Vandy Road and Pureora

Rangielux
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangielux » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:30 am

Yes it's best not to make a bitter enemy of the cocky up there. I think Vandys is actually a paper road (see below) the survey lines. The black line coming up from the bottom is the actual Doc boundary (I believe) and you can see the surveyed road. What that means you can or cannot do up there I don't know :?: If it is a paper road then you are dealing with council property.
Just be carefull not to stand on toes wearing a ORE hat :? . Perhaps a quick call to one of the guys in the Waikato 4wd club (who have done alot in that area before - PM me and I can give a contact) would be productive - may even get some more help.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:37 am

Checked at work and it is a paper road according to our database and maps :wink:

Provided we stick to certain criteria we can undertake the works as a permited activity under the Waikato Regional Plan and keep out of trouble should it come looking......

5.1.4.11 Permitted Activity Rule - Soil Disturbance, Roading and Tracking and Vegetation Clearance
Unless otherwise provided for by Rules 5.1.4.14, 5.1.4.15, 5.1.4.16 and 5.1.4.17, soil disturbance, roading and tracking, and vegetation clearance and any subsequent discharge of contaminants into water or air are permitted activities subject to the conditions in Section 5.1.5.

5.1.5 Conditions for Permitted Activity Rule 5.1.4.11 and Standards and Terms for Controlled Activity Rules

Text appearing in green identifies those parts of the plan that are the subject of references to the Environment Court. Please email us for further information on legal status.

Organic material shall not be placed in fill where its subsequent decomposition will lead to land instability.

Erosion/sediment controls shall be installed and maintained on all earthworks during and on completion of the works to avoid the adverse effects of sediment on water bodies.

Cut-offs or culverts shall be designed and installed to prevent scour, gullying or other erosion.

Any erosion or instability to the coastal environment, or the beds of rivers and lakes or wetlands shall be avoided, or remedied if it does occur.

The activity shall not result in neighbouring land becoming subject to flooding.

All disturbed vegetation, soil or debris shall be deposited or contained to prevent the movement of disturbed matter so that it does not result in:

the diversion, damming or blockage of any river or stream, or
the passage of fish being impeded, or
the destruction of any habitat in a water body or coastal water, or
flooding or erosion.

The activity shall not disturb any archaeological site or waahi tapu as identified at the date of notification of this Plan, in any district plan, in the New Zealand Archaeological Association’s Site Recording Scheme, or by the Historic Places Trust except where Historic Places Trust approval has been obtained.

The concentration of suspended solids in any discharge arising from this activity shall comply with the suspended solids standards as set out in Method 3.2.4.5. This condition applies only to permitted activity rules.

Any discharge of contaminants into air arising from the activity shall comply with the permitted activity conditions in Section 6.1.8 except where the matters addressed in Section 6.1.8 are already addressed by conditions on resource consents for the site.

In the event of any waahi tapu that is not subject to g) above being identified by the Waikato Regional Council to the person undertaking the activity, the activity shall cease insofar as it may affect the waahi tapu. The activity shall not be recommenced without the approval of the Waikato Regional Council.

No storage or mixing of fuels, oils, or agrichemicals shall be undertaken in areas where deliberate or inadvertent discharge is likely to enter any permanent natural surface water body.

All vegetation that is being felled within five metres of a perennial water body shall be felled away from the water body, except edge vegetation, or vegetation leaning over a water body, which if necessary may be felled in accordance with safety practices.

All exposed areas of soil resulting from the activity shall be stabilised against erosion by vegetative cover or other methods as soon as practical following completion of the activity and no later than six to twelve months from the date of disturbance to avoid the adverse effects of sediment on water bodies.

The activity shall not be located within 20 metres of a significant geothermal feature that is regulated by Rules 7.2.6.1 and 7.2.6.2.

Advisory Note:

Where a waahi tapu site is identified whilst undertaking the activity, the process that Environment Waikato will follow in order to implement condition/standard and term (j) is set out in Section 2.3.4.22 of this Plan.

Black lines show paper road

You can see the road boundary continuingf from the highlighted end of the formed section of Vandy road
Last edited by DieselBoy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

Rangielux
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangielux » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:52 am

There you go - all official like(lucky ORE has a mole on the inside :wink: ).

