tracks in queenstown

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

tracks in queenstown

Postby Petemcc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 pm

jst wondering if anybody knows of any good tracks round queenstown, i know about macetown skippers etc but there must be more??? need a challange

cromcruiser
Bush Crasher

Postby cromcruiser » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi Pete good tracks in central tell me about yourself and your surf modes tyres etc
as i live in cromwell and work in queenstown
Alistair

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:35 pm

well, i have an 89 surf (last of the old shape), it is stock standard apart from a snorkel and i have a set of 31 inch firestone mud tires i got for cheap. was thinking about doing abit of a cheap lift (shakels in back and wind up torsion bars) but now am not sure as dont know how long ill be keeping it (having afew motor problems). i am going to be in qtwn working til feb when i go back to uni. will be working alot but am very keen to do some 4wding on days off (if my trucks still going lol)
pete

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:11 am

hey guys, i just moved to queenstown in the last week and once the pay check starts coming through in a few weeks wouldnt mind getting out and about and checking out the local tracks if ya dont mind showing another new guy round :lol:
I have a 92 V6 surf pretty stock apart from a snorkel, some tow hook / highlift jack points (thanks mike!) and torsion bars tweaked a bit and LSD. Also my mate is also moving here in a few days and he would be dead keen to get out at some stage too he has a MU lifted and running 33's

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:01 am

oh man I wanna move there!! so many cool tracks

Im sure Alistar will show you some of the local tracks, he did for us out of townies and we had a good ole time :wink: Also you moving down there explains the txt I got from bill saying there was another surf down there with a ORE sticker on it that he has seen :D

Mike
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:09 pm

yeah i guees that would be mine :lol: havent seen any trucks down here with the sticker other than mine. Looking forward to checking the place out soon there will be a whole new bunch of us keen cause another mate in wanaka has a 4x4 too and is looking to catch up for some trips
Hows life up in wellington mike?

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:53 pm

hey penetrator, welcome to QT,

yeah as crom cruiser said heaps of good tracks towards cromwell and through central, 1 and 2 day missions,..

as for QT theres a bit of everything, queenstown hill is covered in them, the entire hill behind frankton road has tracks through it of all discriptions, also if you head up goldfields road theres a cyclone gate just about at the top which takes you over the hill to aurthers point, think it services the pylons good in there; locked gate at the point end though....

list goes on and on aye, head up GY way and you have the rees and dart rivers.... MASSIVE braided rivers to play in :D

see ya round
conan

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:01 pm

which ones goldfields road?

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:18 pm

sounds like there is heaps of options, maybe in a few weeks some of us could meet up for a bit of play and put some names to the faces :?: Just have to get settled in at work and stuff first and get some $$$ :twisted:

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:23 pm

hmmm goldfields is about half way along, closer to shell than to QT, has sherwood manor at bottom and goldfields heights etc

yeah sounds like a good idea to catch up, sounds like theres a handful of us on here....

you guys get along to the 4WD club meeting other night??

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:29 pm

no didnt realise there was one happening - i only just arrived here last week is it a good club?

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:37 pm

its only just started up, first trip is 20th november, apparently they have land under cardrona with obstacles holes rocks theyve made etc
so sorta training day and meet and greet :)

you should come along

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:45 pm

is that next sunday? If i have enough cash for some gas money then id be keen ill keep in touch with you and find out the details etc

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:00 pm

yip next sunday

If i have enough cash for some gas money

hhahaha yeah know that feeling :(

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:42 pm

found goldfields and went for a wee drive looks like abit of fun. yea id probly be keen to go along if im not working. keep in touch.

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:16 pm

sweet, you go through the gate and up track ??? how long you been in QT??

dont forget about the trusty shotover delta :D plenty of fun and steep climbs 40deg +

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:57 am

Hey do either of you guys want to go for a look up gold fields road this afternoon? Either write back here ill be online for a while or text / call 027 4602 386

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:28 pm

You two moving up there means it must have been one of you I saw in town on Wednesday with an Ore sticker & high lift on the roof... :D

Shame I'm in Christchurch now
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:11 pm

conan. i went up some track at the top it worked its way up past a couple of sheds then got to a private property gate. its this the one you are talking about? that were afew options of where to go, didnt have much time to explore.

penetrator. i wont be doing anymre 4wding till i get my turbo fixed as there are only so many places you can go at idol lol. hopfuly get it sorted next week. when thats done i would be very keen for afew we plays here and there but only in the evenings as work most days tho will post if i have a day free.

