Odlins road to Maungatauru Hut

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Odlins road to Maungatauru Hut

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Well...
left home at 8.30 this morning for a day trip to Maungatauru Hut.

It's deteriorated a little, lots of wash outs and water damage, channels running down the roadway that are 3 ft deep in places. but never the less.

then at about lunchtime pete's surf lunched a front cv and i snapped a tie rod end on a rock while trying to snatch him out of the creek not far from the hut. only took 4 hours to get back out onto the road :shock:

running out of travel at least i got LSD's. pete didn't poor bugger 2wd and not even a rear LSD. snatch strap got a lot of use today.
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Re: Odlins road to Maungatauru Hut

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:42 pm

hey pete..you need a cv? little did i know that'is be winching both of us back up after a failed snatch attempt

some more levin boys
Last edited by Crash bandicoot on Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:45 pm

The road is so rough in places now i'm surprised any of the lights held up to the vibrations...

this road is probably no good for any truck that hasn't got a lift some good tires, at least a rear LSD and if all else fails a winch.
i suffered a damaged rim, the rock sliders got a lot of use today broken steering.

lax2wlg
Hard Yaka

Postby lax2wlg » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Cool pics sorry I couldnt make it. I didn't realise Mistrals could look so cool.

i snapped a tie rod end on a rock while trying to snatch

Thats the factory 4wd steering setup for ya. Sooner or later it was going to happen with the lift, front LSD and 32x11.5s.

2wd draglink with high beef tie rod adjusters will solve that.
I guess the difficulty is being a 1998 model you have the larger taper pitman arm which won't fit the 2wd centrelink. Kiwipete had a compatible pitman for sale. Here I am going off on a rant again. :oops:

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”