Alexander mine/powerhouse track opened up.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Alexander mine/powerhouse track opened up.

Postby albundy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:36 am

Did a trip into the Alexander mine/powerhouse off Snowy River road in behind Ikamatua over the weekend. River was very low so that took alot of the difficulty out of it. We still had to trailblaze some old track to get through. Anyway, its opened up now for clubs to use, grade four. Good camping spot at old stamper battery. We tried to open another track up that takes you to the old Waiuta (not the one your thinking) gold mine, but we came to an inpassable slip. Good fun track anyways. We have found another access track into this area that will require some raod work. It will be good to get this other track open in case some of the bridges go on the current one down to the creek. Good weekend, smashed the passengers mirror walking the pig up through the gorge and snapped the tierod shaft near the tierod. Bush repair and on our way. One of the VX's cleaned up his left side doors and all his flares.
Al
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Re: Alexander mine/powerhouse track opened up.

Postby PigFmr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

it was nice to see some kiwi history,good trip its well worth the trip up there,

fisho
Hard Yaka

Postby fisho » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:35 am

:D It was a good trip on the weekend.
Thanks Al, not many people around organizing these trips these days.
regards Flag.

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 am

Thanks Al, not many people around organizing these trips these days.

Yep your right there flag. Very little gets organised on here for the coast unless it's me and that is dwindling, and even club members don't seem to stepping up to the mark either much anymore. I just hope its one of those cycle things.
Al

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Hey Al
We did another trip in at Q/Bday. In & out as a day trip. Walked right up the ridge up past that big brake wheel we saw - up to 800m (just about the top of the hill) and found the old mine shaft.
Tracks getting better - still min 33's. Has to park up a safari on 31's and Terano on 32's. Just getting too smacked on the rocks. Got the prado out past the stump but the 'rano did the same job on his passenger side as I did to the cruiser! OW :cry: .
Steve.

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

drive it ... wrote:Hey Al
We did another trip in at Q/Bday. In & out as a day trip. Walked right up the ridge up past that big brake wheel we saw - up to 800m (just about the top of the hill) and found the old mine shaft.
Tracks getting better - still min 33's. Has to park up a safari on 31's and Terano on 32's. Just getting too smacked on the rocks. Got the prado out past the stump but the 'rano did the same job on his passenger side as I did to the cruiser! OW :cry: .
Steve.

Id love to see some pics of the mine shaft....i suspect most of the equiupment there is actually the Snowy River battery....they used to transport ore via an aerial cableway from waiuta to snowy river (I think the big brake/winch thingy is part of the cableway & thats why it goes straight down the valley & all the way to the creek)...but very hard to find info on that place.

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

albundy wrote:Did a trip into the Alexander mine/powerhouse off Snowy River road in behind Ikamatua over the weekend. River was very low so that took alot of the difficulty out of it. We still had to trailblaze some old track to get through. Anyway, its opened up now for clubs to use, grade four. Good camping spot at old stamper battery. We tried to open another track up that takes you to the old Waiuta (not the one your thinking) gold mine, but we came to an inpassable slip. Good fun track anyways. We have found another access track into this area that will require some raod work. It will be good to get this other track open in case some of the bridges go on the current one down to the creek. Good weekend, smashed the passengers mirror walking the pig up through the gorge and snapped the tierod shaft near the tierod. Bush repair and on our way. One of the VX's cleaned up his left side doors and all his flares.
Al

Hi Guys,sounds interesting,is the track easy to find as i wouldn't mind having a look,very interested in gold history and new tracks ..[for me ] ..lol..i'll be over in the next few weeks at the Caravan i have on the Coast so wouldn't mind checking out

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 pm

....i suspect most of the equiupment there is actually the Snowy River battery

No the snowy battery is down on the snowy river near Waiuta. There was a water race down to that battery from the Alexander. This mine is the Alexander mine which had its own battery up in the Alexander River. Nothing left of the battery but the cyanide tanks are still there and you can drive further up the valley and the old powerhouse is pretty intact. Take a look at topomap L31.

Track is pretty easy to find, it's as it shows on the map. Take 2 trucks tho and min 33 tyres, unless your a bloody legend :lol:

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:27 pm

drive it ... wrote:

No the snowy battery is down on the snowy river near Waiuta. There was a water race down to that battery from the Alexander. This mine is the Alexander mine which had its own battery up in the Alexander River. Nothing left of the battery but the cyanide tanks are still there and you can drive further up the valley and the old powerhouse is pretty intact. Take a look at topomap L31.

Track is pretty easy to find, it's as it shows on the map. Take 2 trucks tho and min 33 tyres, unless your a bloody legend :lol:

LOL..Cheers for that.Not a legend but try hard..been saved a few times..lol.mite take a look,i'll grab someone from over here

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:49 pm

drive it ... wrote:

Ive already been there ...went last yr with Al & others when it was opened up.

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Postby PigFmr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Queens bday 2010 wiv al and nc4wd club.
vince...

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Postby PigFmr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:48 pm

gps

s 42 19.377
e 171 56.396
elev 344

vince.....

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:26 pm

tallsam66 wrote:

It was opened up along time before that by myself and Paul Delis when there was no track and a year before that By Andi and myself.

And Malclom Higgin and myself went across the big slip 10 years before again.

So there is nothing new about the track.

Cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 pm

Bulletproof wrote:
tallsam66 wrote:

It was opened up along time before that by myself and Paul Delis when there was no track and a year before that By Andi and myself.

