QUICK TRIP TO OLDMAN RANGE & MACETOWN

furnace
Hard Yaka

QUICK TRIP TO OLDMAN RANGE & MACETOWN

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Helen and i have just got back from a quick trip to Central Otago...Didn't start off well as we hit a patch of diesel coming down the hill to Whataroa and went over the bank [ lucky only doing about 50kph ] the locals that were following were marvelous [ thanks to a lady who was incredible & to Gary deans ] we got the Jeep turned around in the scrub and winched off Gary's Pajero..out we popped with out to much damage..
Based ourselves at Alexandra...headed up the Old Man Range Tuesday but the old Jeep stopped about a k from the top,glided back down and got checked,a stuffed Crank Sensor,Davies Auto ordered a new one from Ch for Saturday,so we went to Benego and checked out the sites there [ motor was only cutting out when hot ] also went to the Wanaka AMP show [ that was great ]
The sensor turned up late Saturday night & Brendon fitted at 8am Sunday,howz that for a service [ doz of speights ] We headed back up the Range but by this time it was pissing down [ hence not many Jeep photo's Hele told me to get stuffed ..lol..] the track was bloody wet and muddy but not to bad the bogs on Whitecoombe were deep..meet some of the Clutha 4x4 club they were having a ball,great bunch of Guys and ladies,we were up there for about 12 hours dark by the time we got back
Had a couple of goes at getting to Macetown the river was right up,my elbow touching the water when crossing under the pipe line,so pulled the pin and went next day,the river was a lot better but still up to the windscreen under the pipe line.A Really good trip up there nice and easy,the rivers were all down on the way back..We didn't get to the Godley as we run out of time

Note here.. the Southern Oldman range has a gate locked not far after crossing Coal Pit Road..at the second stock yards where there is 2 gates close together..the second gate is locked.i think the farmer got sick of people not sticking to the track..i think you can ring and get the key..not sure though
Attachments
DSCF6599.JPG
Over the bank
DSCF6649.JPG
Hele on gate duty..Oldman Range
DSCF6651.JPG
Heading up Oldman Range
DSCF6660.JPG
Benego
DSCF6669.JPG
Bendego
Last edited by furnace on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

curly12
Hard Yaka

Re: QUICK TRIP TO OLDMAN RANGE & MACETOWN

Postby curly12 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:56 pm

furnace wrote:Davies Auto

Yep baby, this mate of mine and I used to drive over the top of MT greenland to the end and back, many years ago... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Farken homeless..................................

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm

More photo's
Attachments
DSCF6672-001.JPG
On Oldman Range
DSCF6673.JPG
Oldman Rock
DSCF6695.JPG
Hele at the small hut just before Potters Turn off
DSCF6699-001.JPG
Looking over to potters
DSCF6703-001.JPG
Potters in the pissing Rain

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Still more photo's
Attachments
DSCF6709.JPG
Potters..Hele
DSCF6714-001.JPG
Whitecoomb Road
DSCF6724-001.JPG
Southern Oldman Range
DSCF6722-001.JPG
Southern Oldman Range
Last edited by furnace on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:21 pm

STILL A FEW MORE
Attachments
DSCF6810.JPG
Hele and i
DSCF6808.JPG
DSCF6814-001.JPG
DSCF6782-001.JPG
On the way to Macetown
DSCF6791-001.JPG
Macetown

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:38 pm

couple more
Attachments
DSCF6688-001.JPG
DSCF6828-001.JPG
Hele

zephyrheaven
Hard Yaka

Postby zephyrheaven » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Great pics! Cant wait to get up there one day

Be careful near the tower esp with what kind of alarm / immobiliser you have - can mess with them & leave you stranded in a bad way

Cheers

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:42 pm

zephyrheaven wrote:Great pics! Cant wait to get up there one day

Be careful near the tower esp with what kind of alarm / immobiliser you have - can mess with them & leave you stranded in a bad way

Cheers

Cheers for that..The Old Jeep is pretty basic..lol..

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:51 am

What access like into those track? Can you do them byburself if u dont have a winch? Bloody awesome photos cant wait to get done there

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 am

The snow obviously had all gone up at Obelisk then. It got rather covered 3 weeks ago while we were working near by..
Never heard the one about imobilzers near transmission towers.. its a bugger for us that work on them.. I think you'll find its not true..

What condition was Whitecoombs in?? or did you not go down from potters to Piano flat
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

UBZ
Hard Yaka

Postby UBZ » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 am

your a damn lucky fulla .
Mt Hercules has some nasty drop offs!!!

great photos , will be Heading that way in a few weeks time.
LR110 ..... LJ50 project :roll:
Chris.

