reefton labour weekend 2011...

niblik
Sausage Shack

reefton labour weekend 2011...

Postby niblik » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 pm

i've started this thread as a way to document our trip and a central place to locate all our photos and videos.. chuck them up lads..

it all started with a want to get out pedallin again.. talked wheelin with some mates then an invite was thrown my way.. "reefton and maybe the chasm?" they said. oh it was awn!

friday arvo, all fuelled up and away.. arrive in reefton with the disco inferno and the fawdy, jase in his 60 with his colonel on the back to meet up with kbjj settin up camp round his nissan d21 mutation.. couple more mates turn up later that night to finish the crowd..

at camp..

set up camp and then sure enough, true to weather predictions it rains overnight reasonably heavily and constantly.

awaken in the morning to a slight light smattering of rain but to be honest, its nothing compared to the weather report had been predicting for the whole weekend. rain on rain. glee me thinks! a quick but relaxing breakfast and off into the business part of the trip.. slab hut creek and a couple of other local tracks around there to 'bed our trucks in'.. :wink:

luckily for us this was the plan, pre chasm, for as we enter one of the tracks, one chap drives possibly a maximum of 40 metres into the track and snaps off all his wheel studs on a front wheel.. :shock: managed to winch him out of the way after tryin to strop a large log under his front leaf to lift said broken corner.. he told us to leave him there as another mate went to drop him off to his tow vehicle for him to source replacement parts and we continued on our way..

later along the trip the time came to use my lockers and as i switched the rear on, i heard air leaking and my pump kept pumpin.. not cool. upon closer inspection i found that when i had my panhard issue from an earlier trip, my body had moved in relation to the front diff and pinched my rear lockers airline. :evil: with a bit of thinkin i thought about a larger airline to sleeve it, trim the line nicely and superglue together. luckily this got my rear locker goin again. much woot ensued. pic'd below..
aside from springing a power steerin cooler leak and having to bypass that and refill the reservoir, all was back to goodly. even the westcoast sun came out to play and things soon got toasty.

with a few more hours of wheelin under our belts that day we headed back to camp at around 5 to prepare for the next day. the chasm. back at camp we met back up with the unfortunate chap from earlier with the snap and go front studs. he had to travel to greymouth to be able to get some studs to suit the repairs, had done so and was now mobile again. well done that man.

we had decided a reasonably early start was best so we were up at 6 to cook a decent breakfast then off to the chasm entrance.. twas another awesome day weather wise.. as we entered the chasm there were weka running around and being sooo tame its not funny. wicked.. anyhoo, we headed on in and enjoyed the massive wash outs and shail and rockyness of the territory.. i must admit i never got any footage bar the one pic my daughter got of the fawdy parked at the bottom of the chasm and another at the exit.. :roll: :oops: like i've said before though, i was too busy drivin. others hopefully have. as we went down into the chasm it was the unfortunate luck of the guy that did his studs from the earlier day to snap a cv on the way down.. :shock: later goin through the twin boggy exit of the chasm section he blew another.. :shock: :shock: fixed that one also.. out of the 6 of us, some went the high road and some went the low road (those that have done the chasm will know what i mean..). we stopped just at the end of the bog section to have a bit of lunch and discuss the fun thus far. at this point a little weka jumped out of the bush and walked down the track where we had just been checkin out the freashly churned soil for food. was so humbling to be sharing that habitat and environment. good fun.

heading downhill after the chasm was a lot of fun headin through some wooded areas and out onto a creek type washout where there was a lot of clay to trip some punters up.. i spotted a different line that i want to attempt next time i go back.. through more bush and there was plenty of tight twisty stuff combined with mud, tree roots, ruts, of camber and so much more. really the chasm is a special place.

the fawdy and the colonel..

after exiting the chasm, we got back to our tow vehicles and met up with the farmer that owned the land around there. truely good bloke that was rapt to hear we had a ball..

next day and it was a relaxed start as the weekend had flown by all too fast. a morning pedal was the go so we went off to do a track off the ridge of a track we had spotted on the saturday.. dropped into it with some good washouts of one rut and straddling till there was no option and into the rut and go styles. some good ole clay mudded gloop flingin as engines rev'd and wheels spun. through here kbjj decided to load up his now modded stronger transfer by riding his brakes to get the lsd workin and heard a terrible loud clap sound. cv. bein a rather shizenhouser place to change it he winched out till there was an area for which jase could get around him to tow him out as we were nearly all the way out.. typical huh? whilst winching out of the ruts to get around kbjj, jase's winch spooled slightly askew and having that pto grunt, snipped its wire rope when spoolin where it shouldnt have. dammit. lucky he had plenty on there and reeled out somemore and used kbjj's little wire clamp doohickey number. thats their name, no really.. :P :mrgreen: we got around and out with no further hiccups..

we headed back to camp with a smile on our dials and a hunger for wheelin satiated.

although.....

i feel a slight gnawing in my gut. i think i feel the hunger returning...
ImageImage

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Re: reefton labour weekend 2011...

