track maintenance

nuts
Hard Yaka

track maintenance

Postby nuts » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:38 am

not sure if this is the rite place to post this ... been contacted about the state of gorse on allot of tracks and had this idea put forward :idea: ... to find and old tractor with side belt drive (as cheap as we can get it ) as this is all going to be voluntary ..... the idea is to make a side scrub cutter to run up and down the tracks to keep the sides clear .... also are going to to look into funding to help pay for the project ... this will help with all those tracks that mite not necessarily be hardcore but are being closed out to those who want to go do weekend shiny or semi shiny trips as well... heres one version the fella i was talking said they will build the side cutter setup

http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vannattabros.com/11-8/deere_r.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.vannattabros.com/farm.html&h=1004&w=1500&tbnid=BU8rPA_2EhkynM:&docid=DbVvZZaE8qkH_M&ei=uVMdVrCRJaHDmwXUxJvQDA&tbm=isch&ved=0CD4QMyg7MDs4rAJqFQoTCPDRq_aPwMgCFaHhpgodVOIGyg

any how as i see it we are the ones that want the tracks to use and also we are the ones that complain about being closed out so this seems a good way to keep on the rite side of doc and land owners to help keep tracks open to use as even a bit of good will towards 4x4ing :mrgreen:

THIS IS NOT MY IDEA but im all for it and more than happy to put my time into it :D :D :D
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Re: track maintenance

Postby mudlva » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:34 pm

humm.
been thinking about this myself a few years back, these are my thoughts
pro on tractor;
;self powered,
;pto to cutter bar easier to link up
;bar possibly easier to operate
;more maneuverable
;possibly tow a trailer to carry tools etc

cons on tractor;
;old cheap machines require high maintenance
;ongoing costs of repair and maintenance
;operator skill issues or lack of operator skills damaging the cutter and/or machine
;storage of machine
;transporting the machine form place of storage to track and back again
;if machine is to be towed, by whom? on what? does the trailer stay with the machine or hired?

second option...
Hydraulic power plant mounted onto a h/d trailer un-braked and towed behind a 4x4
pros for;
;maintenance on trailer a lot simpler
;power plant if conventional diesel a lot simpler to maintain
;bar system can operate on slides for in and out to gauge width and use hydraulics to raise and lower
;easier to store a 8x4 trailer
;easier to transport
;at current moment it will cost around $55-$65 per year for 1 x wof and 12 months rego.
;use old 31 to 33 mud tyres or similar, plenty of them around and will cost nothing as they only get tossed once owners up grade
;less skill required as the driver just drives and a second operator will operate the cutting bar
;extra gear can be easily carried by either the tow vehicle or on the trailer

cons against;
;not as maneuverable as a tractor
;requires tow vehicle pushing through the track before the cutters can do their job
;depending on set up bar height may be come an issue
;initial set up costs will probably be a lot higher than a tractor with pto

i was keen a few years back but with work and life getting in the way and watching top exces bitch and scratch at each other i lost interest

still it is a good idea if something ever eventuated form it, and im keen to lend a hand in some way if possible, if required...

Cheers Rohan

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:05 pm

mudlva wrote:humm.
been thinking about this myself a few years back, these are my thoughts
pro on tractor;
;self powered,
;pto to cutter bar easier to link up
;bar possibly easier to operate
;more maneuverable
;possibly tow a trailer to carry tools etc

cons on tractor;
;old cheap machines require high maintenance
;ongoing costs of repair and maintenance
;operator skill issues or lack of operator skills damaging the cutter and/or machine
;storage of machine
;transporting the machine form place of storage to track and back again
;if machine is to be towed, by whom? on what? does the trailer stay with the machine or hired?

second option...
Hydraulic power plant mounted onto a h/d trailer un-braked and towed behind a 4x4
pros for;
;maintenance on trailer a lot simpler
;power plant if conventional diesel a lot simpler to maintain
;bar system can operate on slides for in and out to gauge width and use hydraulics to raise and lower
;easier to store a 8x4 trailer
;easier to transport
;at current moment it will cost around $55-$65 per year for 1 x wof and 12 months rego.
;use old 31 to 33 mud tyres or similar, plenty of them around and will cost nothing as they only get tossed once owners up grade
;less skill required as the driver just drives and a second operator will operate the cutting bar
;extra gear can be easily carried by either the tow vehicle or on the trailer

cons against;
;not as maneuverable as a tractor
;requires tow vehicle pushing through the track before the cutters can do their job
;depending on set up bar height may be come an issue
;initial set up costs will probably be a lot higher than a tractor with pto

i was keen a few years back but with work and life getting in the way and watching top exces bitch and scratch at each other i lost interest

still it is a good idea if something ever eventuated form it, and im keen to lend a hand in some way if possible, if required...

