Eyre creek track Southland?

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Eyre creek track Southland?

Postby godzook » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Was thinking of doing Eyre creek Track on labour weekend and was wondering if any one can tell me if it was still open. i found something on the net about it and what it seemed like was the track was closed after the Shepherd Creek Hut

albundy
Rolly Polly

Re: Eyre creek track Southland?

Postby albundy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 am

Check on the OC website, I think they have info about it on there. may be wrong though.
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

KiwiMoose
Winch master

Postby KiwiMoose » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:51 am

We went up there in late March looking for Bambi and it had had some recent work done on the track beyond Shepherds Hut (tree cutting, banks smoothed out etc). We got to the top of the valley to find another fella parked up so came back down a ways. Of course, it may have changed since then but the same bloke said it was blocked back at Christmas when he tried so depending on how old your info is....

Al

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Postby godzook » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:00 pm

albundy wrote:Check on the OC website, I think they have info about it on there. may be wrong though.
I'm Guessing you mean DOC website

It just says

A 4WD track runs for 10km along the true-right bank of Eyre Creek to Shepherd Creek Hut (6 bunks). From there it is a 2 hour walk up the Eyre Creek to Dog Box Hut, or you can go by bike or horse.

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:31 pm

Eyre Creek is a place we go to relatively often. You can comfortably go about 7km beyond Shepherds Creek Hut, to about Little Jungle Creek. This is about 2km past Dog Box Hut. At that point, the track gets a bit more tricky, but is getting better with each visit from some of the local lads. I suspect we will get quite a bit further next time we are in there.

Some of the creek crossings are surprisingly deep too.

The track was blocked off at Christmas due to some windfall, but was cleared by some volunteer work. There is also a slip area that gets flattened out every now and then as well.

This is about 1km before Dog Box Hut.

Hope this helps.

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Postby godzook » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

thanks for that i might get a couple of mates together and head up 4 a look over labour weekend

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm

godzook wrote:thanks for that i might get a couple of mates together and head up 4 a look over labour weekend

How did you get on? Think the Southland Club are heading in there in a few weeks time...

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Postby godzook » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Didn't end up going in the end did Serpentine on Saturday and mace town on Sunday, and back home Sunday night, that was a long enough drive in a Suzuki for one weekend

KiwiMoose
Winch master

Postby KiwiMoose » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:51 am

We went in there for the weekend again, the trip to Shepherds Hut is pretty easy and beyond that a bit more fun, a few 2-3 feet deep river crossings and a small slope to get across.

There's a pretty clear track to the top of the main flats then a more serious route that tries to get a bit further up the valley that some folks have been trying recently. Not sure how far it goes.

Good trip, great valley and a nice hut in there too.

BrentC
Hard Yaka

Postby BrentC » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:18 am

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:50 am

KiwiMoose wrote:We went in there for the weekend again, the trip to Shepherds Hut is pretty easy and beyond that a bit more fun, a few 2-3 feet deep river crossings and a small slope to get across.

There's a pretty clear track to the top of the main flats then a more serious route that tries to get a bit further up the valley that some folks have been trying recently. Not sure how far it goes.

Good trip, great valley and a nice hut in there too.

I went in there saturday week ago (club trip) - turned around at a creek crossing where the track degenerates quite a bit (about a km past dog box hut). The actual track is blocked by some fallen trees (which is slowly being cleared) and some vehicles have forged a new track up the creek. It is a stretch of about 200m - beyond that is another clearing which I have not been beyond.

My understanding is that the original track goes much further, so it would be nice to keep opening that original track up again for continued use - it is a nice area.

terrano
Hard Yaka

Postby terrano » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Dragging up an old thread, has anyone done this trip recently? How far up can you get and whats the track like? I see on the doc website it is still the same, says you can get to the 1st hut than walk or bike the rest.

godzook
Driver/Navigator

Postby godzook » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:40 pm

Looking at going back on Labour Weekend if we get time. Last time I went which looking at my first post was 2009, well that was a long time ago. it was pretty easy going with a few washouts to drive round. I had some mates that went back 4 odd years ago and it was pretty much the same. The track does continue after the big hut. But i think it just stops in the river a few k's up the valley But doc says vehicles only go to he big hut

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Last I heard from some of the Shotover club was that the track had been opened up again well beyond the pinch point I recall getting to. Which was well past Shepherds Creek Hut and perhaps a km or so past dog box hut.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Yea that's about right Ross, was up there a month ago in the snow. Just enjoy the trip, keep to the track and you can't go wrong. Just watch the track near the very end, there is a hole that caught me out in the bush.
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

terrano
Hard Yaka

Postby terrano » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Awesome, cheers for the help. Will probably look at doing it in a month or so once i get another weekend off

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”