Thompsons Te Aroha side Sat 22nd trip / track condition

leeogrady
Driver/Navigator

Thompsons Te Aroha side Sat 22nd trip / track condition

Postby leeogrady » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 am

Anyone keen? Heading up to top via main track then back down and out some of the side tracks. Keen to have another truck(s) join us.
Any vehicle type welcome, expecting to depart from parking area around 10:30.

Il be driving: FJ40, chev 350, locked rear, fiddle front, pto winch.
My dad may come on a quad.

On a side note anyone been up recently/know of any slips etc that may mess with plans?

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Re: Thompsons Te Aroha side Sat 22nd trip / track condition

Postby Ralfie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am

Thompsons Track is a public road so access is not a problem.
However going off the road onto 'side tracks' is entering private property and can be regarded as trespassing.

leeogrady
Driver/Navigator

Postby leeogrady » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Seriously?
Even though Thompson's is a public road does not guarantee that it is passable, in fact i guarantee that a standard road 4wd will not make it from Te Aroha to Kati.

There are many tracks off to the side of the main track that 'everyone uses' has anyone ever been 'done' for going on them?

shity old hilux
Bush Crasher

Postby shity old hilux » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Im going that day. Will b keen to come with u. Ill b in a 87 beam axle surf on 33 simexs. Went up 2 weeks ago. There was no slips then but unsure of now i live on the kaimais wether has been pritty shit recently as well.
Last edited by shity old hilux on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralfie
Hard Yaka

Postby Ralfie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 pm

leeogrady wrote:Seriously?
Even though Thompson's is a public road does not guarantee that it is passable, in fact i guarantee that a standard road 4wd will not make it from Te Aroha to Kati.

There are many tracks off to the side of the main track that 'everyone uses' has anyone ever been 'done' for going on them?

Yep, Thompsons is a public road (but unformed and unmaintained) hence why you can drive it. There are many 'roads' like that through the country.

The locals are not happy with some of the antics of people in their 4wds using the road (search forums for past details).
Just because "everyone uses them' doesn't make it right to use them. Going off the 'road' is trespassing and while I have yet to hear of anyone been 'done' as you say it will only be a matter of time.

Look at Muriwai Beach, South Head and the 'bombing range'. A couple of people have been 'done' for trespassing this year.

Jafa
Hard Yaka

Postby Jafa » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 pm

stick to the main track on the way up, if you want to have more of a challenge, then come down the Kati side, well as far as you can anyway.... :mrgreen:
'85 Hilux crawler, 3rz, duals, 4.7's, 4.88's, ARB's, 30 spline Longfields, 6 stud SNR4x4 Histeer, Airshocks up front, coiled rear, 40" Iroks.
^^^this shite is all about to change....^^^

021 273 9942
jafa@inspire.net.nz

klompy
Hard Yaka

Postby klompy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:37 pm

leeogrady wrote:Seriously?

I reckon a Morry 1000 or any car at all for that matter would make it thru.You dont need a 4wd up Thompsons as there isnt one made that can drive that track.What you need is the biggest #### off winch and power supply fitted to any thing even a garden trailer cause on the end of a winch is the only way thru.

ol_smokey.
Bush Crasher

Postby ol_smokey. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 am

Working thismorning :( anyone up for tomorrow?

Return to “Planning a trip?”