Napoleon Hill Ruined !!

PigFmr
Hard Yaka

Re: Napoleon Hill Ruined !!

Postby PigFmr » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am

was is there yesterday,1st time for me,wot a great place my wife would of liked that trip,as for the hill yep he has made a mess from there on taking out trees etc,looked at pics before to see wot it was like before i went there,hill climb is not really hard to get up loads of mud and its deep,depends wot you drive i guess,its a shame to be honest what he has done ,going to take many years to look right again

vince

Taz
Hard Yaka

Postby Taz » Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 pm

What's it like in there now?
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." - Oscar Wilde
Work in progress - www.pearls.kiwi

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun May 04, 2014 7:35 pm

Before you guys jump too far it might pay to see what development grading the doc land has ... if it is only a 3 or less.... under consent your are more then welcome to drive a bulldozer through it.

No name road.(if its the one i think it is) is all harvested forestry?

Totara flat etc has alot of historic permited mining areas etc.

IT's to do with the revised RMA act ...you have nick smith to thank for this.

it was done for exploitation of resources etc ...not long ago there was a hoohaar over oil drilling on doc land....yea well the national party made it legal for private companies to operate private enterprise on public land.

prey to god they don't strike oil other wise there'll be sign posts everywhere saying pipeline road 1, pipeline road 2 etc etc.

THis is the person you want to complain too and make sure that the correct geographical name is used for the location.

Contact details

The parliamentary commissioner for the environment

To send us a complaint or to tell us what's happening, send an email to pce@pce.parliament.nz, or post your letter to Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, PO Box 10-241, Wellington, or fax to 04 495 8350. Please outline your concern briefly.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

russellsmithies

Postby russellsmithies » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:16 am

We're looking at doing some West Coast trips in Waitangi Week 2015, possibly Napoleon Hill if it's not too bad. Has anyone been thru there recently? What condition is the track in?
Any other good trips on the coast we should be considering?

thanx,

--Russell

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:Before you guys jump too far it might pay to see what development grading the doc land has ... if it is only a 3 or less.... under consent your are more then welcome to drive a bulldozer through it.

This thread is from 3 years ago... :-)
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 am

This thread (and some formal letters to DOC) was started to make it clear that the track damage was NOT caused by irresponsible recreational 4WD'ers. We get enough bad press from them without being held accountable for the type of damage caused here... However - as with all tracks on the West Coast - the bush regeneration is amazingly fast. I was last through there Labour weekend last year and it was recovering well, but the section affected will still become boggy when wet, and rutted when dry. However - it's still a fantastic area to explore, and the tunnels are something special.

Other tracks in the Reefton area:
Easy but long - Big River - interesting historical mining area - similar Waiuta closer but no real 4WDing
Petrol Hill - one of my favourites but need a winch and at least 2 trucks with appropriate recovery gear.
Harder challenges in plentiful supply if you are with someone who knows the area - Slab Hut Creek, Old Saddle Rd, Trev's Hill, Hayden's Hill, Koozes Track (if you like mud), Green Hut, Pylon Track (if Inangahua River not too high)

Mt Greenland (behind Ross) another good full day (+) outing should be good then as we'll be clearing the track (if required) in a couple of weeks. Again, at least two trucks with recovery gear...

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”