Taupo area

92 safari 17
Hard Yaka

Taupo area

Postby 92 safari 17 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 pm

Im making the move from Cambridge to Taupo hopefully by the end of march and wondering if theres anyone on here from Taupo area that could tell me or show me the local 4wd track around Taupo area? 8)

cheers.
Hayden
Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. My Solution: Build a Tougher Truck

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Re: Taupo area

Postby Swamped » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:29 am

Go see klem at performance mechanical and engineering I think. He'll put you onto the club and any other drivers.
Otherwise Carl and his boss at taupo mechanical services might be able to help you out (Tauhara rd). Carl had a blue cut down 70series cruiser with 36 simexes last time I saw him.

Theres also a little zuk about with mud addict on the bonnet. I think grahams the owner. If you track him down hes a real good dude too. Works(ed) at wairakei. Knows a heap of tracks and is a good guide through pureora. I drove with them round tihoi road area which was real cool.

92 safari 17
Hard Yaka

Postby 92 safari 17 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Cheers doug for the reply :D
Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. My Solution: Build a Tougher Truck

Landynut
Hard Yaka

Postby Landynut » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:35 pm

awesome tracks around pureora :lol:

they just go on forever... forestry, bush, cutover...

some of those skidder holes will swallow ya tho, I opened up a few tracks near the doc field centre... one of em involved lots of windy slippery mud track with bogs, followed by a 40 metre long bog and then a washed out creek with veeerrry steep banks... there are thousands of tracks that arent even recognisable anymore, old logging tracks from the before-time . . .

if you want a quick jaunt with a view go up clements mill road and hang a left up the old quarry track about 5km from sika lodge. awesome view, I got my landy up there a few years back - made the mrs cry, dog jumped ship.. or was it the other way round? was quite washed out, big chasms where the road used to be . . .

beware the forestry between taupo/turangi - lots of dope growers . . . .
Landrover 4 Life - Best 4x4xfar

vinceparts
Hard Yaka

Postby vinceparts » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:56 pm

reviving an old thread, im heading to taupo this w.e and want a trail or some mud where i can take dirt bike or hilux offroad for a quick squirt

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”