Northland 4wding

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Northland 4wding

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 am

Been giving the front diff a workout in the last couple of weeks, went to Pouto last weekend was a good trip apart from racing the waves on the way back but all trucks made it back and there was only one tow needed when the rodeo got bellied on the crest of a dune.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Re: Northland 4wding

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:40 am

The Safari copped a new set of 35" bighorns last week and I had some Swampers sitting in the shed to try out so went to Hukerenui on a wet Saturday, was slippery as even at 8psi but the Swampers gripped awesome and they definitely throw the mud around!

Hard to see in pics but this hill was over 45*, could only just walk up it. Safari went up first no problems, was a bit of a struggle to get the Surf around the corner at the bottom so I drove up to grab some winching gear out of the Safari and reversed back down. We managed to spin the Surf around but it's battery went flat from winching in the process so was a bit of a mission getting that started again and it was a carby V8 so kept stalling on the hill. Eventually gave up and went back down, couldn't get up the other way so called it quits and went home. I managed to get up again but it took a few goes, turbo was singing and the Swampers were chucking mud everywhere. The BJ74 was next, had a couple of goes but the Wrangler MT's were no match for the slippery clay so it got winched up.

The boghole was next on the list, I parked up and watched as I used to do that sort of thing but got sick of replacing seals and bearings and brakes and the list goes on :roll: . Safari dived in first but hit something and the back end bounced out of the ruts. By the time it got straightened out the ruts were too deep so had to winch out. Certainly gave it a good go though!

Cruiser had a go next but didn't get far.

Had a steep clay hill to climb which was made much more interesting by the 90* corner halfway up. Safari went up first go, then the two Pajeros had a few attempts but couldn't get round the corner so I hooked the first one on with a shortened strop to help getting round the corner. Managed to get just around the corner and came to a halt so unhooked strop and lengthened it which gave enough runup to get it moving again and got all the way to the top. The BJ74 went up next (only just) while I hooked up to the other Pajero. Was much the same story except I didn't quite get to the top. Had a few goes to try and shift it but temp gauge kept climbing so hooked the winch on the Safari up to give it a helping hand. Once I got up a bit further we unhooked the winch and I backed up and hoofed it in 2nd which got it the rest of the way.

Another good trip with only some minor panel damage on my truck, a dinged door on the Surf from trying to get round the corner and the boghole caused the Safari's clutch to slip and the power steering to leak so be a bit of seal replacement going on there.
:mrgreen:

miked21newbie
Driver/Navigator

Postby miked21newbie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 am

awesome write up man, can't wait till my truck's up to scratch, i'll try tag along with ya's one day :D

MrBeef
Driver/Navigator

Postby MrBeef » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:03 pm

Awesome coupley weekends there Harry. Got some good photos there mate.

Now to contemplate putting a new clutch in and reconditioning gearbox at same time.
Also power steering pump rebuild this week.

Some videos of the day at hukeranui
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Zn2t3BB6II

Have got one on dash from in bog hole but its taking a while to format - soon tho

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Good write up and great pics zukmeister.

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks, haven't done much 4wding for a while so good to get out again.

suzukisport
Hard Yaka

Postby suzukisport » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Looks mint great photos. I was up Hukerenui a couple of months back and it was a lot dryer. Looks like it would be a lot more fun now. That bog hole will be deep its had 36" tyres going through it
Here is a video of last time we were up there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8F_6juLnRc
Comp rig: Suzuki Vitara, L67 Supercharged V6 Commie and auto, Prado chassis and diffs. Gigglepin 8274 twin motor rear mounted winch, air free spools, 35" Silverstones, ect

zukmeista
Hard Yaka

Postby zukmeista » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks, yeah it was pretty wet which makes for awesome fun with good tyres! Didn't do all the tracks unfortunately but as the others were only on MT's it wouldn't have been safe and I wasn't going solo without a winch. I saw that vid that hilux is pretty spastic haha what sort of motor is it running?

MrBeef
Driver/Navigator

Postby MrBeef » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Nice video! definately explains the trenches haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43JoyRJnv5c

finally got gopro loaded up with a bit of editing

suzukisport
Hard Yaka

Postby suzukisport » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:16 pm

The Hilux is running a turboed 4age it makes really good power for a small engine.
Comp rig: Suzuki Vitara, L67 Supercharged V6 Commie and auto, Prado chassis and diffs. Gigglepin 8274 twin motor rear mounted winch, air free spools, 35" Silverstones, ect

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”