DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:49 pm

Last edited by DieselBoy on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

munster
Driver/Navigator

Postby munster » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:59 pm

Would love too, but kids sport, school holidays etc muck it all up.

Was in Pureora North Block (Ngaroma) for the roar. It's reasonably well mapped, a few good tracks that shouldn't be too much trouble.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:06 pm

Noted.
Noted that you are a likely candidate in quieter times........... :lol: :lol:

One keen Nrth Islander to the list :D
lax2wlg wrote:Is that like saying 'she's hot, for a crackwhore??

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:47 pm

yep Im keen I knows of some interesrting tracks in Pureora and have access to excellant accomidation there. I will be giving up going to the swap meet on sunday to check out some tracks in Pureora this weekend. And as for Rotorua, well, have I/we got some tracks for you and who ever is brave. BUT be aware tried to organise a trip on this forum and got very little response (check previous posts) very dissapointing.
I'll and maybe some others from this direction will support you
cheers DJ who's not hiding from any one!!! :lol:

munster
Driver/Navigator

Postby munster » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:06 pm

I'd be keen to do Thompson's . . as far as Shiney's can go.

wopass
Hard Yaka

ohh yea

Postby wopass » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:50 am

well you know im in of course :D theres allways stadia or tirua river / grapevine track or the place at patetonga that DJ was talkin about :wink: im into whatever comes allong, should have the cruise missile back in full working order next week some time,so any time after that would be sweet for me :wink: as long as the missuz lets me out of course :roll:
If you already know everything, DON'T ask bloody questions!!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:09 am

Yep figured i would have you to (Wopass, DJ) on board.
Dwayne in the surf, from last Thompsons trip.

I figure if we just start doing trips and putting them up here, people will slowly come out of the wood work.

Pureora sounds good.

Leave Vegas to the summer, then we can do lake Ririwhatkiatu (how the hell do you spell it DJ), Rainbow mountain, back through the forest to Minginui and get lost in that forest.

cainef
Driver/Navigator

Postby cainef » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:47 am

I know its a way off but I arrive in Auckland start of September, and would deffinately be keen to go on some trips around then.

Just got to get 4WD, do the mods...
I think I have spent more time thinking about the 4WD and mods than the actual move...
Winch, get IRD num, Dual batteries, recovery gear, open bank account, suspension, tyres, snorkle, get job, lockers.....

Already got recovery gear.

Furgus
Hard Yaka

Postby Furgus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm normally up for a trip or two - shiny - tough - rough I'm not fussy 8) Only problem atm is getting time off from the family - first sprog due in 10wks time :pale: & have been busy redecorating the whole house. I'd certainly try & get a weekend away in before the big day & I'll see how we go after that :? :?
Furgus

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:20 pm

SF70 is good occasionally especially down stream in the gully or when its been wet.

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 pm

lake Ririwhatkiatu (how the hell do you spell it DJ),

lake Rerewhakaaitu its different type of track. Sometimes a quick trip around the lake just to round out a day if you have been on another track ( Rainbow Mt ??) Makes for some interesting Pixs.
SF 70 now thats a mission for good keen men to get stuck in, Always bring provisions for a unexpected and unplanned delay. Looks easy but can bite just when arent looking.
SF70 is good occasionally especially down stream in the gully or when its been wet
Klompy!! have u brought a unimog or Kenworth?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Minganui, thats a whole new ball game you need to spend a weekend there. Tracks every where, tuff, shiney what ever u can handle but all good tracks
cheers DJ

mike
Last minute Mike

Postby mike » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:59 pm

Sounds like you guys have a few good trips coming up with all these tracks being described. I havnt heard of most of them and it would be really good if you guys get out there pronto and get some pics for the rest of us to have a gander at :wink:

Mike

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:57 am

Thats the plan!!!!!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:01 am

DJ wrote:
lake Ririwhatkiatu (how the hell do you spell it DJ),

lake Rerewhakaaitu its different type of track. Sometimes a quick trip around the lake just to round out a day if you have been on another track ( Rainbow Mt ??) Makes for some interesting Pixs.
SF 70 now thats a mission for good keen men to get stuck in, Always bring provisions for a unexpected and unplanned delay. Looks easy but can bite just when arent looking.
SF70 is good occasionally especially down stream in the gully or when its been wet
Klompy!! have u brought a unimog or Kenworth?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Minganui, thats a whole new ball game you need to spend a weekend there. Tracks every where, tuff, shiney what ever u can handle but all good tracks
cheers DJ

Never heard of SF70.