But jeez DB I hope you're not implying (with regards to a Topomap) that the black dotted lines are all paper roads. A lot are just no more than farm roads and races - if you imply that you have legal access on those black roads on a topo map you'll get half the 4wd owners in NZ trying to drive on them causing all sorts of havoc :shock: .

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:55 am

The thing is alot of them are!!!!! :shock: :shock:

zuky
Bush Crasher

Postby zuky » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am

DB do you have the photo from above the slip? And from your secret files do you have the name of the cocky at the the bog end (top of vandy rd) it would be nice to touch base with him and keep him on side. If we're realy nice he may even let us go on his farm track around the bog :D That way we don't upset that first bog which is a good general deteront to the general public using the track unprepared which may well halp our relationship with him/her :wink:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:24 pm

Yep, i have all that sort of stuff, and if we have a file on that farmer, then will have phone numbers etc.

To make sure i get thge right details:

Thats the farmer at the end of the formed section of the road?

What is the name of the road which the track joins at the other end??

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:35 pm

Thats about as good as the photos get..........

zuky
Bush Crasher

Postby zuky » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:46 pm

I'll find out what the road at the other end is. That's a good pic of the slip though. Pretty hand info to have at work :) If you look at the topo with a the pink GPS log over view you can see at the end of (forme) Vandy road there is two buildings (black squares) The cocky we need to talk to is the one on the right his house is the last house on road. He has a 4wd in his drive way (next to his scary looking dogs) so he might be alright. We've only heard that he is a grump bastard from the guy at the other end. Last time we went there we took a while winching through the first bog and no one came out chasing us. But there was a guy further round in a padock who waved :D Taking any equipment in (even our trucks) would be quicker over the farm letting us concentrate on the slip digging. If you get his details I'll get brave and give him a call :oops:

zuky
Bush Crasher

Postby zuky » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:48 pm

Make that the one on the left :oops:

Its to the right as you drive through the first bog. Thinking about it some more that bog at the formed road end was quite man made looking :shock:

Ben
Hard Yaka

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:23 pm

dixie wrote:Hey Ben any chance of chatting to the other cocky you know and teeing up access from his side?

I'm not sure its dry enough to go over his farm. He did mention going when its dry and not lambing / calving season... Theres also all the hard stuff between his place and the slip so it would probably take all day to get there.

I think the best option is to try to contact the farmer at the start out of courtesy, then attack it from that end.
It does look like he's dug the bog to stop anyone and everyone going up there.
There is a small tree to winch back out on, and we have a ground anchor.

The name of the road to the other end is Makomako road, and according to that farmer Vandy's is definately a paper road.

Rangielux, what program are you using to get those aerial photos with overlays?

And DieselBoy, you shall now be known as the 4WD-FBI.. where the hell did you get all that guff?? Good stuff.

Ben

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:35 pm

:wink: I work for Environment Waikato man, so got all sorts of stuff for the waikato region :lol:

I deal with forestry and earthworks consents, so it ties i quite nicely 8)

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 pm

DieselBoy wrote::wink: I work for Environment Waikato man, so got all sorts of stuff for the waikato region :lol:

I deal with forestry and earthworks consents, so it ties i quite nicely 8)

i better not let slip what happens at work then :D

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:47 pm

Nah, i only deal with specific sites and complaints from the Raglan region so its all good man :lol:

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:05 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Nah, i only deal with specific sites and complaints from the Raglan region so its all good man :lol:

whew i can breathe easy then

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:47 pm

Rangielux wrote:Just be carefull not to stand on toes wearing a ORE hat :? .

I'm not wearing an ORE hat. Dont quite get your meaning there Rangielux. If someone else were wearing one, why would anyone be stepping on their toes? Do i need permission from a 4wd club?

coxsy
Hard Yaka

vandy road

Postby coxsy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:58 pm

i found out about this road in andy cockrofts 4wd offroad adventures published 2002 so more than a few people will know the road is there and could be drivable , all we want to do is make it more so , don't see a problem with that me self

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:19 pm

nor do i mate. If us clearing the track benefits all the 4wd community, i hardly see that anyone should get their "toes stood on", or noses out of joint.

Rangielux
Hard Yaka

Postby Rangielux » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:21 pm

xj wrote:
Rangielux wrote:Just be carefull not to stand on toes wearing a ORE hat :? .

I'm not wearing an ORE hat. Dont quite get your meaning there Rangielux. If someone else were wearing one, why would anyone be stepping on their toes? Do i need permission from a 4wd club?

