Van on muriwai beach

Big-AL
Hard Yaka

Van on muriwai beach

Postby Big-AL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:35 am

Found this van yest at 2pm at rimmers road, looks like it had only been there for 1 tide.

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Re: Van on muriwai beach

Postby Andrew1706 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Great, another hazard to hit :roll: Is it right out the front of Rimmers? Hard to tell.

Wont take long and it will be gone, I've been up there before and known of three wrecks to avoid and now they're long gone.

Imagine how many vehicles are hidden under the sand along the 30oddkms worth of beach over the many decades that people have been using the beach....

Steve_t647
Hard Yaka

Postby Steve_t647 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm

It would have been nice to get it out if poss at that point and allow the council to collect it from above high tide, record the plate and pass on details to DOC or local council (whoever manages it) it will be 4wd users and motorbikes that get blamed for the fuel , oil stains, glass, rubbish and other poloution along the beach by the locals the more we can do to try help the council / DOC the better off we will be when the locals try again to restrict or deny access.

Would have been a bit of digging or just a strop over the roof and try pull it over to release the suction :twisted: well it will be a write off anyway, maybe it is something to get done one low tide if two or three ppl up there want to get into it otherwise when they dig up the dunes to remove it (and others) in years to come (after a storm usualy) and someone will look at the costs to keep the beach open and try close access.

Well restrict it to non powered vehicles like has happened with most of the beach access down here, you still have access so it is not closed.
Legal disclaimer: Any information I may have provided is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

IcedJohnno
Trailer Trash

Postby IcedJohnno » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Steve_t647 wrote:It would have been nice to get it out if poss at that point and allow the council to collect it from above high tide, record the plate and pass on details to DOC or local council (whoever manages it) it will be 4wd users and motorbikes that get blamed for the fuel , oil stains, glass, rubbish and other poloution along the beach by the locals the more we can do to try help the council / DOC the better off we will be when the locals try again to restrict or deny access.

Would have been a bit of digging or just a strop over the roof and try pull it over to release the suction :twisted: well it will be a write off anyway, maybe it is something to get done one low tide if two or three ppl up there want to get into it otherwise when they dig up the dunes to remove it (and others) in years to come (after a storm usualy) and someone will look at the costs to keep the beach open and try close access.

Well restrict it to non powered vehicles like has happened with most of the beach access down here, you still have access so it is not closed.

Totally agree with you Steve

fweddy
Hard Yaka

Postby fweddy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:13 pm

The problem is if you get any where near close you put your self in the same danger. MY father and a friend were up that way and came across a late Pajero and them and a few others were trying to help pull it out and they had to keep their vehicles moving. They would back up, hook the strop on and pull then after a bit of a tug and wheel spin take the strop off and move away. They had three vehicles on it and still no joy. In the end they had to leave it there while the owners waited for a tractor that was coming later in the day.

Apparently DOC had a late hilux they parked on the sand and went up the creek spraying, came back and it was in deep - all sandy on the inside! Ended up written off. They also got their older model hilux stuck and sinking trying to rescue the other, that was salvageable but was an insurance claim too.
Sold my 1985, BJ74 MWB Landcruiser, rear locker, 33" MTs, snorkel, PTO winch, solid bars all round, spotties, AM CB etc.
Now just a 1994, 1kz Surf, pretty standard.

Big-AL
Hard Yaka

Postby Big-AL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 pm

yeah i thought about trying to recover it, but i was out there by myself (and a few kids from school) with only one spade, a strop, and my winch. there were some fishermen hanging around for a while, but i decided to leave it. i would be willing to meet some guys out there on the weekend or tomorrow afternoon and drag it up to the car park or something?

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:45 am

I'd be keen just to cruise up and have a look at it, it'll probably be a bit further in the sand now it's been through a few tides.

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Went up there for a camp last night, didn't hit it :lol: But I think I drove past it, not much of it left if it was it and not a tree.

Was really quite soft there, I can see how it would get stuck.

T-Boon
Hard Yaka

Postby T-Boon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:08 pm

To dig up a bit of an old topic...

seen it happen quite a bit,

Usually they wait untill it sinks quite low, then cut the roof off, then its never to be seen again.

Anyone seen it lately?
To Boon or not to Boon.

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Nah it's long gone. Although saw one wreck like you say, just the pillars sticking up no roof just before the bombing range when I went up for a fish last weekend.

Hug-o
Hard Yaka

Postby Hug-o » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:10 am

T-Boon wrote:To dig up a bit of an old topic...

seen it happen quite a bit,

Usually they wait untill it sinks quite low, then cut the roof off, then its never to be seen again.

Anyone seen it lately?

Hahaha
Hugo -02102470477

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”