Yeah, been round the lake in the Surf.
Its a good shiny trip up Rainbow mountain and then round the lake.
And if no ones looking you can play in the ruts/holes towards the end of the track.

I'm really keen to get back down to minginui. I wana see where that track goes that we tried at easter. Good to go with some people that know where there going!!!!!!!

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:03 am

DJ wrote:yep Im keen I knows of some interesrting tracks in Pureora and have access to excellant accomidation there. I will be giving up going to the swap meet on sunday to check out some tracks in Pureora this weekend. And as for Rotorua, well, have I/we got some tracks for you and who ever is brave. BUT be aware tried to organise a trip on this forum and got very little response (check previous posts) very dissapointing.
I'll and maybe some others from this direction will support you
cheers DJ who's not hiding from any one!!! :lol:

What sorta thing you got planned for Sunday??

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 am

What i really mean is can i tag along???

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:42 pm

What i really mean is can i tag along???

hell yea will PM u with details and ph number and if anyone else is interested PM me ASAP Im not the organizer but Im sure it will be OK, if not then there is plenty of other tracks I know of in Pureroa and we will do our own thing.
Its a good shiny trip up Rainbow mountain

I guess you have been reading Andy Cockroft's 4WD Adventures book. This is a great book but (as Andy would also point out ) its not a complete list of tracks only an insite to tracks that he has travelled on. What I'm saying is, there is more than meets the description, and sure if you follow some directions you would have missed some challaging tracks. I wouldn't call Rainbow Mt, shiney where we go. These comments apply to everywhere, there is no substertute for local knowlege.
cheersDJ duckin for cover AGAIN 8)

"Never hold a fart in as it can travel back up your spine into your brain and give you shitty ideas" :lol: :lol: :lol:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:51 pm

Sweet.
Remember i was only on the coast for 2yrs, i'm Waikato born and bred :lol:
Origionally we did find those tracks from Andys books.

River road and Minginui from exploreing and looking on maps.

Local knowledge, can't agree more, thats why i'm keen to get to pureora with those who know........................ :lol:

chops
Bush Crasher

Postby chops » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 am

:D sounds good ill be up for a shiney trip as my jeep is only stock at moment on A/Ts till i get more funds for winch bar/winch M/Ts spotlights etc etc :?

:P one jeep driver not hiding from anyone just camoflged form the rest 8)

:twisted: and yes i did say jeep :twisted:

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:49 am

and yes i did say jeep
hey if it doent work to well trade it in on a kenworth :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:12 am

Ring ya tonight before burbon o'clock DJ.
Weather forcast looks reasonable for Sunday.

This thread is going to be usefull in the future, all you guys putting down what you drive, and the kinda of thing your interested in doing!!!

No ones suggest a weekend that suits yet. Just politely declined due to time constraints :lol: :lol:

So come on, who's in??

wopass
Hard Yaka

action

Postby wopass » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:46 pm

well im back in action :twisted: called down to 4x4 parts and repairs, picked me up an output shaft and seal about 2:30 today, back home and put the old girl back together, had it finished at 4:00, not bad going for me :wink: ...

so what ever, when ever, how ever, ill be keen to go and thrash some mud :twisted: :D

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:59 pm

Sweet, your coming on Sunday, I'll help ya slink un noticed through the back roads.

Just put your Kumho's on.

On second thoughts, nah..........................

DJ
Hard Yaka

Postby DJ » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:28 pm

Ring ya tonight before burbon o'clock DJ.

hey you can drink alot of Burbon its Saturday :oops:
directions; travel towards Pureora Dont turn off!! stay on main road ( State highway 30?) on the northern side between the 2 turn offs to Pureora HQ there is a road which goes to a youth camp . take that one I will be on the main road to meet you at 9.30 am about 20 others from Taupo/ King country clubs, will be there to meet me at the same time.
Watch for Orange Surf Sign written "4x4 Essentials Service & Parts" Pic in User gallery page 8 Untitled in Blizz v8 ( dont ask)
ring 073575170 or email djautos@slingshot.co.nz to confirm as I'll be pissed waiting for someone thats not bothering. Please bring leave Burbon ( not recyled new please) :drunken:
cheers DJ

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Well how did the trip on Sunday go.

