause of the chasm. That would have been a spectacular washout to see in action.
On a kayak info site I found a comment by a kayaker regarding the amount of debri (trees/logs etc) left 5m above water level, on opposite bank of the Upper Grey (which is 50m wide at this point) from the chasm.
We (5 trucks) bent panels and cracked a windscreen, but loved every bit of it. Even welded a panard bar and leaf spring with 3 batterys in series, another 1st. I have seen bulletproofs truck go up the 1st washout on the way to the chasm to veiw 1yr ago Easter. Truly a sight to see. Great track, what tracks do you recommend we do next Easter?
If you break it... build it stronger.

cruzerboy
Hard Yaka

Postby cruzerboy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 pm

group of use when through on the 4th of sept was ezyer than last time i went through but we had a few problems with a couple of truck(over heating broken cvs etc) that slowed us down a bit it was good fun tho must say doing the last hour of the track and crossing the gray in the dark was a bit sketchy. next time i think we try it the opposite way.

fisho
Hard Yaka

Postby fisho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

LOOKS LIKE YOU GUYS HAD A GOOD TRIP. THANKS FOR SENDING THE PRADO PARTS BACK.
CHEERS FLAG. :D

flexy
Hard Yaka

Postby flexy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 pm

no probs sorry it took a while was flat out wen we got home cheers for helping us out of a bad situation

HedgeBoar
Hard Yaka

Postby HedgeBoar » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Is the info near the start of this thread regarding access still current? i.e.: cross Ken Fergersons Paddock (037323841) at the clarke end, and all public land at the staircase end?

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:23 pm

HedgeBoar wrote:Is the info near the start of this thread regarding access still current? i.e.: cross Ken Fergersons Paddock (037323841) at the clarke end, and all public land at the staircase end?

Yes it is a good idea to ring Ken even though a lot just go through.

The track is a lot easier now it is being used with only a couple of winches.

We did a 4.5 hr return trip at Xmas and in that time we had to clear a tree and not rushing.

Cheers Richard

HedgeBoar
Hard Yaka

Postby HedgeBoar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:12 am

Well we didn't end up getting to the chasm track this time, we ended up having plenty of fun nearer our camp site (slab hut creek).

FYI: When I tried to contact Ken on the phone number on the previous posts I found it was no longer his number. Luckily the guy I talked to knew the number I was looking for:

Ken
03 732 3501

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Postby PigFmr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 am

great place had a ball,we took 2 other memebers from mid canterbury 4wd club they came with us nc4wd club,they enjoyed it ,no carnage ,no breakages,fun wkend great company
vince

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Out of interest with todays record flood in the grey river.

The Grey at Waipuna peaked around 6 metres today at just after lunch so any damage can be expected.

2.1 metres is the max fordable flow. The most I have known before is around 4.5 metres.

And the grey at Dobson has gone completely off the charts at 5000 Cubic metres a second

Cheers Richard

crazyclark31
Hard Yaka

Postby crazyclark31 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Bulletproof wrote:Out of interest with todays record flood in the grey river.

The Grey at Waipuna peaked around 6 metres today at just after lunch so any damage can be expected.

2.1 metres is the max fordable flow. The most I have known before is around 4.5 metres.

And the grey at Dobson has gone completely off the charts at 5000 Cubic metres a second

Cheers Richard

that is fcukn huge water. :shock: would love to have seen it. be interesting to paddle it when comes back down to see how its changed 8)

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 pm

I take it you'll be in there at xmas Richard. Might see you at Reefton, Tim's organising a trip there for when I come over. I'm sure we are heading into the chasm.
AL

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:06 pm

albundy wrote:I take it you'll be in there at xmas Richard. Might see you at Reefton, Tim's organising a trip there for when I come over. I'm sure we are heading into the chasm.
AL

Hi Al
We will be in Reefton at the Motor camp on 27th Dec through to the new year

See you down there

Cheers Richard

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:21 pm

oljamesyboy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4iV7JYFORrM#!

