Nevis Vally to serpentine church

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Nevis Vally to serpentine church

Postby dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm

and... other places in between...

mid feb Im hauling my way south staying at all the old hotels like Vulcan at St Bathens, railway at Mossburn, Nasbi etc... and in between a lot of of main road driving.

Now all I have to go by is a old book 4WD south Is by Sibly and Wilson... in the past I have found a lot has changed since it was published, like tracks are now walking only, or are a subdivision, or flattened by logging... so those in the know have a look at the attachments and if you can read em let me know if anything has changed ta.
Attachments
old dunstan rd.JPG
oild dunstan rd
old dunstan rd 2.JPG
old dunstan rd 2
serpentine.JPG
Serpentine
Nevis Vally.JPG
Nevis Vally

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Re: Nevis Vally to serpentine church

Postby dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:27 pm

other roads will be Hakataramea, Mackenzie, Danseys, Thomson gorge rd or rise n shine rd...

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm

This may give you a few more options

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 74448&z=11

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 am

Smurf wrote:This may give you a few more options

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 74448&z=11

yes it would... very good map and info, but I cant see were it explains the diferances betwen grades 1-5 ???
expect grade 1 is a shingle rd and grade 5 dont go alone... need a break down really

Smurf
Hard Yaka

Postby Smurf » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Just checked against a few tracks I know and yep Grade one is Nana spec, grade 5 Go with nana to tow her mobility scooter out spec. (Don't go alone)
That page was set up by a motorbike touring dude so grades may be more indicative for bikes tan 4wd, still relevant though.

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:16 am

As far as I am aware, Station Road track up Hakataramea is closed, too many idiots and poachers were using it so the farmer closed it.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 pm

nivaman wrote:As far as I am aware, Station Road track up Hakataramea is closed, too many idiots and poachers were using it so the farmer closed it.

which rd or track are you meaning... im just sticking to the main haul tru there public rds so no cocky can close that?
there an alternitive rout I dont know of?

nivaman
Hard Yaka

Postby nivaman » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:58 pm

dangerous wrote:
nivaman wrote:As far as I am aware, Station Road track up Hakataramea is closed, too many idiots and poachers were using it so the farmer closed it.

which rd or track are you meaning... im just sticking to the main haul tru there public rds so no cocky can close that?
there an alternitive rout I dont know of?

Just looking at the map smurf put up, the two blue lines up Hakataramea valley, the shorter one Station Rd.

dangerous
Hard Yaka

Postby dangerous » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:52 pm

that was awesome... the nevis and crickle town the best, nothing too tricky best part on the garston side
serpintine slow going at times the dodgyest part was the last gate and the swamp crossing after it to the church... water up to the wind screen but to my surprise no traction issues... loving the cooper maxx
old dunstan rd on the east side very senic to the west rough as...
also ran with Mckenzie and hakamatea passes, dansys were I blew a brake line... the pass between bendigo and omaka, old man range, lake onslow rd and onwards

Return to “Planning a trip?”