I mean the cockies toes bro :? . They can get alittle bit precious about those places at times and kick up a helabalu (as it sounds like this guy has in the past). Any 4wder will be happy about any improvements you or whoever can make to the track to get it usable. And I mean if a group connected to ORE go up and do things, then dont they represent the ore 4wd community by default (the same as any other group does)

you almost sounded alittle bit stroppy there xj :(

Ben - http://www.maphost.co.nz/ew/hosted_site.asp I think ? - try that

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:26 pm

xj wrote:
DieselBoy wrote:Go for a nosey with XJ and Dixie this weekend up Thompsons. The are new to the sport aswell, and a good laugh to!!!!!

I'm sorry DB, who is new to the sport? I was about 5 when i first sat in a 4x4 and rode over farm tracks, forestry roads and sand dunes. (parents were part of the hokianga 4x4 club) I grew up farming in the far north and what we didnt do off horseback, was done on an fj40 or a seriesII landy. I first drove a 4x4 when i was 12, a crappy old dunga zuk. were you even born then?

And im more of an asshole than a good laugh! Dont be so presumptious!

I think this sounds closer to stroppy Rangielux :wink:

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:33 pm

Not stroppy Rangielux, just straight to the point.

The only person i would be representing is myself, im not a flag bearer for anyone else.

Sure, we dont want to upset the dude, and it would be nice to be able to communicate amicably with him. stories ive heard is that he dont take kindly to windscreens and headlights, maybe only stories, who knows.

However, the fact remains that at the end of the day he can get as stroppy as he likes, but it aint his land. If the stories are true, then there may be problems, noone deserves to have their property damaged esp when not doing anything wrong. All we can do is open the lines of communication and play it from there. I got no hair and tattoos too, im happy to go talk to the dude.

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:36 pm

DaveM wrote:
xj wrote:
DieselBoy wrote:Go for a nosey with XJ and Dixie this weekend up Thompsons. The are new to the sport aswell, and a good laugh to!!!!!

I'm sorry DB, who is new to the sport? I was about 5 when i first sat in a 4x4 and rode over farm tracks, forestry roads and sand dunes. (parents were part of the hokianga 4x4 club) I grew up farming in the far north and what we didnt do off horseback, was done on an fj40 or a seriesII landy. I first drove a 4x4 when i was 12, a crappy old dunga zuk. were you even born then?

And im more of an asshole than a good laugh! Dont be so presumptious!

I think this sounds closer to stroppy Rangielux :wink:

Hehe - no, that's just setting the record straight. :shock:

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:24 pm

i thought you were having me on when you said you were ugly XJ..
taller than your hair and tats.. i'll bring my handcuffs.??
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:29 pm

handcuffs??????? You getting 4wding mixed up with erotica expo bro, "mud track" is thommos, not the chocolate starfish.

DaveM
Hard Yaka

Postby DaveM » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:47 pm

You north island boys are getting me worried.
They say ribbed condoms are big sellers up there, looks like its only so you get more traction when playing in the "mud" :lol: :lol:

coxsy
Hard Yaka

the road

Postby coxsy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:54 pm

I can see that someone can be possive of their patch, hate boy races and their noisey cars up my street , i can bitch about it but i don't own the roads , for me it's not worth the stress worring about it ,
Last edited by coxsy on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 pm

Meh, what do ya expect from a Jeep driver :lol:

Its a mint idea, so lets make sure we get it right and check that we are sweet to do it. Will make life easier or us.

If not, then this thread gets deleted, and we just go and do it free lance....

dixie
Hard Yaka

Postby dixie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:59 pm

DAM PEOPLE!!!chill,its gonna be to hot to wear bullet proof vests on the track ha ha

Nice one Dave.

coxsy
Hard Yaka

vandy road

Postby coxsy » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:00 pm

that sounds cool to me

xj
Hard Yaka

Postby xj » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm

DieselBoy wrote:Meh, what do ya expect from a Jeep driver :lol:

Its a mint idea, so lets make sure we get it right and check that we are sweet to do it. Will make life easier or us.

If not, then this thread gets deleted, and we just go and do it free lance....

I'm into that, aside from the first line.................................... ggrrrrrrrrr :wink:

callum007
Hard Yaka

Postby callum007 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm

shit sorry, that must be it.. going to erotica on sat night..
wheres chat gone..
Dont follow me. i'll get stuck and need a tow..

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”