Chasing History

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Chasing History

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 am

Went on another trip this weekend to find some of the remains left behind from the construction phase of a major hydro power scheme back in the 1970's.

We were trying to follow the old haul road that had been bulldozed from the river where the gravel was mined, through to where it was processed, and finally onto the area it was used in constructing.

Back in the day, little thought was given to environmental concerns, if you needed a road, you made a road. If you needed rock, you went and mined the nearest source. If you needed a flat area to process and stock pile, you cleared the trees and bulldozed the area flat.

As a result, the scars left on the landscape are still clearly visible 30 years later.

The area were the rock was sourced down at the river was obvious, with a well graded two lane haul road winding its way out of the river up onto the flats. That was the end of the haul road we knew about. We wanted to find the other 20 odd K's of it.

Some serious effort was put into maps and calculations over the last few weeks and we located the start of the opposite end of the road, and that was our start point.

Straight away we knew we were onto the trail, the bed of the massive dual lane haul road was obvious even when covered in scrub.

Following this was straight forward until the first river crossing, which would once have been a nice wide ford with a well graded access on either side.

The access on our side was pretty much gone:

The track was just visible on the other side in the dead center of the pic but, obviously not used due to the washed out crossing. The river looked bouldery but very crossable:

So what to do?? Cross the bloody thing and continue of course!!!! Looking at the barely visible track on the opposite bank, the other side will be where it gets exciting!!!! I got busy guiding the "guinea pig" through the river so the only pic I got was UBZ dropping into the river bed :lol:

On the other side we found the processing area. Acres in size. Cleared flat. The Scrub was starting to get quite dense, so it was slow going with no defined track and a spotter walking infront of the lead truck looking for hidden obstacles. I don't have any pic's, was well busy behind the wheel, watching the GPS and on foot doing reconessence!!!

We knew we were on the money when we found this massive cutting that had been pushed through from the processing area down to the next river over.

Looking back up the cutting you can see how wide it would have been. Also quite a gentle gradient for the big trucks hauling heavy loads of gravel from the river for processing. Was cool to see the tussock getting well established!!!
You can see how soft the material the cutting wast put through is, and as a result the erosion is significant.:

If you really had nothing better to do, you could make it driveable without to much work, but once you get to the river, then what??

We had found the other end of the cutting on the opposite bank of the river previously, as well as the remains of the missing bridge over the river. We headed back out the way we had come and decided to go back round to the opposite side of the river to the big cutting. That in itself is a reasonable drive round on the main roads, then knowing where to go once you get off the beaten track!!!

This is the crossing we had done earlier, but approaching it from the other direction on the way out. The track is dead opposite on the far bank. Can't you tell??

Here we are approaching the massive cutting pictured earlier, but from the other side of the river on the haul road:

The scar from the cutting is like a big notch cut out of the ridge. The old road is to the left, the river has probably change course a fair bit over the last 30 years too. Getting down to the river from the other side would be hard but possible:

Getting down to the river from the side we were on is a job for explosives or a digger, and probably wouldn't last the next storm. Its a big drop!!!!

Either way, the goal was achieved except for a tiny gap in my GPS plot where we didn't cross the river. We had followed the old haul road through the sticks from one end to the other. It really was a great way to keep massive earth works hidden from everyone, even when it was all in full swing I doubt there would have been any visible indication it was all going on in the back ground!!!!!

Next up, we decided to follow an old construction road back out to the main road. The road would have been used for transporting materials in to begin constructing the bridge so machinery could be used in the haul road construction.
Another fine example of what you can do in a D8 Bulldozer when no one cares!!!!

I say they used a bulldozer as there is no attempt to control water flow, and its in one great big straight line as far as the eye can see :lol: :lol:

A few hours later we were back out on tar seal, and one of our crew left for home. This is always about the time we find the cool stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

We weren't disappointed this time either!!!!!

We followed a line on the map which used to cross a river and wind its way back out to meet the main road. Once long ago anyway. Where knew the crossing wouldn't be there, but once we came to the edge of the cliff above the river, we found the remains of a walking track complete with a guide wire partially burried under the scrub and the remains of some steps.

Of course we were up for a scramble!!!!

We started picking our way down the cliff towards the river, where there was a good sized terrace above it.

It wasn't long before we noticed this little gem (zoomed in on camera)!!!

A few meters further accross and down, it was clear it was an old foot bridge :D :D

Once we got down the cliff onto the terrace it was clear that it wasn't in regular use :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steps onto the bridge:

Looking accross:

A quick look under the bridge from both sides showed it was pretty well buggered, rotten structural timbers being the least of its issues :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Naturally, we had to risk creeping across it one at a time as it wobbled around under us. Horrible feeling, especially when even the railings are rotten and wobbly!!!

We found the vehicle track on the other side, so figure there must have been a decent suspension bridge across the river at that point to provide for vehicular access. No evidence of the bridge remained, so it got us wondering.

We restled our way back up the cliff to the trucks and went round and found the other end of the track and drove to within 100m or so of where we had walked to from the other side.

Good trip, found some cool places. So much to see and do :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tread Lightly 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

juz
Hard Yaka

Re: Chasing History

Postby juz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:59 am

Looks like an Awesome trip! cheers for writing it up DB. Always amazes me when Ive gone bush and find old logging or mining sites in the middle of nowhere.. 8) 8)
Softroader VW Amarok nowadays.... :roll:

tomsoffroad
Flopsie

Postby tomsoffroad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:38 am

Cool DB. I love the feeling of history when you find stuff like that, sometimes the air is thick with it.

We had a similar experience way up the Wilburforce river following Brownings attempted pass over the southern alps. Cruising up a big rock river then all of a sudden you come across a formed metal road with broken wagon wheels etc lying beside it.

Where are these pix taken?

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:24 am

nice!
are there any pictures floating around of this area when construction was going on?
seems like such a huge group of projects, yet I've never come across anyone that's worked on them. Apparently there was a lot of Italians? running drilling equipment and the likes for the underground stuff, but there must have been a hell of a lot of local guys working on these projects too.
awesome write up as usual! nice!

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 am

So I suffer from the same problem of driving and not taking enough pictures.
Whille is was waiting for the others to show up :roll: I did a bit of exploring .
This is why you dont let your kids drive , :wink: bloody great step appeared out of nowhere.
But it was worth the effort.

The track erosion was pretty bad.
Which at times resulted in reversing fun.
The Crossing

Defender Fun

Panorama

And yes DB wasnt joking, we did walk across that bridge.
Last edited by UBZ on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am

8)
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 am

COOOOLLLL :mrgreen: oh and jealous :evil:
1973 SWB Land Rover V8 Hybrid
1994 Toyota Surf

sig
Jeep Jeep

Postby sig » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:20 am

in laws have a bach not far from there at lake rotoaira .we try and explore as well when we are up there.awesome place .did some work for a builder a couple years back who worked on the power scheme and some of his stories are pretty cool
FJ40,INJECTED SB 406 CHEV, LOCKER,35 SIMEXS,warn winch , 80seies vx 4.2 24v turbo diesel ,fr and rear lockers 3" exh top mount intercooler, 021 724482

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 am

the Mrs wants a 90 to take the kids around in.... shame I cant afford it :-(
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”