Avoca River/ Basins hut

pressy
Hard Yaka

Re: Avoca River/ Basins hut

Postby pressy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:10 pm

ClassicCruiserSpares wrote:Had another great trip away, the weather was perfect. Truck only has minor damage but easily fixed :lol: Cheers Richard for organising the trip and look forward to the next one!

X2 cheers richard, great to meet some more new faces too,

muddyplumber
Spring Free

Postby muddyplumber » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Yea awsome trip,great bunch of guys.wish I had come for a play in mud but I would've broken more shit,not going anywhere till the issues are sorted :lol: doesn't help just brought another toy,1971 merc sedan all factory last owner for 30yrs,tis mean.did you guys see the rabbit si shit then mounted it on some rocks in the middle of the road haha
BJ70 13bt creepys,beadlocks n not a straight panel

pressy
Hard Yaka

Postby pressy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm

[quote=did you guys see the rabbit si shit then mounted it on some rocks in the middle of the road haha[/quote]

yes lol. the wee man couldnt believe his is eyes that the bunny didnt run away like the rest did.....lol

Lawrence
Bush Crasher

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Has anyone driven to the Avoca hut at the head of the valley?

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Lawrence wrote:Has anyone driven to the Avoca hut at the head of the valley?

You can't drive to the hut because the hut is set up in the bush off to the true right of the river.
You can drive to within 15 minute walk of the hut, but it does get a bit rougher as you get further up the river.
Outta the way sheep shagga !!!!

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:03 pm

mylux wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Has anyone driven to the Avoca hut at the head of the valley?

You can't drive to the hut because the hut is set up in the bush off to the true right of the river.
You can drive to within 15 minute walk of the hut, but it does get a bit rougher as you get further up the river.

Nearly, you can drive to within a 5 minute walk to the hut (using certain rigs),
and we could have almost driven to the front door, but as stated there is bush on each side of the river and you would have to bush bash your way through which isn't exactly "treading lightly".

Ugly is a state of mind..... and the state of my truck!

Sleepn
Bush Crasher

Postby Sleepn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:28 pm

How far can you get up without having a really capable rock crawler style truck?
Say just 33's and a body lift sort of thing, not wanting to screw up a truck?

Sold my bush basher but keen to have a drive up there some day for a bit of a hunt.. don't want to wreck the good wagon though!

niblik
Sausage Shack

Postby niblik » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

In the background of this pic you'll see a stock 60. Pick ya lines, which is easily done, and you'll get there sweet as.
ImageImage

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Nibby is quite correct. And about 1k further back down stream was a nearly new Mitsi 4wd Dbl cab (which did have some scars from the trip in).

The 60 made it up there with out any issues at all, and as an aside to all of that, the 60 series in that pick is the one that Tom is now building into his beast.

rokhound
Hard Yaka

Postby rokhound » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:45 pm

Nibby is quite correct. And about 1k further back down stream was a nearly new Mitsi 4wd Dbl cab (which did have some scars from the trip in).

The 60 made it up there with out any issues at all, and as an aside to all of that, the 60 series in that pick is the one that Tom is now building into his beast.

1justin
Hard Yaka

Postby 1justin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:12 pm

how long does it take to get from where the avoca meets the harper (start of the track i guess to the head of the vally (near the hut),

also looks like there a gravel road atleast up to basin creek does it go much further than that or do you need to cross basin creek then no road from there?

was looking up the avoca from the ridge line at mtt oylmpus one day sking looks like a great place to go for a trip or a hunt

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:40 pm

1justin wrote:how long does it take to get from where the avoca meets the harper (start of the track i guess to the head of the vally (near the hut),

also looks like there a gravel road atleast up to basin creek does it go much further than that or do you need to cross basin creek then no road from there?

was looking up the avoca from the ridge line at mtt oylmpus one day sking looks like a great place to go for a trip or a hunt

To get to Basins hut from the Harper is about a hour to a hour and a half depending on ya driving style :lol:
Yea it's pretty much a shingle road but you do have to cross the Avoca twice.
From there it's pretty easy drive over Basins Creek and up to Gallalee(sp?) Creek. From there it gets a bit rougher the further up you go.

handydog
Driver/Navigator

Postby handydog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:31 pm

I would like to drive into here sometime over the next month. As I have not been in before would any other vehicles like to come along?

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:06 pm

digging up a old thread here but has anyone been in there lately?

planing a trip into this area in couple weeks and just woundring if anyone knows track conditions etc?

costs still the same?

cheers in advance

mylux
Shockless

Postby mylux » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:18 pm

oljamesyboy wrote:digging up a old thread here but has anyone been in there lately?

planing a trip into this area in couple weeks and just woundring if anyone knows track conditions etc?

costs still the same?

cheers in advance

I'm keen to head up there again in the next week or two :D

oljamesyboy
Hard Yaka

Postby oljamesyboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 pm

have gone camping at Coleridge for few years now but have never been up there yet. Ill most likely camp by lake and go up river for a day

Return to “Planning a trip?”