Cheers Rohan

the reason for tractor is
1 cuttiing 7-8 ft gorse in front before going thru

2 ive got spare pto winch wich im happy to put on it for those dificult banks to climb lol

3 i have nothing but tooo much time on my hands lol :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

4 exaples places like in the kopra it can b kept while work there being done as for west coast if its working im my area it can b parked here .. as for transporting if a trailer is needed im sure there are enough clever buggers to build one :mrgreen: :wink:
Last edited by nuts on Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people think i have a problem with insanity .... i dont i enjoy every minute ..... 0278900597

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes I agree that a tractor is a good option.
And for a owner operator it's a great option.
But for multiple operators that's another story

nuts
Hard Yaka

Postby nuts » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:27 pm

mudlva wrote:Yes I agree that a tractor is a good option.
And for a owner operator it's a great option.
But for multiple operators that's another story

my theory on that is slow n steady as its not a job you can do fast

Swamped
Hard Yaka

Postby Swamped » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 pm

This is something I have had done on our property. Probably took him 10-15min maybe per 100m realistically cutting through gorse and some heavy overhanging trees along the track and on both sides/tops.
I recommended this for the 42nd cutback recently as it was so fast and in most instances a tractor is the best option balancing cost vs work done.
Wasn't this guy but the one we had was very similar - I shoulda got a number as I just stopped and talked to him on the side of the road when he was doing some big tree/hedge things and he came did some work for beers.

Would cost a bit to truck it to tracks but the time it saves and the quality of the job far beats individuals with brushcutters. Can just have helpers clearing the debris from the track after if necessary.

tgaguy1
Hard Yaka

Postby tgaguy1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:18 am

Many years ago we had the DOC contract for cutting back vegetation on bush tracks, and this is what we used.
This photo is not in the bush for this shot, but this is the machines used for the job.
napier taupo highway 03 005.jpg

It would definitely not be suitable for multiple operators and needed some skill to operate. Surprising where these machines will go too.
Men do not quit playing because they get old.
They grow old because they quit playing.

mercutio
Hard Yaka

Postby mercutio » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 am

how about the trailer setup designed to be towed from place to place but using a front mounted towball push it while doing the cutting or am i just being silly
my 4wd is not a truck

old mercedes never die but sometimes they do need some love

older cars are good,mercedes are better,older mercedes are the best

mudlva
Hard Yaka

Postby mudlva » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:33 am

mercutio wrote:how about the trailer setup designed to be towed from place to place but using a front mounted towball push it while doing the cutting or am i just being silly

To hard to steer and control.
In the ideal world the tractor is a better idea but are limited to operator experience etc

Mudde1
Hard Yaka

Postby Mudde1 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:43 pm

I don't want to put a downer on this but I take a longer term view. Different tracks have different types of vegetation and would require different types of equipment to do the job. what would work well on one track may not work well on another. My experience over 30 years in volunteer groups is that when volunteer groups embark on projects that are not their core business, it goes well for a while, then the core group of volunteers drift off and the project fades out. I can think of a lot of equipment various groups have brought and has been lost and no one knows what happened to it because the small enthusiastic group developed other interests.

My preferred option is to run a safari type event to raise funds and then use these funds to pay for a local contractor with the correct experience and equipment to do the job. everyone can help in some way and each project is only a short term commitment, keeping everyone interested. If you want to donate materials or skills you can still do this and donate the proceeds to the project. This also avoids problems with health and safety legislation, insurance, storage, operator training, storage, repairs and maintenance etc etc.
far easier and simpler and we keep to our core interests.
Tony.
Tony.

ChurchurDan
Hard Yaka

Postby ChurchurDan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:47 pm

What he said^^^^ fundraise and get it sprayed. Much more efficient in the long run to kill it not just trim it.

Twodiffs
Hard Yaka

Postby Twodiffs » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Not that simple and too slow. Years ago some of the areas concerned vehicles used to travel down the track in 2wd at 60-70km.
Now it's down to 5-10km and old man gorse. Spraying would be good for growth in it's early days but not this stuff!

drive it ...
Hard Yaka

Postby drive it ... » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Here ya go nuts. Factory pto and no flat tyres from running over stumps.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 437743.htm

Personally I like Tony (Mudde) thoughts. You've got some pretty neat areas over there, if a few punters pay say $40 or $50 for a trip that arranged access down into the Blackburn for example. A couple of trips might generate enough to pay some fuel and blade wear if you've got a 4x4 friendly local contractor/farmer. Downside to that you're a long way from population with trucks that want an arranged trip. Maybe try and co-ordinate through combined 4wd?

I'm up for another track clearing weekend in Nov if you want.

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”