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:04 am

I wussed out..................... :lol: :lol:

20 Vehicles, no way, to many for me. :shock: :evil:

wopass
Hard Yaka

hehheheh

Postby wopass » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:09 am

hehheheh :lol: ... i went over thompsons on the moto cross bike on sunday to see what all the fuss is about... :shock: yea its pretty bad 8) but do'able with the right planning and gear with a few good trucks and nutters behind the wheels :twisted: the long swamp area is the worst part of it, it would be about 60m of bogs... big ones all lined up ready to eat little trucks like lollies :shock: . most of the other bogs are deep water and mud and would most likely have to winch out of them but,not hard winches. i have some pics of the swamp area that i will post when doveloped,

in my oppinion the best plan would be to go from katikati side as one of the bogs comming the other way has a vert lip on it which may cause major winch problems so would be best to drop into it rather than trying to get up it :wink: then throught the long swamp area and pretty plain sailing from there on in, still a lot of holes but not truck killers :wink:

one thing i did find interesting is on the Te Aroha side, in between when pete and i went and sunday just gone, there must have been a LOT of trucks go up to the summit, there is now a fresh cut track to get around the only part that was of any real diffaculty to shinys(pete knows the spot im talking about), and that one spot is now a fuckin mess, huge lip and torn to shit, not very good to see that on the side that might have an impact on the future of the track staying open :? i think that maybe instead of cutting a new track around the main road, they should instead have spent the time into fixing the ####### mess they made on the main track, these actions by 4x4's is what gives us a bad rep with all the tree huggers and greenys, problem is, it looks like the quantity of trucks that did it, would resemble a club trip :? ,.... but thats just speculation, i would hope that a club would be more responsible and eager to keep tracks in good condition to ensure the tracks are kept open for the future.... im ranting now so ill call it there ...

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:07 pm

Shit!!!
Seriously???
I hope they Stay away from the wires when it re opens in a year or two!!!
I can't wait to get back in there and do the trip with out any damage!!!!

Trouble with doing Thompsons from the Kati kati side is that the First bog is a killer, so your trucks get all caked up straight off and then you have to do the rest of the track with the truck over heating etc.
As you say, the rest of its not that bad, just watery holes, but its the long swamp and the one after it that usually do the damage and ,make the rest of the trip very grueling even though the tracks not as hard.

Radiator blind, alternator splash gaurd, spare alternator, 20 - 40L of water for radiator maintenance, compressed air, two spare tyres, 40m Winch extention cable, ground anchor, crimps for fixing snapped cables, at least a rear diff lock, competition tyres, heaps of food and coffee and gear to spend the night, welding rods to 24V arc weld, jumper pack, at least one vehicle with a PTO winch, spare shear pins and a trailer on the other side to get the vehicle home on.

Just gotta be prepared to spend a good day on the winch.

We will do it one day in the near future Ben.

All Damage is fixable....................Especially panel damage.

Who wants to go some where this weekend????

This thread has been viewed 326 times, so there must be people out there that are being way to quiet!!!!!

May be if i start post up the places I go, people will come out of the wood work and , geees, i could have gone there and done that, it wasn't that hard at all. I'll go next time.

I'm stiil keen to go to Pureora, but with far fewer vehicles to do some exploring.

wopass
Hard Yaka

heh

Postby wopass » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:02 pm

:? hehhe,, i now have the carby off the old girl 8) gonna do the upgrade :twisted: ...

hey DJ, whats the story with the carter carbs? what makes them better than the holley? and do you have one ? :wink: is 350cfm 2 barrel the right size to be looking for ?

info info info.... needitnowpleasesoicanputitonanddoskids....

DieselBoy
Hard Yaka

Postby DieselBoy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skids.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If only the rest of the world was so keen!!!!!

Hey, enough of this thread jacking already, im trying to get some lazy people of the couch and save the family 4x4 the misery of yet another trip to the super market............................................... :lol: :lol:

Tech for the the Tech sections. :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unless this is related some how to motivating people to venture out side.............................................................

Return to “Planning a trip?”