Ice Busted 2016

Clint
Hard Yaka

Ice Busted 2016

Postby Clint » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Have just been down to Waiouru for a winter run around the army training area organised by Off Limits.

Stayed in the Barracks on base which, to Rosie's surprise, were not an old corrugated iron shed with wire-wove beds & sacks for blankets :) meals in the mess were pretty decent too. Saturday dawned clear but the forecast was not good as we lined up on the parade ground with about 44 other trucks.

There was a good selection of vehicles in the group with some well set up rigs.

Soon after leaving camp we diverted off the main track onto a neat track along a ridgeline with a few good ups & downs & views.

After not quite making one hero hillclimb I took the advice of a wise looking dude in a 40 series & dropped the tyre pressures some more. Seems the Simexs do need a few less psi than the old MT's. Fortunately there were a few options up the steep sections.

After a few more diversions we made it to Westlawn Hut for lunch then continued on out to the far Northeast corner of the training area.

We got to the end of the gravel & very quickly things got sticky with every option up an early hill proving to be a challenge. Nice spot to look at the scenery while waiting though.

On the way we passed the #2 group of less hardcore 4wds heading out.

Eventually after a good fun drive we got to Red Hut where the Hard/Crazy guys in the ATVs & UTV's group were trying to dry out a bit. I had to turn the heater up a notch just looking at them. :lol:

With the day getting on & the weather closing in we turned around & started back out the way we came only to find the #2 group still struggling with a long boggy rutty hill section. In our group we had a team from the Tararua Club who launched into action & soon there were winch lines going left right & centre to get everybody on their way. In the middle of this an unfortunate Jeep tried a slightly too ambitious line (or just didn't have much control on the slippery surface like all of us)...

When I tried that hill I did get further than the Jeep, but then also got a little on my side when I fell into a deep rut (that I thought I was clear of :oops: )

A tow from the mighty Nissan of one of our guides got me out of that only for me to fall in another hole not far on :roll: Good thing the Tararua crew were close at hand to extract me from that one. Thanks guys! Not many trees to winch off out here so teamwork is vital. In the next few km there was plenty of action with more tipped vehicles being righted & it was fully dark as I snatched a Landrover back onto the track not far from the safety of the gravel. With snow blowing around we rolled the 35ish km back to base where they had nicely kept the mess open past closing for us. It's not an adventure unless you're late for dinner they say :wink:

Sunday morning there was a few inches of snow on the ground... enough to stop the days fun entirely someone decided... I thought messing around in snow was the whole idea? But apparently a bunch of snow, in the middle of winter, in Waiouru, was a bit unexpected?? So that was that & we went home.

Cheers
Clint
Last edited by Clint on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

lilpigzuk
Tiger Balm

Re: Ice Busted 2016

Postby lilpigzuk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:17 pm

awesome Clint, you don't look much different from a Minganui trip many moons ago (maybe a touch less hair lol) I saw The UTV pics on their FB page this morn, looks like their tow wagons were lucky to leave waiouru

yeti
Bruiser

Postby yeti » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:42 am

thanks Clint , nice to see a trip report on here ................looks cold fella... :D
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Was good time I went in third group which headed up the mountain
We didn't get back till late due to a few trucks popping there beads
Didn't get many photos
This what I woke up to sunday
And then it got worse
Had accommodation booked in taupo for sunday night so b lined it to pureora forest for a play en route

mudsurfv6
Hard Yaka

Postby mudsurfv6 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm

looks like a fun trip. :)
1996 vzn185 surf, TRD supercharger, SAS, 35s, 4" lift, 2 lockers, ute chopped + more happening. Andrew 0272226292.

NJV6
Hard Yaka

Postby NJV6 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Nice one, but how irresponsible of you for going with snow in the forecast..... :mrgreen:
SWB V6 Paj with one or two mods ;)

basics
Hard Yaka

Postby basics » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:07 pm

awsome place i can imagine,this trip is on my list to do one day, great pics and write up, thanks
99 pajero exceed 3.2

Clint
Hard Yaka

Postby Clint » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 am

Lchundy wrote:Was good time I went in third group which headed up the mountain
We didn't get back till late due to a few trucks popping there beads

Good stuff, I meant to introduce myself but didn't see ya again after Sat morning. I did notice some enthusiasm in our group also for running real low tyre pressures with no tubes or beadlocks... never ends well. Need to experiment a bit more with my Simexs though, got tubes & I think I can go a bit lower than I have without packing the beads with dirt..

basics wrote:awsome place i can imagine,this trip is on my list to do one day, great pics and write up, thanks

There is another trip on next weekend if you get a wriggle on: http://www.offroadexpress.kiwi/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46328 Also keep an eye on the Off Limits site http://www.offlimits.co.nz/ as they are planning another trip early December.

Cheers
Clint
UZJ71 Landcruiser
Jeep J20 - 1UZ-FE powered (part owner)
KTM 640

If it breaks, build it stronger.
If it doesn't break, drive it harder.

Lchundy
Hard Yaka

Postby Lchundy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Thought I'd add a few more pics
My passengers were taking all the good shot these are ones I took on phone when the trail was striaght while driving

Tyres were let down in our group to get up a big slippery hill,problem was there was a down hill on the other side with ruts that pushed you into the bank.
I didn't air down as much so didn't drive the hill but upside is I wasn't trying to pop my beads back on in the freezing cold
Keen as for next year with my beadlocked treps☺

Return to “Trip Reports, Trail Reviews, Reports and Information”