A shame it didnt show what it looked like at the mouth ...mouth is impressive on a quiet day ....be good to see it in big flood

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:02 pm

this has river mouth shots, good filming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zQibXQ ... re=related

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:39 pm

I rang up Jerry last night at Waipuna to see how he was and whether he had been flooded. He said about 6 houses had been flooded up there.

He is in the first house on the right as you drive up the Waipuna Road from the Grey River Bridge. He said the water never went through his house but the Waipuna Road from the bridge was under water.

I asked him why a rescue was needed at Totara Flat considering there are no rivers there. He said the Railway line embankment down river from the Ikamatua road bridge made the Grey River bank up right to Totara Flat before it flowed over the road to escape and that is what was on TV last night with the car being towed by a tractor. So that is alot of water.

It will be interesting to see what damage there is.

Cheers Richard

juz
Hard Yaka

Postby juz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:26 pm

dont know if anybody can watch this being a facebook link but its the grey mouth 1hr before High Tide.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=323983480949919

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 am

Bulletproof wrote:
albundy wrote:I take it you'll be in there at xmas Richard. Might see you at Reefton, Tim's organising a trip there for when I come over. I'm sure we are heading into the chasm.
AL

Hi Al
We will be in Reefton at the Motor camp on 27th Dec through to the new year

See you down there

Cheers Richard

Hi Richard,
Will be a busy place between xmas and new year then, our lot were going to head to Westport but I decided the Reefton campground would be better for the children (will be about 3 families with us) with the river to swim in, bigger grounds, etc and of course plenty of close by day trips 8)

The chasm may have taken a hiding in that storm will sure be interesting to see how much it's changed, went through a couple of weeks ago and only 3 winchings required.
I hate signatures

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:51 am

Anyone been in or stuck their noses in for a look?
Al

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 pm

On the 28th of Dec 2011, Nigel Harris, Andi & Paul Delis and myself went in to check the condition of the Chasm after the big downpour.

It is pretty much stuffed. We worked our way up from the Clarke River and dropped into the Chasm but the Ramp I built has been washed away leaving a vertical 8 foot high face so it will require a lot of work to get through again.

The volume and force of water has rolled huge rocks down.Those rocks on top of the big one are probably 200kgs.

Here is one by the exit

We worked our way down the chasm and crossed the Grey River and then drove up the next washout trying to get back to the track but ended up in tiger country.

We then drove down the Staircase, The exit and track opposite the clearing has been washed away so we went down the Alexander River and crossed the Grey River at the confluence and went in at the other end of the track but once we got to the creek the track has completely gone with a new deep channel with vertical sides where the track once was, so once again it will take many days of hard work to open it up.

I'm 65 now and have opened this track twice so this time someone else can have a go if they want to open it up. Good Luck

In the Chasm is a nice lunch spot

Cheers Richard
Last edited by Bulletproof on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:22 pm

I'll help open it up, but I don't think I'll have enough brownie points with the wife for a long while yet.
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:58 pm

very interesting find richard. i'd be keen to hear a bit more about your findings.. do you have any other pics of said carnage?

and yes dude, you may be 65, but you wouldnt be chucked on the end of a spade... how about in a more of a consultancy role? :wink:
ImageImage

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm

More Photos

This is what the Clarke end looked like when we arrived with no signs of a track left at the start.

We didn't spent much time making a track here and just boulder bashed our way through to get to the chasm knocking the odd bank down.

There is no track down the chasm to the Grey River. It is just a matter of finding the best route

Andi and Paul just about at the Grey River

Cheers Richard
Last edited by Bulletproof on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:52 pm

The grey is also a little wider. Richard caught up with Tim and our crew sitting in the middle of the grey having a beer talking about how we could get across and up the other side. Seen as the grey is about 5-20 meters wider we gave it a miss. It was also late in the day. Good week at Reefton though.
Al

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”