Tim's Tour , North Range, Ashhurst River, Takapari Road

yeti
Bruiser

Re: Tim's Tour , North Range, Ashhurst River, Takapari Road

Postby yeti » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:27 pm

TJ101 wrote:Guys. THANK YOU.

:D :D

Was a most excellent day out, with great company. Every one made us so welcome ,,,,Both Catherine and I had a good time, Greg you are a star.

Full report and some pictures etc when I have a decent wifi connection !!!

? Guessing shake shake City is christchurch ??

Tim

yeah sorry tim , down here on the mainland... :wink:
v8 tj...luvs the gas......

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Love the pic of the rental car up to its sills in the river :-)

Will flick you a text on Thursday Greg to see how you are getting on.

Cheers
Matt

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:11 pm

TJ101 wrote:Guys. THANK YOU.

:D :D

Was a most excellent day out, with great company. Every one made us so welcome ,,,,Both Catherine and I had a good time, Greg you are a star.

Full report and some pictures etc when I have a decent wifi connection !!!

? Guessing shake shake City is christchurch ??

Tim

Cheers for that Tim , but really, deciding where to go was the easy part , it's the people that come along and join in that make the trip , and we had a really good bunch so thanks to all who attended. enjoy the rest of your holiday Tim and Catherine, hope to catch up again soon

cheers
Greg
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

Lozza
Winch master

Postby Lozza » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:08 am

Mattman wrote:Love the pic of the rental car up to its sills in the river :-)

Cheers
Matt

Some more for ya.

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:49 am

Mattman wrote:Love the pic of the rental car up to its sills in the river :-)

Cheers
Matt

Had to go to Taupo to clear out my Grans house, while i was up there my Dad and I fixed front diff mount enough to get me around for a while anyway,
Findings are.
1 non original bolts had been used ( wrong size for bush) causing excessive movement, resulting in major wear and stress, end result = washer sized hole pulled completely through mushrooming the diff chassis mount.

Repaired by 50x50 mm square 6mm thick steel plate on top of chassis mount bracket and bolting the lot together again. not ideal but works fine for now.

Seems that on the way home from Taupo, a front wheel bearing may have collapsed, felt like wheel was trying lock up occasionally, but sounded like wheel was running over those ripple strips on the side of the road, with vibration up through floor and steering.

TRC Toyota Feilding had a look this morning and truck is now booked in for Monday to have front wheel bearings , front brake pads and rotors, front hubs and inner and outer cvs/axles replaced, and will get them to fix broken mounts and get the right mounts and bolts in it, drop/lower front torsion bars and remove overrider leaf from the back, to lower truck a bit and get cv's working at a better angle. $$$$$$$$ this is gonna hurt.
Yea, though I drive through the valley of death (and it's mudbogs), I shall fear no trail;for tho art modified is my rig, and thy lift kit and lockers they comfort me. Amen

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:17 am

Wow that is going to be some pingers Greg but good idea to lower the truck a touch.

Will make it handle a bit better and relief the pressure on the front end.

Are you sure it needs new CVS as well? My experience with CVS especially the inners is that they are pretty tough

Matt.

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:12 am

Mattman wrote:Wow that is going to be some pingers Greg but good idea to lower the truck a touch.

Will make it handle a bit better and relief the pressure on the front end.

Are you sure it needs new CVS as well? My experience with CVS especially the inners is that they are pretty tough

Matt.

Yup gonna cost alright, truck handles fine like it is but stuff wears out quicker so thats the main reason for dropping it back down to maybe half where it is now and leave the body lift in it, CV's are all pretty flogged, still work fine I guess but would rather start fresh, truck really hasn't been 100% since I bought it. It's a hilux should take way more of a hiding than what it got on the weekend

Greg

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:23 pm

My experience with inner CVS is that they dont often wear out even with heaps of lift and they are expensive as well.

Your damage had obviously occurred well before that trip cos as you say nothing hard there.

Take that dumb sway bar off on the front :-)

Crash bandicoot
Hard Yaka

Postby Crash bandicoot » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Does TRC fielding sell the wounded bull aswell??
Waiter...there is a drought in my glass.

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Greg, just for your info, both CV assemblies were replaced between 12 and 18 months before you got hold of the ute.

Never had troubles with the joints themselves, but other things have warranted their replacement such as the spline on the outer CV and fixed drive flange being stripped completely, hence why free wheeling hubs were thrown on because Toyota wanted over $300 for a machined piece of steel.

The RH outer boot was punctured by a stick, so I immediately stripped the joint right down, re-packed the grease and fitted a new boot.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Mehrts wrote:Greg, just for your info, both CV assemblies were replaced between 12 and 18 months before you got hold of the ute.

Never had troubles with the joints themselves, but other things have warranted their replacement such as the spline on the outer CV and fixed drive flange being stripped completely, hence why free wheeling hubs were thrown on because Toyota wanted over $300 for a machined piece of steel.