hope to get in contact with you guy soon.
pete

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:44 pm

Hey pete i went for a look up there today too and came to that same gate with padlocks and a private property sign - had a look at a couple of other possible tracks but they looked like bulldozed ones for the tree felling up there and were a bit slick and muddy to try by myself today!! I wasnt sure if i was in the right spot or not??? Ill be working during the days too but will keep in touch about going for a play - hope the turbo problem wont be a major for ya

Yeah that would have been me you saw bill with the jack on the roof racks - slowly starting to get a bit of gear for myself now :lol:

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:00 pm

hey conan just wondering if ya could give me a bitmore info ie when and where peopleare meeting, cost? and stuff for that meet and greet / training day thing on sunday - still keen to pop down if money allows it!! and my flat mate might come along in his MU to.

You had anyluck sourcing the problem with your turbo pete?

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:27 pm

hey man, sorry bout the delay,

meet at 10am its a full day, $15dollar gate fee sunday 20th
bring money for bbq lunch, think its land behind monstertucks and ralley
ill PM you cell numba for guy to call

Petemcc
Hard Yaka

Postby Petemcc » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:39 am

been working all week have my first day off tomoro and truck is going in then.

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:11 pm

sweet, wouldnt worry too much about going up to goldfields..... queenstown hill has every bit ofa challenge!!!! its one massive maze of tracks , reckon 10+ kms of trail at least!!!!, went up there today, finding new places all the time

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:49 pm

Yeah...hehe QT hill has some good stuff there..last time i was there i put a hole in sidewall of my tire and my mate was killin himself..never been 4x4in b 4 was a hoot..just got me truck warranted and rego'd for Sunday..just need some grunty tires now an i'm set..looking at Sumoto's(not sure if thats correct) or Simex but hey comes down to $$$ and since i got a weee engine i'll be looking at 33's not 35's..:( but hey I'm there for a Great time..lol BTW my truck is a Mitsi Pajero,PTO,LSD,Discs all round,tweaked torsion,etc..setting it up for a Competitve ride...lol (i hate loosing)Shouyld be a blast just to meet more guys and trucks etc..See you all there Sunday.Ops have got loads of spare parts for one of these..turbo's.alt's,clutch's etc etceven spare 4d55t longblock fully recond.(Oh i wish for the lexus ....)
I live an play in Qtown as well been here almost 2 years now with my family...My boyz are looking forward to Sunday also..See yazz

Big

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:31 am

hey big, welcome aboard. haha yeah thats QT hill, i swear everytime i go up there i end up going a totally different way than ever b4 :lol: expecting to come out at BP or caltex some days....
yeah sunday should be good, just training day though, learn about your truck and meet and greet the rest etc... PM if you want numba 4 weekend..

conan

penetrator
Hard Yaka

Postby penetrator » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:00 am

Well guys the $ isnt being kind to me so im going to have to give sunday a miss but will definitley have to catch up with you guys sometime and do a mission. Hope its a good for ya anyway and ill try and get along to the next club meeting and get into it!!

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:45 pm

yeah cool...Just got me Warrant and rego and when i was heading back to work i blew my fan belts...FKME i was like grrr anyways better now then in the hills..LOL should be a blast..will catch up at the gate..:D going on a quik drive up either macetown or Goldfeilds just for a look and test everything..LOL see if anything else breaks...hehe dam Mitsi's are peices of shit...but you get that...may the lexus forfill my dreams when i blow my mtr up..lol c yaz there

Big

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:36 pm

Hmm...just went up to Goldfeilds and got stuck twice...same hole going thro it then had to come back out...and guess what..was confronted by some dude saying all the land up there is Private...???? no sign but i didn push the issue and i did come across a locked gate so turned around..:( but i do respect farmers and there land so i left sayin i wouldn return....Just a thought..maybe i was in wrong place but is qtown hill private as well???Seeing i couldn go any farther Me and the boyzz went to Macetown..:D for the big test..went fine:P so should be a blast tomorrow.
C yaz there

Big

Conan
Hard Yaka

Postby Conan » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:22 am

everythings owned by some1 in QT :lol: , goldfields im unsure off, theres a few companys up there using it but depends if its paper road or private huh.. think there is a few owners between the two

QT hill is a good one, all tracks are extensions of the streets yet to be felled and sealed and a combo of service tracks for the lines...
big place man never had any confrontations, but guess ya just gotta make the call if you meet some1 claiming too be a "land owner"...

you found those tracks same way as me, word of mouth, so i say god bless ignorance :)

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”