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:42 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:What access like into those track? Can you do them byburself if u dont have a winch? Bloody awesome photos cant wait to get done there

The access and tracks are good as in the dry a bit tricky in the wet,Oldman Rock & Oldman range are not a problem unless snowing,..i wouldn't do Whitecoombe road alone unless got full recovery gear..you will have a ball
A ps here i would carry a bit of recovery gear though if you are on your own...very definitely a good shovel,maybe hi lift jack,and some to tow [ maybe some one up there ] just to be on the safe side
Last edited by furnace on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:54 pm

callum007 wrote:The snow obviously had all gone up at Obelisk then. It got rather covered 3 weeks ago while we were working near by..
Never heard the one about imobilzers near transmission towers.. its a bugger for us that work on them.. I think you'll find its not true..

What condition was Whitecoombs in?? or did you not go down from potters to Piano flat

I went from potters about 5 k's [ took wrong track it was pissing down and foggy as ..lol..] Everything was boggy as,the bog holes deep,but the track didn't seem to bad..The Jeep is nice a light so was not to bad in the bogs [ had less trouble than when i took the Cruiser last time ]...I turned around and come back so did the bloody bog twice..lol.. i was wanting to do Southern Oldman Range this time..I do carry a lot of good recovery gear as i 4x4 a lot on my own [ i like having a good look around,so do a bit of walking which you cant do in groups i've found ]

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:05 pm

UBZ wrote:your a damn lucky fulla .
Mt Hercules has some nasty drop offs!!!

great photos , will be Heading that way in a few weeks time.

Very lucky,gave us a hell of a fright..the locals told us some one goes off the road in that spot every month ...very smooth tar seal and diesel being the problem...stretched our relation ship for a couple of hours ...lol..

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:12 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:What access like into those track? Can you do them byburself if u dont have a winch? Bloody awesome photos cant wait to get done there

Tracks closed between late march and early october. I have done countless trips around these ranges and the serpentine. Some of the best country ever. You can actually travel from Bannockburn along the Old woman range, old man range and down to piano flat, 4wheeling. you can also get into the Nevis half way along, but trust me it aint for the faint hearted. These main tracks have gotten easier over the years, doc filling in holes etc. The gate has been locked for a few years now. Whitcombe road down to flat was made a heap easier after the rollover deaths several years ago. That used to be straight down, or straight up. Don't think you can do that anymore. It's an awesome mountain range to tackle in snow. There would be heaps of old pics on this site about our trips down there.
AL
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 pm

albundy wrote:

Tracks closed between late march and early october. I have done countless trips around these ranges and the serpentine. Some of the best country ever. You can actually travel from Bannockburn along the Old woman range, old man range and down to piano flat, 4wheeling. you can also get into the Nevis half way along, but trust me it aint for the faint hearted. These main tracks have gotten easier over the years, doc filling in holes etc. The gate has been locked for a few years now. Whitcombe road down to flat was made a heap easier after the rollover deaths several years ago. That used to be straight down, or straight up. Don't think you can do that anymore. It's an awesome mountain range to tackle in snow. There would be heaps of old pics on this site about our trips down there.
AL

Depending how deep the snow is..i used to always do late in the season,got stuck once for over 8 hours in the bogs and snow..i had a very capable wagon to,5' lift simexs and ARB lockers..winched using spear tyre,bloody hard work [ have a good ground anchor these days ...lol..] This little trp is only second one i've done in summer, i've be been on these tracks for about 30 years now and yes they are a lot better these days,still think Whitcoombe shouldn't be taken to lightly
Was told by the Clutha club that Doc have closed Oldwoman range
I think you can still go up there till end of may,unless changed very recently

albundy
Rolly Polly

Postby albundy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:36 pm

[quote="Was told by the Clutha club that Doc have closed Oldwoman range
I think you can still go up there till end of may,unless changed very recently[/quote]
That's a real shame, knew it would happen one day.
rain, hail, sleet or snow, we go!

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Had a nosy along Old Woman at Xmas. You can only go about 6 or 7 k's from Duffers Saddle then theres a gate with no vehicle access sign. :( -had been hoping to see if we could get across to the Old Man. Couple of trailbikes came over the hill and through the gate just after we turned round. Not locked but usual story -one or two will ignore the sign and next thinng the whole area locked down.

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

WouLd anyone be keen for a trip in nov-dec to show me round? That and in jan-feb is about only time i get off when its open? Might start a thread closer to the time

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 pm

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:WouLd anyone be keen for a trip in nov-dec to show me round? That and in jan-feb is about only time i get off when its open? Might start a thread closer to the time

If its on my days off i'd been keen for a couple of days [ i work 4 on 4 off ]

KIWI_TERRANO
Hard Yaka

Postby KIWI_TERRANO » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:38 am

I work a 8n 2 but can make it 4 day weekend or weekdayend haha

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:07 am

KIWI_TERRANO wrote:I work a 8n 2 but can make it 4 day weekend or weekdayend haha

Just keep in touch on here..work days off closer to the time..lol..

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”