Postby petefj40 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:05 am

Sounds like you lot had a ball nibs.
Would be good to see some videos and more pix.

"i spotted a different line that i want to attempt next time i go back.."

Let me know when. :D

muddy
Hard Yaka

Postby muddy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 am

Good timely post for me. Heading to Reefton this afternoon with no firm plans. It's Marlborough Anniversary on Monday so we've got 7 trucks for 3 days of tracks. Planning the pylon track from the inangahua river Sat morning and petrol hill for the arvo. After that? Might have to look at the chasm as I've never done that one...

ClassicCruiserSpares
Sausage Shack

Postby ClassicCruiserSpares » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:38 am

Ok here are some pics and vids i took.

This was the first breakage when the wheel studs sheared off, and was this truck that broke the cvs going in and out of the Chasm.

This was one of the tracks we done on the first day around slab hut.

Those of you that know this track will know how ruff and steep it actually is.

Nibby flexing up!

The colonel having a crack.

This is the first washout at the start of the chasm and once again those of you that have been here will know how steep it is.

Going down into the chasm.

Nibby getting some winch time.

The Colonel playing in the clay.

It was an awesome weekend away had a blast, I took hours of vids on the front of my truck can post more if people want to see them just takes a while to load.
Toyota Landcruiser FJ40, front and rear lockers, 35" simex.
Toyota FJ45 build in progress.
Tires are like boobs, they always look big until you have played with them for a while, then you just want a bigger set.

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:31 am

loving the vids jase.. 8)
ImageImage

pouw
Hard Yaka

Postby pouw » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:18 am

Awesome work on the vids and the trip report. Never been on that trip but looks very cool :)
1986 2.5L TD Pajero

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:19 pm

O for awesome :D
:D
Outta the way sheep shagga !!!!

kbjj
Sausage Shack

Postby kbjj » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Said big tree

What we've called Clay Bank, but known as Slab Hut Creek
I had to winch a short section

CCS cruised up

Scott made it a foot further than me, much to hs pleasure :lol: before a short winch

Nibby just showed off

He even had strangers taking photos back at camp

1st climb heading into the Chasm

Dan and his far kin open diffs

My boy having a ride in the colonel, with a huge grin

Great weekend, great crowd. I would like to take a bigger chainsaw and clear that tree next time we're over there, and maybe do the Chasm backwards
If you break it... build it stronger.

Andrew1706
Hard Yaka

Postby Andrew1706 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:19 pm

I've been to Reefton recently in a Corolla :(

And I've tried to get a job anywhere from Westport, Reefton and back down to CHCH and can't get anything :evil:

This thread is why I wanna move there!

petefj40
Ms Daisy

Postby petefj40 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Wicked!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 am

great pics and write up, i'm heading over for show weekend, pretty much same tracks 8)
I hate signatures

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 am

At the top of slab hut track (well where the road turns into a freeway anyway), and down the road about 2-3 clicks there used to be a turn off on the right hand side that took you into green door hut. (well thats what I knew it as anyways). Does anyone know if it is still accessable?
Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Shane
Hard Yaka

Postby Shane » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Cant see the pic/vids from CCS :( can see the rest no probs

Cheers Shane

Bulletproof
Hard Yaka

Postby Bulletproof » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:04 pm

rokhound wrote:At the top of slab hut track (well where the road turns into a freeway anyway), and down the road about 2-3 clicks there used to be a turn off on the right hand side that took you into green door hut. (well thats what I knew it as anyways). Does anyone know if it is still accessable?

Yes that is still accessible. More washed out than it used to be so is a nice short drive in and out.

cheers Richard
Never say die, up man and try

ice4x4
Hard Yaka

Postby ice4x4 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:40 pm

Great pics and videos. Looks like a great weekend. :D
1988 Range Rover Classic
2010 Discovery 4 HSE 5.0 V8

[img]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg303/eastw77/2_zpse514cc6c.gif[/img]

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:07 pm

memories :( ...last drove those tracks in the reefton challenge :lol: . Hopefully Tim, you'll have similar planned after xmas for me. Can we leave on boxing day please :D , don't need to be back here until the 4th :( .
AL
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

MNC
Hard Yaka

Postby MNC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:04 pm

kbjj wrote:My boy having a ride in the colonel, with a huge grin

Looks like this was a mint trip - Loved those vid's ! What a mint place to put a camera 8)

fisho
Hard Yaka

Postby fisho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 pm

That rocks still waiting down by the waitahu river if you want to come back and shift it Al.

hosehustler
Hard Yaka

Postby hosehustler » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 pm

:lol:
fisho wrote:That rocks still waiting down by the waitahu river if you want to come back and shift it Al.

:lol:

""KISS ME""

Will see you at show weekend flag and chat to you about xmas/new year plans, Al and family are coming back to NZ for a holiday and i've got time off for once.
See you next weekend :mrgreen:
I hate signatures

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”