Macetown in winter

rogerramjet
Driver/Navigator

Macetown in winter

Postby rogerramjet » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Hello all

Looking at going into Macetown for the first time in about a months time. Is it a good idea to go during winter? I know to check on the river levels before going, and for any heavy snowfall. I have a standard Prado, with a snorkel, hand winch and a set of chains. Any information would be great. Cheers

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Re: Macetown in winter

Postby Dirtydog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

i would be pretty keen on this if my truck passes cert, which shouldnt be too far away, i know of another person that would be keen aswell.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Way back in 1991 when my old man was around, My folks were early owners of NZ Nomad Safaris. Chains were mandatory in most of the winter trips to Macetown.
I've driven Macetown in snow, I would rate 3.5/5 for difficulty, those dry, rocky twisty uphill climbs past Arrow Falls become pretty challenging in the snow, especially when you really get in there and are dancing around 200 ft cliffs. River level swells but since the track is so well worn, the 24 river crossings each way shouldn't be a problem.
TOYOTA - The Official Vehicle of ISIS!
And makers of the '92 Camry, where you got your first backseat handjob.

wjw
Hard Yaka

Postby wjw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:44 am

lax2wlg wrote:Way back in 1991 when my old man was around, My folks were early owners of NZ Nomad Safaris. Chains were mandatory in most of the winter trips to Macetown.
I've driven Macetown in snow, I would rate 3.5/5 for difficulty, those dry, rocky twisty uphill climbs past Arrow Falls become pretty challenging in the snow, especially when you really get in there and are dancing around 200 ft cliffs. River level swells but since the track is so well worn, the 24 river crossings each way shouldn't be a problem.

What he said, and watch out for ice on the corners too. Just take it easy...
-----------------------
Who knew Prados could fly?

furnace
Hard Yaka

Postby furnace » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 pm

rogerramjet wrote:Hello all

Looking at going into Macetown for the first time in about a months time. Is it a good idea to go during winter? I know to check on the river levels before going, and for any heavy snowfall. I have a standard Prado, with a snorkel, hand winch and a set of chains. Any information would be great. Cheers

Macetown is usually good as in winter,just keep a eye on the rivers if raining [ they come up fast & go down fast ]..I've been in their most winters for years and have never had chains [ heaps of snow to ] ..was in their last winter,the rivers were high,over the bonnet on the Wrangler,did the first couple then turned back,the rivers were good as the next day...A nice easy day trip..JUST WATCH THE RIVERS...Also a good trip in winter is the Godley.....Would be keen but my wife has breast cancer so can't this year..good luck and enjoy

Pico42
Hard Yaka

Postby Pico42 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:27 am

Winter trips to Macetown are awesome. Especially at night...

I would normally fit chains. Climbing out of some of the river crossings on frozen ground can be awkward and there are a few places where there is just sheet ice across the track from moisture seeping out of the hill. Just use common sense.

If the river is flowing freely you should be fine, if it is frozen over it is a bit of a risk of falling through the ice.

Dirtydog
Hard Yaka

Postby Dirtydog » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Sounds like some reall canadian terrain right there lol

Sounds like heaps of fun though.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Club tried to go up there last weekend.. no go. There is a slip just up past the last crossing heading up.. means a long reverse back down.. There is also a LOT of snow and ice which is spectacular if you can get up there.. :lol:
Here is a pic of last year when Al and I went for a cruise after the club went up and had nothing.. it was like 3 weeks later and also note the white in the water.. that's ice forming underwater :shock:
If you want more I can post more up :wink:
and

terrano
Hard Yaka

Postby terrano » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Keen to see more pics, looks like an awesome trip 8)

bounty2001
Driver/Navigator

Postby bounty2001 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Looking at doing a trip up to Macetown on the week of the 18th of August and wondered if anyone knew if the track is passable again due to slide in June.

Cheers

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 pm

We had a discussion about that at committee last week.. i'll try to find out for you as I think it is still closed..

bounty2001
Driver/Navigator

Postby bounty2001 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Cheers that would be great.

bounty2001
Driver/Navigator

Postby bounty2001 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:00 pm

2 slips up there at the moment council said they were clearing them so should okay in a week.

Big
Hard Yaka

Postby Big » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:09 pm

As said in another thread..

Hi Keri,

Yes we’ve had a couple of decent slips recently.
These should be cleared within the next week all going well.
Feel free to give me a call later in the week, perhaps Friday afternoon, for an update once I’ve had a chance to inspect.

Regards
John

From the council guy that looks after that thing.. Fresh off email

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”