Takapari Road condition - any recent info avail?

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Takapari Road condition - any recent info avail?

Postby CLUMZ1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Looking at doing a trip up Takapari in the next couple of months, has anyone been up past the A-frame hut recently? Cheers

cbfb
Hard Yaka

Re: Takapari Road condition - any recent info avail?

Postby cbfb » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Went up there a few weeks back, no problems for anyone in our group. I would go again no worries it's not bad at all, gets worse past the A-Frame then runs out in a bog.

Keep eyes on rainfall. Also not sure you'd want to do it in real strong winds, it's pretty blowy up the top.

Try WRANGLR he organised our trip and will be able to give you more info (I'm not very experienced).

Worth a trip though are you based round here?

CLUMZ1
Hard Yaka

Postby CLUMZ1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Cheers, me and a friend are looking at taking my mildly modded Safari (PTO muds lift etc) and his XJ Cherokee (lexus V8) up there for a nosey and overnighter. Thanks for the wind/rain tip too,

We're from Wellington and have never ventured too far north for tracks.

badnuz
Hard Yaka

Postby badnuz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:43 pm

you will be fine with your 4x4s, idealy take 2 at least just in case, if its terrible weather up the top then camping wont be too pleasent not much shelter apart from the hut itself lol! nice drive on a clear day, fun drive in the wet! if its not the weekend of 25th aug ( 4x4 show in Melborne) or following weeknd (1st sept- costa tuff truck) then im keen to tag along :)
i used to Cruise, now i PATROL

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:40 am

Hi mate , yeah pretty much what cbfb and badnuz have said really mate, if it windy in Palmy it'll be bloody windy and cold up there, the Hut is a welcome place to stop if the weather is shit (there is a hole in the roof, no fireplace), beyond the hut is fairly good, track gets a bit narrower in places , a few climbs , and bog at the end. Need to come out the way you go in, watch out for other users up there, mountain bikers, motor bikes, hunters etc, if you would like me to tag along let me know a date and I'll see if I'm working ( shift worker ). Entrance is about 35 mins drive from Ashhurst , maybe 4 hrs Ashhurst to Bog and back.
Hope this helps some, could also do north range road on the same day and a trip down river from Saddle road Bridge to Ashhurst Bridge to finish off. Camp grounds at Ashhurst are pretty good.
txt Greg ( thats me ) 0272560470

cheers
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

cbfb
Hard Yaka

Postby cbfb » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

Ha ha if it does end up being a bit of a trip let me know I'm there!!

Cameron
Hard Yaka

Postby Cameron » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:16 pm

keen to come for a cruise if I get a wof by the time you go (insert comment about me being a hopeless prick. hah)

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”