The RH outer boot was punctured by a stick, so I immediately stripped the joint right down, re-packed the grease and fitted a new boot.

Thanks for that James will let Dean know when he tears into it on Monday, am also ready to grab that cross member off ya mate.

cheers
Greg

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Sweet as. I can bring it round at some stage over the weekend if you like?
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:55 pm

am back on days friday and Saturday, nights sunday and Monday, will be dropping truck off monday morning to TRC and have a courtesy car, can pick up then if that suits

Mehrts
Hard Yaka

Postby Mehrts » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 pm

Yea, I should be free most of the time, so keep in touch, throw me a txt when you've got a moment to spare.
Toyhatsu Bitsalux

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am

Crash bandicoot wrote:Does TRC fielding sell the wounded bull aswell??

ha ha na they keep that for the next customer :lol: :lol: :lol:

they are a good bunch over there tho and have looked after me before, so I'll go back.
I could probably do it at home with some help but I can' afford the time it will take me to do it, so while they fix it I can get on with painting the house and earning more brownie points with the missus so I can go out and break more shit.

Greg

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Yay truck is fixed, yes it cost me buckets but it's all done and running sweet.

Gear box to do eventually but for now yeee ha

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Good to hear Greg. What's wrong with the box?

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:29 pm

was missing the caps on top of box and mud was packed in around the levers on the top, but atleast the mud was keeping most of the water out.

anyway was cleaned up, caps put on, and filled with oil, is a little whiney so think damage has been done, just a matter of time now I guess.
The clutch was the worst, down to rivits , had worn grooves in clutch plate and bolts were loose and some missing altogether, sure didn't get like that in 5 months of owning it

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:59 am

Hopefully the box will run for ages with a bit of noise!

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:06 am

yeah mate should be ok for a while, all feels fairly smooth

Marco
Driver/Navigator

Postby Marco » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:58 am

Excuse the radio music in the background :roll:

Mattman
Hard Yaka

Postby Mattman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Good video man, accept that initial music :-)

TJ101
Driver/Navigator

Postby TJ101 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 am

Thanks for the video clip Marco,, Great day,, brings back good memory's,, while we in the UK, have had floods here in Somerset ,,ever since getting back :(
997TT, RR TDV8 Vog SE, Puma 110 SW XS, 90 V8 Hybrid,55 S1
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:50 am

I went up Takapari Road 9th Feb, heavy rain. I got to a Gate with what looked like a DOC Sign on it and turned around there. Looking at the photos I guess I should have gone through the gate and gone on further that tracked looked good.

I just did a big loop Napier, Palmerston Nth back to Napier over 2 days but took in Peep-O-Day road a few back country roads, Takapari Rd, Taumata rd (Birch Rd)

Bad weather both days so not as scenic as i had hoped for.
Attachments
DSC00298SM.jpg
About the only sunny spot in 2 days for a coffee stop:-)
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

yup ya should have gone through, always open unless DOC have a lock on it for some reason ( usually in the paper if closed, or contact Doc office in PN), still a good drive in crap weather tho. Give us a call next time you are down

cheers
Greg

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm

TJ101 wrote:Thanks for the video clip Marco,, Great day,, brings back good memory's,, while we in the UK, have had floods here in Somerset ,,ever since getting back :(

thats no good aye Tim ,Have seen the pics on FB, thats a whole lot of water mate, the Landy will be getting a work out aye ???

Snafu
Hard Yaka

Postby Snafu » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks Greg.
Will hopefully do it again one weekend when it is nice weather.

I'm down in Napier about once every 6-8 weeks so not far from there compared to coming from Auckland:-
1999 Disco1, 300TDi, Snorkel, ARB Lockers, 9.5k Winch, Custom Bars & Sliders, +5in Lift. Silverstone MT-117
2007 Disco3 TDV6, eDiff, ARB Front Locker, Snorkel, ARB & Kaymar Bars, 12K Winch, Bash plates, Sliders, Llams, Maxxis MT's

TJ101
Driver/Navigator

Postby TJ101 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 am

WRNGLR wrote:
TJ101 wrote:Thanks for the video clip Marco,, Great day,, brings back good memory's,, while we in the UK, have had floods here in Somerset ,,ever since getting back :(

thats no good aye Tim ,Have seen the pics on FB, thats a whole lot of water mate, the Landy will be getting a work out aye ???

The 110 has been seen a fair bit of wadding,, up to about 250 mm over standard,, with all the axle oils dropped, and the underside disinfected afterwards,, not nice wadding in dead animals and shite !!

The main trunk road between Taunton and Street has now been shut for weeks, due to near 5 foot of flood water
Attachments
1901439_10151966338563931_2111294125_n.jpg
997TT, RR TDV8 Vog SE, Puma 110 SW XS, 90 V8 Hybrid,55 S1
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk

WRNGLR
Hard Yaka

Postby WRNGLR » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:17 pm

Man thats crazy, the weather pattern has just gone to shit hasn't it, good luck hope your place and workshop are ok

Return to “Planning a trip?”