Cheers Richard

Maybe not for you guys,but it is for me..the old relics interest me more than the track to be honest [ that is why i do a lot of 4x4ing alone or with 1 other truck ] as i spend a lot of time checking and photographing things. Its 4x4ers like you that really help me to get into places [ i also keep tracks open though as i spend a lot of time in some very remote places ]

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 am

Bulletproof wrote:
tallsam66 wrote:

Cheers Richard

Don't worry, he's not trying to steal your glory. He never said that Al etc were the first to open the track, and as Furnace points out, there is plenty "new" about the track for those who haven't been through

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Quick question please how far along snowy river road do you go before turn into track,is it to the stamping battery or the Alex mine and disused power station..looking on the topo map it doesn't show track [ thats if i'm looking at the right place ] shows tracks to snowy stamper..any help be appreciated thanks ..lol

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 pm

furnace wrote:Quick question please how far along snowy river road do you go before turn into track,is it to the stamping battery or the Alex mine and disused power station..looking on the topo map it doesn't show track [ thats if i'm looking at the right place ] shows tracks to snowy stamper..any help be appreciated thanks ..lol

On a topo map you should see where the Alexander river crosses the Snowy rd. There is an S in the road at this point. The track is to the left just before that S bend.

It is only a little on from the Staircase road to the right that runs down to the Grey river.

There is no track drawn on a Topo Map. Don't go in by yourself if there is a threat of rain as one crossing would become impassable very quick
Hope this helps

Cheers Richard

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Bulletproof wrote:
furnace wrote:Quick question please how far along snowy river road do you go before turn into track,is it to the stamping battery or the Alex mine and disused power station..looking on the topo map it doesn't show track [ thats if i'm looking at the right place ] shows tracks to snowy stamper..any help be appreciated thanks ..lol

On a topo map you should see where the Alexander river crosses the Snowy rd. There is an S in the road at this point. The track is to the left just before that S bend.

It is only a little on from the Staircase road to the right that runs down to the Grey river.

There is no track drawn on a Topo Map. Don't go in by yourself if there is a threat of rain as one crossing would become impassable very quick
Hope this helps

Cheers Richard

Many thanks for that,probably grab some one from the coast just in case ..Cheers Furnace

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:38 am

On Dec 29 we have finally driven for the first time into the the Alexander Power house. It is about 400-500 metres further up the valley from the boiler with the big chimney.

There is not much left. Only a bit of concrete and a water race. It is an easy drive in about 40mins each way from the Snowy River Road.

Cheers Richard

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:03 pm

I would put money that you went further than the powerhouse to the inlet, the powerhouse proper would be the big remains back the 500meters from the inlet.
I hate signatures

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:18 pm

hosehustler wrote:I would put money that you went further than the powerhouse to the inlet, the powerhouse proper would be the big remains back the 500meters from the inlet.

Hi Tim

Next time you go in. Take a GPS and you will find the big remains are only a boiler and the powerhouse would have been a water wheel generator.

Paul and my GPS's both showed what we found was the powerhouse on the NZ topo 1/50,000 map

Someone else can confirm it with another GPS .

Cheers Richard

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I understood it was a steam generator.....was the boiler house for winching :?: I think an investment in a dash mounted GPS with all the latest topo maps is long overdue, what brand do you recommend Richard :?:
my hand held GPS can't be up to the task :o
I Will happily confirm within a short time once I purchase the necessary hardware/software :P
Tim
I hate signatures

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:08 pm

hosehustler wrote:I was under the "illusion" it was a steam generator.....was the boiler house for winching :?: I think an investment in a dash mounted GPS with all the latest topo maps is long overdue, what brand do you recommend Richard :?:
my hand held GPS can't be up to the task :o
I Will happily confirm within a short time once I purchase the necessary hardware/software :P
Tim

Hi Tim
Paul and myself have Garmin nuvi's. The Garmin is the only one that will run the latest official NZ 1/50,000 topo maps as far as I know that gives all the legal 4 wheel drive and walking tracks in NZ as well as the contour lines.

Here is a Map and you will see the powerhouse well up the valley and is on the edge of the river nearly opposite a side river. The big building is not far from the battery

Cheers Richard

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Cheers Richard,
I will contact Paul about where to purchase the Garmin as he's just around the corner from me here in Kaiapoi, I will have one sorted for our next trip.
What do you think the boiler house was for :?: winching I'm guessing :?:
I hate signatures

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:52 am

hosehustler wrote:Cheers Richard,
I will contact Paul about where to purchase the Garmin as he's just around the corner from me here in Kaiapoi, I will have one sorted for our next trip.

Hi Tim
You wil see on the map a collasped ropeway coming down the hill about where that boiler is so I would say it was the same as the one at Big river with the boiler working the wire

The powerhouse was more for lighting etc is my quess. Someone on here must know how these things worked

Cheers Richard

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 am

If you walk up that hill you will find the remains of the collapsed ropeway, the wheel is still up there. Also for the hunters, there are lots of deer up here.
Al

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 am

The Map I scanned and put on here is 17 years old and has more detail compared to the latest NZ 1/50,00 topo maps. The latest map dosen't show the collapsed ropeway.

Cheers Richard

tallsam66
Hard Yaka

Postby tallsam66 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 am

hosehustler wrote:Cheers Richard,

I recently brought a garmin nuvi 3760 ....it is the model that has the biggest capacity for storing waypoints & also tracks. Im running topo maps on it .....if you buy it soon you can still get lifetime free road updates for life ....i got it from harvey norman for $399 ..which is a real sharp price.

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”